Reporting on My Trip to Denver to see the Sox

elrockinMT

Fellow Soxtalk fans: The games were simply the best. Tuesday night was a pitchers duel. Contreras pitched a great game, but the pitcher who impressed me the most was Cotts. The kid was simply lights out for 2 relief innings. He K'd four and the other two couldn't get the ball past the picthers mound. Neal was absolutely superb.

Wed night was a blow out. My biggest thrill was seeing the Big Hurt hit that mammoth pinch hit homer. You have to remember this is my first time of seeing Frank other than on TV. The Rockies fans were cheering for the Big Hurt to bat and when Crede delivered that homer you just knew Frank was ready to do something too. The fans were clapping and yeling for the Sox and the Big Hurt. Frank launched one into the CF area and the crowd went cracy for the Sox and Big Hurt.

Politte getting that "fake bunt then swing away" hit was something else to see. What a total surprise to the Rockies infield. The RF then threw the ball towards third and hit the 2B umpire knocking him to the ground. What a play that was to see. I really liked Shingo though. He gave up another homer and his slow stuff, but after that it was like, "use my fastball to set the slow curve up" thought process and he K'd the side. You could tell he was needing a dose of confidence.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
The papers say Frank got a standing O, even from the Rox fans.

Standing ovation even when they just announced him as the PH and then it went wild after he hit that homer. Goose bumps man!

Standing ovation even when they just announced him as the PH and then it went wild after he hit that homer. Goose bumps man!

So glad you had a great time. You Montana guys don't get much of a chance to see the Sox live and in person. I was wondering if you saw the Thomas HR, good for you, that's fantastic.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
The papers say Frank got a standing O, even from the Rox fans.

It sounded like it too on the broadcast, and then they just went nuts when he hit the homer. And Frank's never been that good as a pinch hitter either, so I'm sure he probably enjoyed that part as well.

QUOTE(robin_ventura_eternal @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
poor rockies fans. they might as well cheer for the sox, the rockies are just so downright horrible this year.

I hear ya but theres a couple good looking young players on the Rox, I hope they stick it out and build with these guys and Clint Hurdle. I think that franchise hurt itself in the past by trading everybody every couple years. Keep the good parts and keep add guys who are better as opprortunities come, one step at a time.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
I hear ya but theres a couple good looking young players on the Rox, I hope they stick it out and build with these guys and Clint Hurdle.  I think that franchise hurt itself in the past by trading everybody every couple years.  Keep the good parts and keep add guys who are better as opprortunities come, one step at a time.

They've seen the light. They'll have room to move after this season when they stop paying Preston Wilson and Denny Neagle IIRC. That's around $20 million in payroll freed up. Rebuild with the young guys and invest in YOUNG pitching.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
They've seen the light. They'll have room to move after this season when they stop paying Preston Wilson and Denny Neagle IIRC. That's around $20 million in payroll freed up. Rebuild with the young guys and invest in YOUNG pitching.

That was supposedly Francis' worst outing of the season at Coors but he still fought like a tiger all night. Glad we didn't catch him on a good night. Gutzy 24 year old left hander.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Fellow Soxtalk fans: The games were simply the best. Tuesday night was a pitchers duel. Contreras pitched a great game, but the pitcher who impressed me the most was Cotts. The kid was simply lights out for 2 relief innings. He K'd four and the other two couldn't get the ball past the picthers mound. Neal was absolutely superb.

Wed night was a blow out. My biggest thrill was seeing the Big Hurt hit that mammoth pinch hit homer. You have to remember this is my first time of seeing Frank other than on TV. The Rockies fans were cheering for the Big Hurt to bat and when Crede delivered that homer you just knew Frank was ready to do something too. The fans were clapping and yeling for the Sox and the Big Hurt. Frank launched one into the CF area and the crowd went cracy for the Sox and Big Hurt.

Politte getting that "fake bunt then swing away" hit was something else to see. What a total surprise to the Rockies infield. The RF then threw the ball towards third and hit the 2B umpire knocking him to the ground. What a play that was to see. I really liked Shingo though. He gave up another homer and his slow stuff, but after that it was like, "use my fastball to set the slow curve up" thought process and he K'd the side. You could tell he was needing a dose of confidence.

How was Coors Field? It looked real nice on TV. And real empty to.

QUOTE(robin_ventura_eternal @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
poor rockies fans. they might as well cheer for the sox, the rockies are just so downright horrible this year.

It kind of made you feel bad for the Rockies team to hear fans start chanting "Go Broncos" in the 8th and 9th as the Sox poured it on. People were yelling at the Rockies that they would get the same cheers they were giving the Sox, if they were really a winning ball club. However, as a Sox fan I was loving the offensive show.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
So glad you had a great time.  You Montana guys don't get much of a chance to see the Sox live and in person.  I was wondering if you saw the Thomas HR, good for you, that's fantastic.

After I saw Frank hit that bomb I told my wife I could die happy now. The only thing I asked her to do was wait a coule days after the funeral before spending my insurance money and hooking up with a young stud.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:30 AM)
How was Coors Field? It looked real nice on TV. And real empty to.

Coors is a beautiful field, but as you said even with 20K plus it looked empty. People there were saying that the ball club resembles a AAA club now and it will be awhile till they can produce a winner again. I think the only real star they have left is Helton, and maybe Wilson.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
What did you end up doing in the area, any good spots I should know about?

We stayed at the Red Lion Hotel-Downtown. It is right next to Invesco Field and they had a complimentary shuttle to take you to the ballpark and pick you up afterwards. That area around the park is full of nice sports bars and places to eat. We had a great meal at the Denver Chop House and Brewery, which is only about 2-3 blocks from the park. Went to the Denver Zoo and ended up there for over 4 hours. Lots of fun. Only had 1 full day to take in any attractions.