Need a little help

Bigjoe983

Hey, i need a little help with Photoshop, i just got CS2 and i can make simple banners such as this one:

whitesoxlogo.jpg

But i would like to make one like this:

scottpodrules6tc.gif

I would like to know how to get the background like that? it is really awesome.. if someone can help that would be great ...thanks

f*** with filters.

but heres my advice for that one.

Starts a 10 x 10 doc.

2 pix inside of the border of the doc, trade 1 pix border around the entire square (keep it 2 pix away from touching hte outside of the square at all times)

then what you do: define the pattern.

go back to your original doc, fill it and massacre the opacity.

You also have to learn how to f***in cut dude, you cannot just use the wand

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE(Bigjoe983 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:24 AM)
scottpodrules6tc.gif

I would like to know how to get the background like that? it is really awesome.. if someone can help that would be great ...thanks

Aside from the font layers, there were 5 image layers used here. The two front images, the background image, a pattern fill layer and an edge shading layer (to give the background some depth.

I'm not sure what DukeNukeEm means about tracing a 1 pix border, I just flatten and stroke a few times.

HINTS on cutting;

Everyone has there own way, mine is to convert background into a layer, put a layer under it, fill with bright colour, zoom right in and using a soft edge brush erase away the image you dont want. This gives a nice soft edge. This also takes ages to do. So if I'm using the cutout for a sig and the clean edge doesn't need to be exact I usualy use the pen tool to create a path, again zoomed right in, convert path to selection, invert and delete. The final cutout can sometimes be a bit choppy so I don't use this for large wallpaper sized cutouts.

I hope this helps.