Audioslave - first US rock band to perform in Cuba

Goldmember

Nice try, but that's not what I said.

f*** that. That's exactly what you said.

You said they were cowards for "talking behind the government's back" and that rather than play music, they should go protest. Hmmm, what's going to have more potential to get your opinion heard: being 4 guys in a protest in Washington DC or selling a few million records while being on the radio and tv?

You talked all this s*** right from the start of this thread, calling them Communist sympathizers and Chris Cornell a hypocrite when THEY ARE PLAYING A f***ING CONCERT.

So typical of lefties... jpshakehead.gif

Yeah, sorry. I forgot that everything vaguely related to Cuba is representative of Communism and that making public statements is "talking behind backs".

"Kids are the same all over the world, and we are extremely proud and excited to bring rock 'n' roll to the youth of Cuba. It's all about the music, and free expression of music crosses all barriers. This is a rare opportunity, and we are grateful and honored to have the support of both countries," said Audioslave.

Let's run this through the TheBigHurt35 translator:

"Kids are the same all over the world, and we are extremely proud and excited to bring Marxism to the youth of Cuba. It's all about saying 'f*** you' to America, and equal distribution of wealth that crosses all barriers. This is a rare opportunity, and we are grateful and honored to have sex with Fidel Castro...but don't tell the US government because this is hush hush," said Audioslave.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
f*** that.  That's exactly what you said.

No, it's not. I never said that they could only protest in Washington and that playing anywhere else makes them cowardly. You can argue otherwise, but you'd be putting words in my mouth.

Funny how "freedom of speech" applies only to liberal rock bands and not conservatives who take issue with said bands when they play shows in Cuba on a stage used for anti-American rallies.

It's just an opinion. If you don't like it, don't read my posts.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

After Cuba, Audioslave is playing in Mexico, the US, Portugal, Spain, Italy, UK, Austria, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark, Belgium, Switzlerland, Norway, and Ireland.

In which of these countries can one play potentially political music without being labeled a coward?

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
After Cuba, Audioslave is playing in Mexico, the US, Portugal, Spain, Italy, UK, Austria, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark, Belgium, Switzlerland, Norway, and Ireland.

In which of these countries can one play potentially political music without being labeled a coward?

None of the aforementioned nations are lead by a rogue government or under an American embargo. What's your point?

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Why is that relevant to PLAYING MUSIC?

Because these factors...

(1) They're playing on the Anti-Imperialist Stage, which the Cuban government has used many times to protest against the U.S.

(2) The U.S. is currently involved in a controversial war and is being accused by many of being "imperialist."

(3) The former incarnation of Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, was very political and very blatantly liberal.

...strongly suggest that it may be just as much about politics. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that I am.

If I'm in a rock band that's had a history of being very vocally political and very politically left and want to play a show that's "only about music", I don't play a concert in Cuba on the Anti-Imperialist stage during the Iraqi War. And if doing so raises some eyebrows, I shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

(1) They're playing on the Anti-Imperialist Stage, which the Cuban government has used many times to protest against the U.S.

So you know they chose this stage because it had be used to protest against the US and not because it the best available one or the largest vanue?

(2) The U.S. is currently involved in a controversial war and is being accused by many of being "imperialist."

Presumes they went there or chose the stage for political reasons.

(3) The former incarnation of Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, was very political and very blatantly liberal.

Audioslave's music is not that similar to Rage's, though some members like Tom Morello are still politically active. Chris Cornell is not Zach de la Rocha.

If I'm in a rock band that's had a history of being very vocally political and very politically left and want to play a show that's "only about music", I don't play a concert in Cuba on the Anti-Imperialist stage during the Iraqi War.

How about if you're in a rock band that isn't politically vocal and you released a new album and want to do an international tour and don't feel like waiting until an potentially endless war ends.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
How about if you're in a rock band that isn't politically vocal and you released a new album and want to do an international tour and don't feel like waiting until an potentially endless war ends.

Not playing in Cuba, Iran, or North Korea would be a good place to start.

This is a f***ing stupid argument.

Them playing in Cuba is not politically based. Zach de la Rocha and Chris Cornell are NOTHING like each other in terms of political outspoken-ness. Cuba is just one stop on the INTERNATIONAL tour to promote a NEW ALBUM.

On the same stage as anti-American protests are held? Thats called the press finding out about something and running it for all its worth to get notoriety. Lets not make more out of something than we should guys.

Because of our governments political stance with regards to Cuba, no Audioslave fans in that country are allowed to enjoy the music?

Stupid s*** argument, sorry.

Since Tom Morello is the co-founder of Axis of Justice, a 'leftist political action site', just about everything he does in the public arena has political overtones, whether he intends it or not. But I am wondering how playing in Cuba coincides with his group's mission statement,

"We aim to build a bridge between fans of music around the world and local political organizations to effectively organize around issues of peace, human rights, and economic justice." Cuba is so far away from any of those three things that isn't funny.