White Sox History

JoshPR

WhiteSox History 1962

With the Allyn brothers, John and Arthur, now in full ownership of the club, the team on the field continued to skid. the record of 85-77 produced a fifth place finish, the lowest for the Whitesox since 1950 and the lowest of Al Lopez career in the Major Leagu's. Floyd Robinson continued to be a star on the rise in his second season, leading the club in batting (.312) and RBI's (109), setting a team record for doubles (45) and adding homeruns. Al Smith (.292) led the team with 16 homers (lowest total to lead the team since Minnie Minoso's 15 in 1953) and had 82 RBI's. Joe Cunningham hit .295 with 10 homers and 70 RBI's.

Luis Aparicio led the league in stolen bases for the seventh season in a row with 31 but hit only .241 and the Sox stole only 74 bases as a team. In January1963, Aparicio was traded to Baltimore for four players including reliever Hoyt Wilhelm. Roy Herbert (10-9) led the team in voctories by winning his last six starts.

After the 62 season everyone was predicting the demise of the White Sox. Billy Pierce was traded after the 61 season and then had one more big year going 16-6 with the pennant winning Giants. He got the opportunity to shine in the post season that Al Lopez had denied him in 1959. The Dodgers and Giants had tied in the regular season. In those days that meant a 2 out of 3 playoff in the NL. Pierce shut out the Dodgers in game one and got the save in game 3. He went 1-1 in the WS, pitching well but losing in game 3 and then throwing a 3 hitter in game 6. The Yanks won in game 7. It was to be their last WS win until 1977. Floyd Robinson had a real big year for the Sox. I loved watching "Robby" hit, he hit the ball so damn hard! Ray Herbert actually won 20 games and was the winning pitcher for the AL in the All star game. The AL wouldn't win again until 1971. The team the Sox would field in 1963 would be far different than the one in 1959. The Sox were about to begin an exciting but unfullfilling 3 year run.

3 year run?! Would you like to rethink that?  ;)

The Sox came in second three years in a row (63-65) I think they posted the most wins ever for them in a three year span here. I can't speak for others, but I really liked the Sox teams in those years, particularly the 64 team. I said, it was "unfullfilling". Hey, I'm a White Sox fan, not a Yankee fan. I've got to hang on to the memories they did give me, which is exactly one pennant in my lifetime. The go go era ( 1951- 1967) will always be near and dear to me, especially since the Sox haven't come close to duplicating it since.

I started following the team around 1973 so I'm celebrating 30 years of unfullfilled expectations (World Series). It could be argued that those mid 60's teams were just part of 80+ years of unfullfilled expectations. ;)

You are correct and I've enjoyed the recaps. I just wanted to have a little fun with the 3 year thing.