Depression or Elation?

The Ginger Kid

Man, I can't help but think that this season is going to end on one extreme or the other -- absolute joy or drunken, puppy-kicking, wife-beating depression. Seems there's no middle ground now that the Sox have had this kind of start.

In '83 I was devastated by the quick departure from the playoffs. Never saw it coming. Was convinced they were going to win it all.

In '93 it was a different story, good team that was coming back with a chance the next season (f*** you Reinsdorf).

And 2000 was just a case of backing into the playoffs with a bunch of young guns and an MVP candidate who played like s***.

But this year...

If they DON'T make the playoffs it will be crushing, especially after the lead they've built up.

If they DO and don't get to the big dance...ugh, devastating. A winter spent analyzing what could have been.

And if they make it to the WS, a first in my lifetime...it's too much to ponder at this point.

The emotional commitment has been made -- for the sake of my dog, I pray they don't let me down.

I always believe in this team (sometimes too much), but I hate to put a stamp on it. I didn't make a preseason prediction for that reason, because I kind of hate determining our destiny before it happens. It kind of makes the season a waste IMO.

I feel we can do this though. Look at our record in series' on the year (it's in Mr. Eye's sig), the playoffs is just a series of series'. I'd have to say I like our chances.

Most of this team will be back for next season. I'm sure we'll lose a few guys, but they'll be replaced adequetly. I don't think we'll be gangbusters like this year, but ideally we should have a good shot at winning the division in 2006, barring major injury, of course.

I agree. I am trying not to get too high. You want to start thinking about how deep we can go into the playoffs, but in the first series, we could have a couple of bad games and BOOM ... we're out. I hate to admit it, I am scared if we get to the playoffs of a slump like Thomas/Konerko/Ordonez had in 2000.

This is the win-it-all team.

These are the guys who have a shot. Next season either the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets or some other wealthy team will underperform and look to our strategy as a way to get better. They'll buy all the players that are perfect for our system and trade to fill holes. We'll be obsolete at our own game.

Of course, we have the best OzzieBall player in the country, Scott Podsednik.

I'd be bummed if the Sox didn't do as well as I hope they can, but it doesn't affect my mood like it used to.

I have enough real things to think about, I'm not letting sports mess with my mind.

I'm just enjoying every Big Hurt 3-run jack, every AJ walkoff magic moment, every Scotty Pods swipe, every Dream Pollitte "makin' it look easy" outing, every knee-slappingly hilarious Ozzie press conference, and if the big prize doesn't come our way, well, that shouldn't exactly SURPRISE anyone, since it's been 8 decades plus since any Sox fan got to brag about being the champs!

Life is a series of moments, enjoy the good ones and try to let the bad ones vanish quickly........................that's quite "zen", isn't it?

:D

I think this is another 2000-type season where we have to win it this year; there's just too much magic that won't be back for 2006. People playing way over their heads, way over their career numbers, that sort of stuff.

This team won't repeat. That's why I am so willing in trade threads to sell off the entire farm for this year. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing, not just for me, not just for all of us, but for Uncle Jerry too. He's getting up there in age; come on, I'm sure he wants a ring.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
I agree. I am trying not to get too high. You want to start thinking about how deep we can go into the playoffs, but in the first series, we could have a couple of bad games and BOOM ... we're out. I hate to admit it, I am scared if we get to the playoffs of a slump like Thomas/Konerko/Ordonez had in 2000.

Don't worry about the offense. It will be pitching that will determine our postseason fate. To that end, I keep posting that we need a 4th starter other than Contreras or El Duque to push us to the promised land.

In 1983, we had the pitching (our ace-in-the-hole 4th starter Britt Burns), but then Vance Law broke for the plate after the Dybber rounded second with his head down on Julio Cruz's sharp single to left to rob us of our best scoring chance. (A wild pitch would have scored Law if he'd stayed put.) (I only caught the game on radio but can remember it like it was yesterday.)

This year, I think ya gotta believe this team can go all the way, especially if we match the 1917 Sox as the only other squad to pass 100 wins.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
I think this is another 2000-type season where we have to win it this year; there's just too much magic that won't be back for 2006. People playing way over their heads, way over their career numbers, that sort of stuff.

This team won't repeat. That's why I am so willing in trade threads to sell off the entire farm for this year. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing, not just for me, not just for all of us, but for Uncle Jerry too. He's getting up there in age; come on, I'm sure he wants a ring.

Who's playing over their heads besides Garland, necessarily? It seems to me that a bunch of the hitters are having the types of seasons that they should be having. I had Iguchi pegged at right where he's at. Podz is having a great season, but his power numbers are way below where they should be and he's hitting 25 points below his career high. Kong and Frank are supplying plenty of power but no average. Crede is having another Credelicious year at .240/20hr. Uribe is having a mediocre season offensively. Rowand is right there where he should be.

On the pitching side, Buehrle is having the season you'd expect him to have. Garcia is having about the season you'd expect him to have. Maybe overperfoming a little, but this is not exactly out of bounds with what he has done.

I think this team is very well primed for a 2006 run, if not a 2007 run.

EDIT: I guess Dye is hitting lights out and way over his head

Edited by Hideaway Lights

The thing I really like about this team is that they are not streaky. They have been insanely consistent all year. We haven't had a bad losing streak up to this point, and that is saying a lot. The baseball season is so long, sometimes you go through streaks like that because it is hard to keep focused. Ozzie has done a great job of getting everyone involved and keeping the focus on the next game and not what could be. If we continue our consistency, I expect big things from this team in the playoffs.