19 year old age limit

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
About to be put into play...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091116

Yipee :headshake

19 is such a dumbass age limit. If they insist on an age limit ( which i mostly agree) why not make it 20 years old? If they want players to mature how about them doing so for multiple years at college rather than just one.

Not to mention players such as OJ Mayo will already be 19 by their senior year of high school, and to make it even worse, they can turn 19 up to draft night. What this will do is turn only a few of the elite players to college, the others will already be 19 years old at the time, or will attend prep school for a year, take it easy, and enter the draft out of high school anyways. This just goes to show you who's really running the NBA, its not Stern, its Hunter, the PA, and the agents. :nono

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
19 is such a dumbass age limit. If they insist on an age limit ( which i mostly agree) why not make it 20 years old? If they want players to mature how about them doing so for multiple years at college rather than just one.

i dont think loul deng would like you bery much :nono

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Not to mention players such as OJ Mayo will already be 19 by their senior year of high school, and to make it even worse, they can turn 19 up to draft night. What this will do is turn only a few of the elite players to college, the others will already be 19 years old at the time, or will attend prep school for a year, take it easy, and enter the draft out of high school anyways. This just goes to show you who's really running the NBA, its not Stern, its Hunter, the PA, and the agents.  :nono

Stern should have stuck to what he has always wanted which is a 20 year old limit. I wouldn't have really cared if they locked out or not if they got that done and lowered the amount of years on a max contract and the amount of money per years. One of those two got done and it got done relatively quick so i cannot complain. Stern is far and away the best commissioner in sports currently, in my opinion anyway.

Ohio State and Texas fans are cheering right now. Well that is if they realize they have basketball teams also. Kevin Durant a top 3 PF with a superb outside stroke at 6'10 and growing is only 16 years old and won't be 19 until after his sophomore year, so UT gets him for two. Also Ohio State has a great class lined up and will most likely get Greg Oden and Mike Conley to top it off. Good luck to anyone trying to defend Oden for that one year in college. :ph34r:

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Stern should have stuck to what he has always wanted which is a 20 year old limit. I wouldn't have really cared if they locked out or not if they got that done and lowered the amount of years on a max contract and the amount of money per years.  One of those two got done and it got done relatively quick so i cannot complain. Stern is far and away the best commissioner in sports currently, in my opinion anyway.

At least he's doing something. 20 would have been ideal, but give credit to Stern for getting somthing done.

I think this will help to improve the quality of the game (at least I hope so) in that players will come in one step closer to being NBA-ready instead of bench-warming projects who, unfortunately, are sometimes either overhyped to begin with or their growth is stunted by sitting on the bench...

And yeah, he's probably the best commisioner.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
At least he's doing something.  20 would have been ideal, but give credit to Stern for getting somthing done. 

I think this will help to improve the quality of the game (at least I hope so) in that players will come in one step closer to being NBA-ready instead of bench-warming projects who, unfortunately, are sometimes either overhyped to begin with or their growth is stunted by sitting on the bench...

And yeah, he's probably the best commisioner.

I like what he has done thus far. Hopefully the next time they have their talks ( six years from now i believe) it will be raised to twenty.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)

I'm glad they've at least got some kind of an age limit. I'd rather have it be 20, but at least they're one step closer to getting it to 20.

From a sports perspective I wish this was a non-issue and that teams just wouldn't want a fresh out of high school kid. Again, from a fan's persective I think this is a good idea.

From a legalistic, free market, capitalist point of view, it doesn't seem fair. Why should some kid be locked out of making a living? From a ready for life in the NBA point of view is one year of college as a varsity athlete really going to prepare them for life in the NBA?

I really like this, I know some people dont care for it but most highschool kids arent ready for the NBA yet with the exception of a couple(Lebron, Howard, Carmelo(even though he went to college 1 year) and it gives them an extra year of competetive basketball to get ready for the NBA, Also it makes college basketball a lot more competetive since teams for at least 1 year will have players like Lebron and Howard...

I think that you will see more 18-19 year olds head for Europe to play for a year or 2 and then come back.

If you want the money, you do not have to play in the NBA.

I am against any sort of age limit on all sports, as it should be up to the team and the player to decide what is best for them. If Microsoft wanted to hire an 18 year old and pay them $10million, you would not see IBM try and make the US create a law that says you have to be 19 before you can be a computer programmer.

::shrugs::

There is really no reason for this rule, and I hope it burns the NBA with some of the best young talent going over seas.

SB

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
Wait, wouldn't HSers be able tp play anyway, considering they would be 19 by the time they play in the NBA?

If no, this would be effective this year right? So no HSers to the draft?

You have to be that age by the day of the draft, not the start of the season.

I dont think many kids will go to Europe, I guess the ones that really really need the money might but the majority will go to college go to all their classes 1st semester to be elgible for 2nd, finish the basketball season and than basicly not go to the rest of their classes because they are planning on going into the draft.