The question so obvious that noone thought to ask

Who would you most like to see in a Bears uniform?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most like to see in a Bears uniform?

• Alex Smith
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Ronnie Brown
    • Carnell Williams
    • Cedric Benson
    • Braylon Edwards
    • Mike Williams
    • Derrick Johnson
    • Antrel Rolle
    • Other

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
As I was trying to explain I don't think Benson will be bad I would just prefer to go another route.

Yeah, I disagree, but it's very close.

But I'll be crying with you (or puking) if the Bears take Gore in the 2nd round.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gore in the 4th would be fine, but we can not really take the risk that he will be there when we pick, because if he is not than we would have to settle on a guy like Anonthy Davis, etc, who have major question marks. I think Gore is not as sure of a thing as many are thinking, and I have watched him play a lot and he never wowed me like Portis or McGahee, I know that Gore was supposed to be the starter, but I just never saw it.

And Cadillac has been very durable, has good hands, and has shown the ability to work between the tackles.

Back up running back will probably get minimum 10 touches a game, where as 2nd reciever may not even have 1 ball thrown his way.

(Edit)

There is no reason to believe that Benson would be a mistake. He could very well turn out to be the most productive and best back in the draft.

Just he does not seem as special as the other 2 rb options.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
Back up running back will probably get minimum 10 touches a game, where as 2nd reciever may not even have 1 ball thrown his way.

BUT if you have Moose and MW on the field at the same time that will make TJ twice the runner he was last year

And if TJ stays healthy and puts together a full season of production than the Bears are in great shape.

If he does not, the offense fails because we have no running back.

The Bears are not going to be the Colts, or another team that is going to win the game throwing the ball.

Expect ball control and defense. And if you build that style of team, and your running back goes down, your team is done.

(Edit)

And I expect that the Bears will draft a TE or WR in the 2nd, which means that no matter what Mush will be paired with a significant upgrade.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)

I agree with most of what you said, but on this, huh? Sure you could get a freak game where not one pass would go to the #2 receiver, but on average he'll get more than a couple balls per game. And just about every game he'll have one pass his way.

Mush and Bray/Mike gives you 2 solid receivers that you'll always have to wrry about. This will force defenses to have a LB or 2 drop back in coverage or have safeties deeper. This is a great advantage for RB's liek TJ because once he get's through the line, he has more room to roam. He had 900-some yards last year and missed like 1 or 2 games. A full season would have had him well over 1000.

Bears 2 rb:

Anthony Thomas 122 404 3.3 2

Bears 2 WR:

Bobby Wade 42 481 11.5 0

In Grossmans games last year:

Lions:

Terrel 5 catches

Thomas Jones 6

Rest 1

Packers:

Wade 3 catches

Rest 2 catches

Vikings:

Jones 8

Wade 4

Rest 2 or less

Not a large sample, and you can argue that M Williams is better, but not that many throws to the same target in any game, outside of RB.

SB

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
Mush and Bray/Mike gives you 2 solid receivers that you'll always have to wrry about. This will force defenses to have a LB or 2 drop back in coverage or have safeties deeper. This is a great advantage for RB's liek TJ because once he get's through the line, he has more room to roam. He had 900-some yards last year and missed like 1 or 2 games. A full season would have had him well over 1000.

Since when have we been a passing team, though? In the cold months of December, it's a hell of a lot easier to have your offense running on the back of Benson/Caddy than on the arm of Grossman.

I know I'm sounding like one of the old, Doug Baffone "Run the ball down their throats and awesome defense" type of guys, but I believe a productive back will have more of an effect on this team than a WR.

But like I said, I won't be mad if they grab Williams/Edwards. I'm still hesitant on Edwards, but I'd have to say if they grab Williams or Benson, it's at the point where I'd be extremely pleased. If they took Johnson, I'd faint out of happiness... :D

Edited by CWSGuy406

You ask what happens if TJ goes down?

Our 2nd round RB plays in his place

Depth of RB>Depth or WR in this draft

1) Mike Williams

2) Ciatrick Fason

TJ goes down, we have a backup.

We also have two great WR's that will give Rex options and open our running game.

Yeah but Reggie Brown, Heath Miller, etc are > Fason, and will probably be around at our 2nd pick.

I think the Bears are building a defense and running team.

Ball control wins championships, it may not be sexy, but look at who has won the last 4 Super Bowls.

Actually the last 5 have been defensive teams.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
Yeah but Reggie Brown, Heath Miller, etc are > Fason, and will probably be around at our 2nd pick.

I think the Bears are building a defense and running team.

Ball control wins championships, it may not be sexy, but look at who has won the last 4 Super Bowls.

SB

Well, good-to-great defenses has been consistent in all four.

And I don't see any star WR's on those teams, either, though some will argue that Troy Brown might have been.

Which is why I still want them to take Derrick Johnson. Best LB core in football, I'm tellin' ya, if they take him.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:15 AM)
Not a large sample, and you can argue that M Williams is better, but not that many throws to the same target in any game, outside of RB.

Okay, but still, Wade (our #2 receiver...I guess...) caught a pass in every game. So it's at least exaggerating to suggest that he may often not get a pass thrown to him, no? (Especially with the attention focused hard on Mush, as it will be.)

Edit: And hey, I want a rb too. But I'm trying to be fair about this, and I'm open to wr arguments.

Edited by jackie hayes

A good offensive line will open up more holes than a good passing attack.

And exactly, they dont have any star WR, let alone 2 of them.

I would love to get DJ or Rolle, but if they go that route they have to trade down, because Carlos Rogers would also merit consideration.

Also half of the Bear fans would promptly commit suicide if we got more defense.

Jackie,

And our 2nd rb touched the ball 3x more than Wade.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
Jackie,

And our 2nd rb touched the ball 3x more than Wade.

SB

Okay. But if Marvin Harrison gets 90 touches and Chris Brown gets 220 touches, you're telling me that Chris Brown is therefore 250% more important than Marvin Harrison? Not buying it.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
No matter the offensive line, we couldn't run last year when the defense has no worries about you passing game and load the box.

Which is why we picked up Moose. And I'm 99.9% certain that Turner wants to use Gage a hell of a lot more than Terry Shea used him.

I like Mike Williams, but I think having a top back -- who will touch the ball 20-35 times a game -- is more important than a wide receiver, who won't get the ball half the time.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Which is why we picked up Moose.  And I'm 99.9% certain that Turner wants to use Gage a hell of a lot more than Terry Shea used him.

I like Mike Williams, but I think having a top back -- who will touch the ball 20-35 times a game -- is more important than a wide receiver, who won't get the ball half the time.

And without a #2 reciever opposing defenses can stop Moose, then we will be counting on Wade and Gage to keep the defense honest.