Smoltz

Jim Fainter

Kind of random, but another starter to closer thing i could see happening is Jon Lieber becoming a closer. I'm not saying he's the next Smoltz, but i think he's the perfect fit to try something like Smoltz did. Keeps the ball down, nasty slider, not many walks at all, and the first time around the order, teams were usually clueless against him. I had this idea right away when he became injured last year. Of course a lot of it depends on how healthy he is. But i don't know how effective he would be as a starter at this point.

Dotel needs to become a closer at somepoint. And i heard something like 2 days ago saying Wagner would be the first one gone if the Astros fall out of contention. Also, they have Brad Lidge, who is nasty at this point. So they have 3 potential closers.

Wagner is filthy and my guess is he will be closing for the Red Sox if the Astros fall out of conention and even if they are in contention he may still be in Beantown. 

He's definately gone in the offseason though.

Interesting theory. Shea Hillenbrand would be a perfect fit at 3B for the 'Stros

I know the Braves have only one WS win in their long run of success. However, to me they are a model of consistency and winning organization from top to bottom. Every year the prognosticators predict their downfall and every year they are right there. They move players around and most of the time they come through for them. Smoltz is just the latest example, and hell ya the guy does look good out there with the game on the line. I wish our organization functioned as well. They are a model of how to go from the bottom of the heap to perennial contender. Why not us? :angry: