Now this is just ridiculous...

doubleM23

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Kurt was the greatest rock writer of the 90's

Of course he fullfilled his dream he told everyone in highschool or middle school when he said he'd kill himself when he made it big.

I doubt that was the real reason he did it though.

While it may not be the big reason for his suicide, I don't doubt that in some ways, his fame and the "rockstar life" did partially lead to his untimely death. When you have a certain view of the way the world is supposed to be, its hard to adjust when that's all pulled out from under you.

He was a genius and the world is a little better thanks to him.

Originally posted by doubleM23
Originally posted by Spiff

On the subject of your sig, if you believe the other part, then you are not liberal in any sense of the word. You are just a whiny, jealous, lazy, vengeful and naive person.

Super!

If I post the same thing on WSI will you give me the same response too? Cause I know that is your style and all...

In my youth I was a college dropout. My coming of age was in the days of student protests and the "Days of Rage". It was at that time I got totally turned off by left wing politics, having seen it first hand. When I was in my thirties I decided to give college another try, to make up for my misspent youth. I got one, then two, then three degrees and a teaching certificate. However I aborted my teaching career because of garbage attitudes like the ones I see on this board. I was going to teach history, but discovered that today's youth know's diddly squat about any kind of history let alone their own. Teacher's unions like that just fine, so the whole situation was and is just not for me. If you think Rockefeller is a "right wing Republican" then your knowledge is superficial at best. Both political parties are multifacted and defy easy ready made descriptions. Nobody ever told you "politics makes strange bedfellows?" Do you really think that the original John D Rockefeller has much in common with ex Governor Nelson Rockefeller or ex Governor Winthrop Rockefeller or the current WV senator Jay Rockefeller who is as liberal as liberal can be? God what kind of garbage are young people ingesting. No critical thought whatsoever, just knee jerk visceral reaction. I have 3 twenty something kids so I'm not against young people. The fact is you are the worst educated group of youth in the 20th/21st century. It's not your fault, the educational establishment is to blame. If you want to be liberal fine. I read and refer to many liberals like EJ Dionne, Thomas L Friedman, David Broder among others. None of them demonizes the opposition and they all have a much deeper understanding of history and politics than to say "kill the Rockefellers" and think they are saying something bright and well informed.

Jeez... Generally, that name in italics with that little bar in front of means I'm (stay with me here, people)... "quoting" someone... In that I didn't write it... Do we all still follow here, or should I back up for a second? When you "quote" someone, you write something they either have said or wrote (and here's the kicker.. no daydreaming yet... ) before I "quoted" it elsewhere...

Yikes.

Originally posted by SI1020

None of them demonizes the opposition and they all have a much deeper understanding of history and politics than to say "kill the Rockefellers" and think they are saying  something bright and well informed.

That is sorta what I was trying to get at. Not that I have half the education you do regarding liberal thoughts and practices, but I am fairly confident it doesn't involve lining people up naked and making them beg for forgiveness, simply for being born into a fortunate situation.

Jeez... Generally, that name in italics with that little bar in front of means I'm (stay with me here, people)... "quoting" someone...  In that I didn't write it...  Do we all still follow here, or should I back up for a second? When you "quote" someone, you write something they either have said or wrote (and here's the kicker.. no daydreaming yet... ) before I "quoted" it elsewhere...

Yikes.

His point was, know what you are quoting and why, otherwise the words are empty and you look like a fool. Obviously you are doing it for the shock value.

In my youth I was a college dropout. My coming of age was in the days of student protests and the "Days of Rage". It was at that time I got totally turned off by left wing politics, having seen it first hand. When I was in my thirties I decided to give college another try, to make up for my misspent youth. I got one, then two, then three degrees and a teaching certificate. However I aborted my teaching career because of garbage attitudes like the ones I see on this board. I was going to teach history, but discovered that today's youth know's diddly squat about any kind of history let alone their own. Teacher's unions like that just fine, so the whole situation was and is just not for me. If you think Rockefeller is a "right wing Republican" then your knowledge is superficial at best. Both political parties are multifacted and defy  easy ready made descriptions. Nobody ever told you "politics makes strange bedfellows?" Do you really think that the original John D Rockefeller has much in common with ex Governor Nelson Rockefeller or ex  Governor Winthrop Rockefeller or the current WV senator Jay Rockefeller who is as liberal as liberal can be? God what kind of garbage are young people ingesting. No critical thought whatsoever, just knee jerk visceral reaction. I have 3 twenty something kids so I'm not against young people. The fact is you are the worst educated group of youth in the 20th/21st century. It's not your fault, the educational establishment is to blame. If you want to be liberal fine. I read and refer to many liberals like EJ Dionne, Thomas L Friedman, David Broder among others. None of them demonizes the opposition and they all have a much deeper understanding of history and politics than to say "kill the Rockefellers" and think they are saying  something bright and well informed. 

I'll say one thing about the educational system in this country and that is it stinks. Of course its better then almost any other countries out their, but that doesn't mean we should be happy with it, and in general I don't think many are other then the teachers unions.

One of the biggest flaws with the educational system is that it is almost impossible for a teacher to get fired after they have worked for about 5 years(At least thats how it is where I am). The only way to get fired is by sexually assaulting a student or something.

Anyway, if good teachers could get paid more and the poor ones could get fired, then the teaching system would be a whole lot better because smarter people would go into it. I'm not implying all teachers are stupid, but I know most of mine were.

