19 year old age limit

SB,

When top talent went to college and then the NBA, it worked.

Now, they don't, and the NBA is on a decline.

The NBA must feel that college does the trick, and I tend to agree, so this is the rule they've come up with.

What would your suggestion be to fix it, since you don't agree?

Edit: And I'm curious about your thoughts on the NFL having a rule pertaining to age.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things just work a lot better when there is an age limit. I would say that the NFL has no complaints with their rule that no one can enter the NFL until 3 years after their graduation. I know this isn't a great comparison, but you can't drive before you're 16, you can't serve in the army before you're 18, you can't drink before you're 21 (at least legally :P ). If the NBA feels that they need to put in an age limit in order to keep the quality of the game up, then that's there perrogative. It's their right to do that since it is their organization. Playing in the NBA is a great privelege, not a god given right. If they feel that in general most 18 in 19 year olds aren't ready, then why shouldn't they make a rule saying you must be a certain age to enter? There have been about 5 guys in the history of the NBA that have any kind of impact that are under 20. I'm sure there are people that are physically able to drive well or that can handle their liquor (actually I know that one from experience) that are under age, but in general it does more harm than good to allow such things. Every year there are at least 5 (probably more like ten, but I know this one for sure) guys with real pro potential that just need some more seasoning before they can stick in the league, but they go ahead and declare for the draft anyways because the money blinds them or they get some bad advice. Then they are stuck in basketball purgatory, playing on NBDL teams trying desperately for some NBA team to give them a shot. Then they are simply done with basketball in about 5 years, having missed out on the big money because they were to eagar. Then they are stuck in a real job unless they feel like having a bunch of student loan payments to make to get that education that they could have had for free. An age limit would do a lot more to help guys like Marcus Taylor or Omar Cooke than it would to hurt the rare Lebron or Amare.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I never thought in my life I could actually use Doogie Howser in an argument, but it paid off.

I do not think the NBA's problem will be fixed when the age is raised to 19. I think that it will have almost no impact. Instead of there being 4-5 18 year olds drafted, there will be 10-11 19 year olds drafted.

What does the NBA need to do to fix itself?

1) Figure out what it wants to sell and market. The NBA is all over the place, they need to think about what they feel is a "good" game, and then try and facilitate that style of play. They have changed rules like hand checking, zone, 3-point line, illegal defense, etc. I really do not know the technical aspects of the game, but it is clear that the NBA has been changing rules to try and get the game to be something. But what exactly? They seem to hammer the NBA finals as boring, etc. They were the 2 best teams, and 1 of them was the defending champ. Its clear that their style of basketball is successful, so the NBA needs to change the game, or else more teams will start to duplicate the Piston's and then you will have more "boring" games.

2) This is all subjective. If the Bulls had been winning for the last 6 years, we may very well be saying that the NBA is at its glory days. When your team is losing the sport just does not feel fun anymore. When I watch a game it does not seem different, but I just wonder why I used to actually enjoy watching it.

3) Repair the relationship with the people that have been displaced by the NBA. Try and find out what they enjoy watching. If the flashy players are not what people want, perhaps the NBA should do something to try and get teams to pick up more team players.

I do not really know, the biggest problem I have with the NBA is it just seems to be in its decline.

As for the NFL, the answer is the same. I do not think an NFL team would draft an 18 year old player and put them on the field if they thought there was a risk. What would they have to gain? Thousands of dollars in attorneys fees? It just makes no sense. They draft the best available, or best potential. If they draft on potential they are not going to go out and try and destroy it. They are going to try and protect their investment and make sure that it pans out.

I guess I just do not see why the NCAA will protect students more than a professional team would.

SB

First off, I'd like to say that I highly doubt that the new draft rule affects more than about 5 guys in a given year, whereas the NFL rule affects tons. The NBA rule doesn't really go far enough, they really need to set it at 20 if the want to make a difference. That being said, the NFL would be the same as the NBA draft had they not started with an age limit. As I said, teams are always going to take the player that they think will help the team the most. If their choice is between a guy that's going to a mediocre starter at best and a guy that probably is only going to help on special teams for a year or two but looks like he might be a star, they'll take the latter. The difference is that the age limit has been around so long that they are used to it and all of the top players from the current Junior, Sophmore, Freshmen, and High School senior classes are still there. If there was no age limit, many of these players probably would have declared, sapping the talent and forcing them to go younger. Guys like Reggie Bush or Adrian Peterson would be gone by now instead of being draft eligible after this season, meaning you'd have to probably look at a high schooler or a little used college freshmen to find someone that has the kind of tools you look for in a top level player. It would actually probably be easier for NFL teams to handle this because their roster is deeper, but on the other hand the physical pounding is much worse.

I do not think the NBA's problem will be fixed when the age is raised to 19. I think that it will have almost no impact. Instead of there being 4-5 18 year olds drafted, there will be 10-11 19 year olds drafted.

I hope you are wrong on this one. I have a feeling what will happen is that the HS players that were previously declaring for the draft will go to college and realize they aren't actually ready/good enough for the NBA just yet and end up staying longer. Once they get there and realize they have a lot to learn and struggle some, they may not be such a hot commodity after year one.

I hope that is the actual effect of this rule, because I would hate for the college game to have to deal with another 8-10 players a year wanting to jump after one year. I do not think that is good for the college game, which I care about far more than the NBA.