If We Lost Konerko........

BreezyBuerhle

We have a chance to build a dyansty here. Payroll is going to increase there is no need to go young and get cheap. If Konerko leaves he needs to replaced not with a rookie, not with a question mark, but with production. The last thing you do after coming off a championship is go young and clean house. Thats what happened to the marlins after 1997 and looks where they went, they tried to avoid the same after 2003. The red sox lost pedro, cabrera, and lower after their world series and they didn't call up 3 rookies at league minimum, they got Wells, Clement, and renteria. Same with the Cards; Williams, Kline , Renteria, and Womack left, so they brought in Mulder, Eckstein, and Grudzy. The point is if Konerko and Everett and Thomas aren't going to be back their production needs to be replaced, not filled in with rookies and hope you have the ROY out of them, thats not what championship teams to do get back there.

I love Paulie and would love to have him back, but he doesn't get a dime over 12 mil for all im concerned. Hes not Vlad, hes not Delgado, hes not Manny or Arod. Garett Andersen signed a 4/48 mil deal to lock him up for 05-08 seasons, Paulie should get right around the same. Andersen had a bit of down year this year, but he is consitently a +.300 hitter with 30 homers and 120 rbi. Paulie is better in 1 category homers, in which he will hit 5-10 more than Garett. If Paulie leaves my vote is for a trade to acquire Hillenbrand or Overbay, preferably Overbay since hes younger and has a much higher OBP and walks more. Let Andersen take over after 2006 when Dye's contract is up and possibly let him DH this year.

2003-2005 Avg Stats

Garett A - .300 Ba, .332 OBP, 20hrs, 96 rbi

Konerko - .264 Ba, .346 OBP, 33 hrs, 94 rbi

Delgado - .291 Ba, .399 OBP, 36 hrs, 120 rbi

Vlad - .328 Ba, .403 OBP, 30 hrs, 104 rbi

Now each played had a down year in this period as well.

Contracts

Garett A - 4 years / 48 mil, signed for 05-08 seasons

Konerko - ???

Delgado - 4 years / 52 mil, signed for 05-08 seaons

Vlad - 5 years / 70 mil, signed for 04-08 seasons

Now given the contracts of other top players and their stats what do you give Paulie. I personally dont give him anything more than what Anderson got, maybe throw in an extra option year with a buyout but flay 4/48 is what Paulie is worth. That being said i would definatly love to have Delgado if he becomes available.

Edited by joeynach

I grew to love watching Paulie play a decent first base. I hope Dye isn't shifted there.

BTW, did Joe B. go 3-for-3 this season?

I thought at one point he was a perfect 3-for-3. Is that the way he ended up?

After winning the World Series, I kind of trust Kenny to do whatever he sees fit with our team, but it would be nice to keep Konerko and add Frank at DH.

Borchard, if he is not traded, will have a shot to hit his way onto the team in spring training. I believe it will be make or break for him with the Sox. He very well could make the team as DH or 4th OF, especially if they take Randar's p.o.v. and decide not to let Anderson be the 4th OF for developmental reasons.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
If Paulie leaves my vote is for a trade to acquire Hillenbrand or Overbay, preferably Overbay since hes younger and has a much higher OBP and walks more.  Let Andersen take over after 2006 when Dye's contract is up and possibly let him DH this year.

Overbay has insufficient power for 1B. We could compensate for it somewhere else, but we won't - no one available. The Overbays, Graces and Oleruds look good on stat sheets with all of their walks, but they don't cut it unless surrouned by a few guys who can hit homers (as Olerud was in Seattle and Toronto and NY).

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
I grew to love watching Paulie play a decent first base. I hope Dye isn't shifted there.

BTW, did Joe B. go 3-for-3 this season?

I thought at one point he was a perfect 3-for-3. Is that the way he ended up?

After winning the World Series, I kind of trust Kenny to do whatever he sees fit with our team, but it would be nice to keep Konerko and add Frank at DH.

No, he made a couple of outs when he started against Cleveland. He ended up 5/12.