Some Perspective, Please

The Critic

So far, the "feel-good story of the summer" has been Big Dust turning the fortunes around of the heretofore woebegone Lovable Losers on the North Side. BIG dreams and HIGH hopes abound at the Hallowed Ballyard, where everything is roses and chirping birds and blue skies...the beer is cold, the women are hot, and the GOOD TIMES ROLL at Chewing Gum Park!!!

Meanwhile, on the "dark side of town", the storm clouds gather over "US SellYourName Field", where the manager's head is perched on the chopping block, the GM is the laughingstock of the major leagues, EACH AND EVERY marquee offensive player is in a HORRENDOUS slump. The starters are underachieving, the bullpen is worse...the defense is shoddy, the offense is sparse, and morons LEFT AND RIGHT run onto the field, attacking everyone in sight, and jeopardizing the health and safety of the patrons for this year's Midsummer Classic. All is dire and morose on the South Side...

But when you sit back and just LOOK at the standings....these teams are only 2 and 1/2 games apart in the actual victories-to-losses ratio. Can this POSSIBLY be true??? Can the Charmed Ones REALLY only be 2 and 1/2 games better than the Cursed South Siders???

When it is all said and done, I STILL think the Sox will own a better won-loss record than the Cubs. The Sox hitters ARE too good to be this bad, and the Cubs offense is not as good as they've started out. Koch IS better than he has been, and Joe Borowski is a career minor-leaguer who's having a run of luck. The Sox have to find a bit more consistent starting pitching, and I think the bats will come around.

There are 131 games left, and I think we'll see a better Sox team than we have so far.

Indeed. Personally, I think the hope is mainly because they haven't been mathematically eliminated yet, unlike most years.

Good post Critic. Most of this "love affair" is media driven without the actual numbers. Dusty and Dustin all the way baby :puke. But I don't think anyone really expected the Sox to be this bad and the Cubs, a team that lost 90+ games in 2002 with only 3 real additions during the offseason of Grudzielanik, Karros, and Remlinger, to pay off like they have. Borowski isn't a closer and it's only a matter of time before him or Alfonsixa start blowing games. I am almost positive that, come seasons end, the Sox will have a better record than the sCrUBS.

Was the NL Rookie of the Month award created for the Cubs? I've never heard of a Rookie of the Month award but Chop Suey won it for the month of April :huh:

Was the NL Rookie of the Month award created for the Cubs? I've never heard of a Rookie of the Month award but Chop Suey won it for the month of April  :huh:

They have a player, pitcher and rookie of the month in each league.

The Cubes won´t go to the postseason... they are in a great division, they need to be better than Houston and Stlouis... what they won´t be. And their offense is falling to earth. They have great and young pitchers but immature too.

This is a good post. Let's keep our heads about us. We need some good Yogi-ism's right now. Like," It Ain't Over Till It's Over." There is a lot of season left.

I know there's one that's like "90% of the game is mental and the other half is talent" or something like that.

Didn't he also say something like "Think! How the hell are you supposed to think and hit at the same time?"

Man....Yogi was and still is a character. :lol:

The Cubes won´t go to the postseason... they are in a great division, they need to be better than Houston and Stlouis... what they won´t be. And their offense is falling to earth. They have great and young pitchers but immature too.

If they continue to get beat by Milwaukee that won't matter