Wendell lumps Sosa with steroid users

rangercal

[

Wendell lumps Sosa with steroid users

Turk Wendell has a theory about Sammy Sosa's meteoric career.

Although he has no proof that Sosa used steroids, he told The Daily

Herald of suburban Chicago that it's not hard to figure out.

"C'mon. Of course. There are so many guys who did and it's all going to come out,'' said Wendell.

"Here's a guy [sosa] who goes from 30 homers to 60 homers every year, and just as fast he's out of baseball. Can't get a job. How's that work?

"Baseball people know this is going to get worse and nobody wants anything to do with the guys who were on the stuff.

"We would sit there in the clubhouse and laugh. How's a guy gain 30 pounds of solid muscle in three months [over the winter]? It's physically impossible without the juice.''

Agent Adam Katz told ESPN that Sosa had no response to his former teammate.

"We all understand this is a white hot issue," Katz said Friday. "People have the right to express themselves, but we have no comment"

Wendell, who played for the Cubs with Sosa through 1997, is no stranger to the steroids controversy. Two years ago he pointed a finger at Barry Bonds.

"Obviously, he did it," Wendell said at the time of Bonds. "... t's clear just seeing his body."

Bonds, who faces allegations of using performance-enhancing drugs in two books to be released this spring, responded angrily. Two years later Wendell revisited that episode with the Herald.

"Everybody in Chicago knew what was going on, just like everybody in baseball knows about Bonds,'' Wendell told the Herald. "The coaches knew. So did the managers and owners. How could they not know?

"Then, Jose Canseco comes out and says it and everybody rips him, and now everything he said was true. A lot more will come out about guys who nobody's talking about yet, too.''

Wendell, who is now retired and living with his family in Colorado, has observed the changes caused by tougher testing.

"It was funny to see the guys who were on steroids and then got off them,'' Wendell told the paper. "You're watching on TV and you see a guy hit a ball and you go, 'That's gone.'

"But the thing is, it used to be gone, and now it's a routine fly ball that the year before the guy hit 10 rows into the bleachers.

Wendell also expects the effects of steroids use manifested in the future.

"You still see Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto and Johnny Pesky around, but this era of players is going to be dying early,'' Wendell told the Herald. "The stats don't lie. The stuff will kill you.

"Who cares if you have unreal numbers? You need that bad to be 'the man' for a few years? Those guys will pay later.''

Edited by rangercal

This is definitely going to begin a firestorm of controversy. I find it hilarious someone called out Sosa. No one actually NEEDS proof in the 'court' of public opinion. We have eyes for ourvselves. Most wondered about Sosa's mysterious weight gain and skyrocketing homerun totals before steroid allegations surfaced, yet dismissed it. With everything coming to light concerning BALCO, Palmiero, and other less noteable players using steroids, it's only appropriate to look back upon Scammy's career. Call it a witchhunt--Sosa deserves it.

Wendell will likely be driven into the ground by apologists who'll claim he's "beginning a witchhunt," and "implicating players without proof." I'm not sure where you cited that link from Ranger, but hopefully it's ESPN. And hopefully they'll discuss it and be forced to reflect upon certain abnormalities in his career.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Fundamentals ruined baseball @ Mar 17, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
Never had a doubt Sosa used. 

But did Belle use?  How about Thomas?  Are we realllly sure...

Frank has gone on the record several times saying that he's never used steroids in his professional career. He admitting to using for a few weeks in either high school or college, but stopped because they were screwing up his swing. Plus, Frank wouldn't be so freaking fat if he were on roids.

Not sure about Belle, although we know that he corked his bats. Plus he's had some serious anger management problems. I wouldn't put it past him.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Frank has gone on the record several times saying that he's never used steroids in his professional career.  He admitting to using for a few weeks in either high school or college, but stopped because they were screwing up his swing.  Plus, Frank wouldn't be so freaking fat if he were on roids.

Not sure about Belle, although we know that he corked his bats.  Plus he's had some serious anger management problems.  I wouldn't put it past him.

you're an idiot

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
I say this honestly: I've no clue what he's said that makes him an idiot. What makes him an "idiot" for his statements, which seem rational and intelligent enough to me.

I will stick to my opinion of him being an idiot for having an opinion that Frank is Fat. Plus I need some sort of source or link that says Frank ever took steroids even once. If I get that I will change my opinion.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
I will stick to my opinion of him being an idiot for having an opinion that Frank is Fat. Plus I need some sort of source or link that says Frank ever took steroids even once. If I get that I will change my opinion.

I agree that he should present evidence of what he said, re: Frank + steroids.

However, it isn't worthy of calling him an idiot for saying Frank's a tad on the heavy side.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 21, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
I agree that he should present evidence of what he said, re: Frank + steroids.

However, it isn't worthy of calling him an idiot for saying Frank's a tad on the heavy side.

It was basically 90% of the post. Mostly the steroid comment to be honest.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
I just read Canseco's book Juiced. In his book he thinks So-So took the juice, but he says Jason Gaimbi is the most obvious juicer in the game.

Jason Giambi may best be remembered for his comments of "I'm sorry"...he never said what he was sorry for, but I think it was pretty apparent to anybody paying attention. Hell, Jeremy basically came out and said it too, but again only hinted very strongly at it.

Props to Jason though - even as a roider, he put up a good year and did not test positive for steroids in the first year of steroid testing. Whether that will happen in 2006 remains to be seen, but it would be pretty cool if it did.