As far as History goes SI, I've always noticed my best teachers are history teachers or econ teachers. I also think that highschools should teach classes that have to deal with investing for the future, how to buy houses and just teach you some common sense things like accounting(Balancing Checkbooks, not the difficult stuff that I'm studying to become a CPA). I mean we all know college isn't for everyone, so things like this that people need to know for everyday life should be taught.

Part of me is also for decreasing the age that children can drop out, cause lets be honest, if they don't want to be their, then they hinder learning. Of course another part of me says everyone should get a highschool education.

In my youth I was a college dropout. My coming of age was in the days of student protests and the "Days of Rage". It was at that time I got totally turned off by left wing politics, having seen it first hand. When I was in my thirties I decided to give college another try, to make up for my misspent youth. I got one, then two, then three degrees and a teaching certificate. However I aborted my teaching career because of garbage attitudes like the ones I see on this board. I was going to teach history, but discovered that today's youth know's diddly squat about any kind of history let alone their own. Teacher's unions like that just fine, so the whole situation was and is just not for me. If you think Rockefeller is a "right wing Republican" then your knowledge is superficial at best. Both political parties are multifacted and defy  easy ready made descriptions. Nobody ever told you "politics makes strange bedfellows?" Do you really think that the original John D Rockefeller has much in common with ex Governor Nelson Rockefeller or ex  Governor Winthrop Rockefeller or the current WV senator Jay Rockefeller who is as liberal as liberal can be? God what kind of garbage are young people ingesting. No critical thought whatsoever, just knee jerk visceral reaction. I have 3 twenty something kids so I'm not against young people. The fact is you are the worst educated group of youth in the 20th/21st century. It's not your fault, the educational establishment is to blame. If you want to be liberal fine. I read and refer to many liberals like EJ Dionne, Thomas L Friedman, David Broder among others. None of them demonizes the opposition and they all have a much deeper understanding of history and politics than to say "kill the Rockefellers" and think they are saying  something bright and well informed. 

Great post SI. But you won't get anywhere with doubleM. He's in college. He knows everything. Once he graduates and sees how the real world works he'll realize the error of his ways ;). You know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, if good teachers could get paid more and the poor ones could get fired, then the teaching system would be a whole lot better because smarter people would go into it.  I'm not implying all teachers are stupid, but I know most of mine were.

As a secondary mathematics education major, I thought I'd pipe in here. A major source for the paucity of truly competent teachers is that many universities allow students studying to be teachers to follow the easy route to graduation by providing them with very low expectations. The first thing we can do to improve the educational system here in this country is to improve the manner of which teachers are educated. I attend Illinois State University, which ranks #2 on the list of Teacher Education programs in the entire nation, and I even see flaws here. I have taken several teaching methods courses, and they are too basic! THIS is a problem!

OK, I'm gonna keep this brief.

I will never change. I've been exposed to too much violence, crime, and poverty to ever consider changing now.

I've nearly been killed before for what I believe in; I'm not about to start reconsidering now.

Actually, everytime someone tries to show me the error of my ways, they just cement them further in.

I'm in this fight for life.

I will never change.  I've been exposed to too much violence, crime, and poverty to ever consider changing now.

I've nearly been killed before for what I believe in; I'm not about to start reconsidering now.

Actually, everytime someone tries to show me the error of my ways, they just cement them further in.

hahahahaha

Originally posted by Spiff

I will never change.  I've been exposed to too much violence, crime, and poverty to ever consider changing now.

hahahahaha

Spiff, you kill me :D

baaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha oh man i was almost rolling after reading this one

Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

Anyway, if good teachers could get paid more and the poor ones could get fired, then the teaching system would be a whole lot better because smarter people would go into it.  I'm not implying all teachers are stupid, but I know most of mine were.

I attend Illinois State University, which ranks #2 on the list of Teacher Education programs in the entire nation, and I even see flaws here.

That's why ISU's program is Number 2 :D

Just proves to me you have no grip or concept of real life. Anybody knows that life is always changing and evolving. To think that politics, real life, emotions, etc. don't change and that you cannot change a specific political view, real life scenario, emotion, etc. to better suit a group of people when confronted with certain facts proves, to me at least, that you are a spoiled brat and, more than likely, are waiting for something to be handed to you. I will not expound on this post any further to avoid being labeled a blood-thristy, neanderthal, Hitler by doubleM simply because he has no grasp on real life. I'm out.....

Originally posted by CubKilla

Just proves to me you have no grip or concept of real life. Anybody knows that life is always changing and evolving. To think that politics, real life, emotions, etc. don't change and that you cannot change a specific political view, real life scenario, emotion, etc. to better suit a group of people when confronted with certain facts proves, to me at least, that you are a spoiled brat and, more than likely, are waiting for something to be handed to you. I will not expound on this post any further to avoid being labeled a blood-thristy, neanderthal, Hitler by doubleM simply because he has no grasp on real life. I'm out.....

Hell no, I don't expect anything to be handed to me... s***, I eat three meals a day and I have a roof over my head... What more do I need? I'm all about hand outs to those who've had the cards stacked against them since Day 1.

Hell no, I don't expect anything to be handed to me...  s***, I eat three meals a day and I have a roof over my head... What more do I need?  I'm all about hand outs to those who've had the cards stacked against them since Day 1.

Then go ahead and give whoever you want whatever you want. Quit making a show out of it and keep your hands out of my pockets.