WhiteSox History

JoshPR

WHITESOX HISTORY 1955

Marty Marion's initial season as manager produced a 91-63 record that brought the WhiteSox close (Five Games) to a first place finish than any time in the previous 35 years but resulted in the fourth succesive third place finish. Minnie Minoso, key to the pennant chances, slumped during the first half of the season (hitting .254 with only 2 homers at the all star break) But surged in the second half to finish at .288 with 10 homers and 70 RBI's.

George Kell's .312 average was third best in the league and Nelson Fox's .311 was fourth highest, contributing to a team batting average of .268 that led the league. Lefthander Billy Pierce (15-10) topped the league with his 1.97 ERA while Dick Donovan was 15-9, Virgil Trucks 13-8 and another southpaw Jack Harshman, 11-7. Kell's 91 RBI's led the team. Walt Dropo had a team high 19 homers and 79 RBI's

No Problem. Thanks. I'll post 1956 in a couple of Minutes cause i MAY NOT BE ABLE TO LOG IN untill late tommorow. I just had to say something so it wouldn't go to the Second page, Iknow many people like to read them

Glad I found this one. This was a near miss year for the Sox that everyone forgets. Chuck Comiskey, grandson of the original owner had teamed with GM Frank "trader" Lane to build the Sox Phoenix like from the ashes in the early 50's. Chuck Comiskey thought this was the team to win the pennant. They almost did. IIRC Dick Donovan had an emergency appendectomy in August and missed several starts at a crucial time. Billy Pierce had his best year ever despite posting only a 15-10 record. He lead the Major in ERA with a 1.97 which translates to an adusted ERA+ of 201 for stats freaks. He lost 4 1-0 games that year and had six shutouts. He started for the AL in the All Star game and once again like in 1953 he pitched 3 scoreless innings, leaving with a 5-0 lead. The NL came back to win, the guy just did have good luck when he pitched. Pierce and Donovan would be the most formidable 1-2 punch in the Majors from 55-58 with the exception of Spahn and Burdette of the Braves. Comiskey was so disappointed in this team that Lane was either fired or resigned in late Sept that year.