Our New Banner

Leonard Zelig

If this has been brought up previously, I apologize, but I have not seen it.

Interesting note on that banner: Has anybody else noticed that Mark Buherle & Kerry Wood have pitched in exactly the same number of games? MB threw 25 games in relief in 2000, so KW has more starts, but the numbers are very similar, esp. considering KW is considered a god in the baseball media and MB is kind if an afterthought at best.

KW MB

Games 164 164

Games Started 164 139

Record 67-50 69-45

ERA 3.63 3.76

CG 11 15

Shut outs 5 5

WHIP 1.26 1.24

HR 109 109

Ks 1209 581

BB 512 240

K/BB 2.36 2.42

Wild Pitches 45 8

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Of what- how overhyped he is? Yes I wish Jon Garland was as overhyped as Mark Prior is... Wait a second....I'm sorry he was overhyped just like Prior is today.

Oh great! Another troll! Are we affiliated with the MLB site now?

QUOTE(JayMariotti @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
You don't need stats to know that Kerry Wood is the best pitcher outside of Chicago.  If the Cubs would hire intelligent trainers, Wood would put up huge stats.  Its all managements fault

KW=Most overrated SP in MLB

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
KW=Most overrated SP in MLB

I'm in no way a cub sympathizer, but Kerry Wood has nasty stuff. You can't say that the way the Cubs have handled him hasnt hurt his career. Hell, I dont see how you can call someone who struck out 20 guys in a game overrated. So what if he's injury prone, he has GREAT stuff and the way the Cubs have handled his arm by leaving him out there too long etc. has hurt his career.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
I'm in no way a cub sympathizer, but Kerry Wood has nasty stuff.  You can't say that the way the Cubs have handled him hasnt hurt his career.  Hell, I dont see how you can call someone who struck out 20 guys in a game overrated.  So what if he's injury prone, he has GREAT stuff and the way the Cubs have handled his arm by leaving him out there too long etc. has hurt his career.

It didn't seem to hurt Roger Clemens career too much.

In fact, in years 3 through 9 of his career, Clemens's low IP total was 228.3.

MB is in the same boat as Roger as far as IP are concerned, but then again, MB doesn't throw it in the mid to high 90s either.

The Cubs could maybe handle Wood a little better, but the fact remains that he is injury prone, and while he is a solid pitcher, he is overrated, period. He IS made out to be a god by many, and that is something he is not.

And I don't view Prior as overhyped. The guy put up an 18-6 2.43 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 10.5 K/9, 5 K/BB in his second season. When healthy, that is what you will get out of Prior. He is injury prone, not overhyped.

Overhyped IS Jon Garland, who has yet to put up an ERA of under 4.50, was a very good prospect coming up.