Interesting Charlotte Player

Bridgeport_Joe

Tim Hummel.

The guy has really slipped under the radar since his awful start last year. He's currently at .291/.351/.449. His K/BB ratio is just over 1.5, and his BB/PA ration is just under 0.10. That's not good--if the expected power increase comes as he gets older, he's a nice .800-.825 OPS player in the majors.

It's mostly been at 3B, but people are always saying that 2B might be his best position. If we can slide defensively with the D at SS and Hummel at 2B, that's a pretty potent 1-2 punch from the middle infield.

Hummel does not have range for SS, I saw him play alot this spring as Jose did not play the first week, so it was Nunez and Hummel. I am not sure I would like him at 2B either, plus I too am very afraid of DJ at SS, do not even care much for his 2B ability.

Jimenez is a good defensive second baseman, but I he doesn't have the tools to be a good shortstop. I think he can be adequate over there, but if he is there, we have to shore up our defense at other positions. defensive liabilities aren't problems as long as you have good defensive players around the play (main reason why we should dump Valentin).

I'll say this though. come July-August and we still have no shot at this thing, the Sox need to do an experiment and test him at short. we all think Jimenez can't play short, but we'll never know until we actually see it, and if the season is over, and hopefully Valentin is gone, any mistakes made won't be harmful.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Hummel does not have range for SS, I saw him play alot this spring as Jose did not play the first week, so it was Nunez and Hummel. I am not sure I would like him at 2B either, plus I too am very afraid of DJ at SS, do not even care much for his 2B ability.

exactly.. i too have seen hummel play...not all that impressed with the abilities there at 2nd..... although he is doing quite well at 3rd from what i hear.....maybe thats where hes better suited? :huh: but his offensive numbers are no more impressive than miles are... and thats who i really want up here anyhow........espically now.......

I think Jimenez at SS is a possibility. He came up through the minors as a SS, so its not like the position is new to him. He did make 20some errors in 80some games at SS as a rookie, but show me a young player that doesn't struggle defensively in his 1st couple of years. Look at some of the top defensive SS today(Arod, Jeter, Garciaparra, ect) and you will see that most made a ton of errors as youngsters, but got better with experience. I think Crede will fall into the same boat. He has made a lot of errors in his 1st season+, but I think he will eventually develop into a low error guy and one of the top defensive 3rd baseman in the game. You just have to be patient with young players, especially defensively. So I like the idea of moving Jimenez to SS. Lets see what he can do and if he can improve in time. He is a decent athlete and can't be much worse than Valentin.

I really like Hummel and think he might be the best 2nd base prospect that the Sox have. I think Valentin needs to go after this season, so move Jimenez to SS and let Harris, Hummel, and Miles battle for the 2nd base job. Hopefully one of them can develop into a solid 2nd baseman in time. Harris is probably the best defensive possibility and has great speed to offer. If he could learn to hit on a consistant basis and draw a decent amount of walks he would be a good option. I have never been a huge fan of Miles because of his age and lack of patience at the plate, but I have to give it to the kid he continues to hit and put up solid offensive numbers. Hummel is probably the best offensive option of the 3. He has shown an ability to hit for average, has good gap power, and has shown solid plate disipline in the minors. He isn't that good defensively though. I wish we could combine each players strengths and form one player.

Guest hotsoxchick1

miles should have had the second base job out of spring training.. but you can thank kw for going back on his word for that one........hummel is no 2nd baseman...he just cant cut it there.......as for dj being a ss.. scarry thought but hell if it gets miles up here faster then im all for it.. he cant do any worse than whats happening right now anyhow...... may as well give it a try............

Finally, my man is getting some mention. I love Hummell but it looks like he will be assuming the Tony G role if he wants to get to Chicago. I personally think he could hold down second but I certainly wouldn't pair him with D Jimenez. You would have alot of balls get through the middle.

Hey Joe, you can edit a post if you like

BTW Jimenez at SS?  That scares me.  I haven't seen Hummel at 2B, but I have heard the stories about Jimenez at SS.  I don't think he has the range either.

Hummel could play short. I think Jimenez has enough range to play short and a good enough arm. Its not ideal, but Eckstein plays there and he has much fewer defensive tools then Jimenez.

I am not one who is in the camp that Hummel can play SS at a big league level. They are playing a non-prospect in Nunez over him in AAA, that tells me as much as what I witnessed. Not trying to disagree, but I also say it is not fair to compare DJ to Eckstein. Hell of a difference in attitude and hustle there that makes up for a lot. No way DJ can play SS as well as Eck. JMHO

MnSox you got it.

Eckstein doesnt have great range or arm at ALL, have you seen him throw? Its freaking hilarious. But he makes up for it with his great hustle and footwork. Eck only has 3 errors on the season I think. Jimenez could be a good defensive player, but hes just lackadaisical (man i love that word).

Why is it the Sox get all the lackadaisical players. FT, Durham, Maggs, even when our guys were doing well it seemed they were going half-assed. That is what burns me about this team so much.

A guy by the name of Kenny Williams. He gets us lazy (sometimes talented) players with no heart.

And are you a sox fan from minny town?

Guest hotsoxchick1
I am not one who is in the camp that Hummel can play SS at a big league level. They are playing a non-prospect in Nunez over him in AAA, that tells me as much as what I witnessed. Not trying to disagree, but I also say it is not fair to compare DJ to Eckstein. Hell of a difference in attitude and hustle there that makes up for a lot. No way DJ can play SS as well as Eck. JMHO

i would moreso compare miles to eckstein... hes short enough, has enough heart , and gosh darnit he hustles his butt off........lol.... but really though i would make that comparison moreso.......

Finally, my man is getting some mention.  I love Hummell but it looks like he will be assuming the Tony G role if he wants to get to Chicago.  I personally think he could hold down second but I certainly wouldn't pair him with D Jimenez.  You would have alot of balls get through the middle.

yo, did I welcome you over here? If I did, welcome again, if I didn't welcome!

Another refugee from the MLB boards... :cheers

Guest hotsoxchick1
yo, did I welcome you over here?  If I did, welcome again, if I didn't welcome!

Another refugee from the MLB boards...  :cheers

lol i brought him and keaddy over... wanna know whos next?????? :o no trolls i promise... all this is being done behind the screen......lol...... :headbang

Guest hotsoxchick1
Would love to see Miles up with us, even if DH. He could play 2nd, too bad he cannot play other positions. Hate moving DJ to SS, but maybe that is what we should do to see what MIles can do.

ya know mn.. i dont care really where or what miles does i just want him up here.. i think he may be the added spark that this team needs to get motivated to play a bit better...........i know i wouldnt mind having another switch hitter in the over stacked righty lineup..........that alone should be enough to get him here..and the fact hes hittin the heck out of the ball in the minors........

Guest hotsoxchick1
If DJ can play SS, why hasn't he?  This is similar to the 'why hasn't Frank played any 1B until this week' question.

well we know why frank is playin first.. they are gearing him up for the interleague play when we dont get a dh.........as for dj playin ss... he cant do 2nd very well do you really want him at ss?????? not me.........