Daylan Holt sent to Winston Salem

Chisoxfn

The White Sox sent outfield prospect Daylan Holt, who had been with the Birmingham Barons to Class High Winston Salem.

Holt was acquired by the White Sox along with Neil Cotts and Billy Koch from Oakland.

Darrin Ingram will replace Holt in Birmingham. Ingram played for the Baron's last season. He was the Baron's team leader in homers, with 17.

Was Ingram promoted from W-Salem or did he come the DL?

Is Holt a legitimate prospect, or was he a throw-in on the Koch trade?

IIRC, the word on Holt was that he had some skills but no one seems to think he's anything more than a C-level prospect....

Holt was a 3rd round pick of the A's if I'm not mistaken. Born late 1978 so the clock is ticking in terms of him making it. He had a very fine Arizona Fall League and his batting stroke really came around last year. Has enough arm for right field ... but all in all does not appear to be a blue-chipper.

Cotts on the other had looks like a comer. He misses a lot of bats, and has good movement on his pitches. Doing well so far in Birmingham, and just turned 23. Not overpowering velocity, but changes speeds well and know how to pitch.

News on another prospect: Corwin Malone picked up the win last night for Birmingham but walked a bunch of guys again ... I think 7 walks. So he still hasn't found his command. I know the Sox were worried that he regressed in this area last year ... he walked as many as he struck out. I hope they get him straightened out.

Off the top of my head Holt went to one of the Texas schools where he was one of the best power hitting prospects in the country. He got injured and then came into the majors and was slumping. Last season he seemed to turn the corner and he's one of those guys that could turn into a very good prospect or could just continue to flounder.

Cotts is legit though. The kid has control issues, but I think he still hasn't given up a run now in two starts.