Crede's Back

RME JICO

I keep reading reports about Crede's back, and how he will probably need offseason surgery. He has missed 3 games and nothing has been said about how long he will be out. He just received a cortisone shot, so I assume they are checking to see if he gets some relief from the shot, but how effective can he be if his back is hurting that bad?

With Charlotte's season over, could we be seeing Josh Fields at 3B in the near future?

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
I keep reading reports about Crede's back, and how he will probably need offseason surgery. He has missed 3 games and nothing has been said about how long he will be out. He just received a cortisone shot, so I assume they are checking to see if he gets some relief from the shot, but how effective can he be if his back is hurting that bad?

With Charlotte's season over, could we be seeing Josh Fields at 3B in the near future?

To answer your second question, yes, if Crede can't come back real soon, expect Fields to be in the lineup at 3B. The Sox can't survive with a guy like Mack, Cintron or Ozuna defensively at 3B for an extended period.

As far as Crede's injury, everything I have read seems to indicate that this is same thing Crede has dealt with over the past few seasons and Guillen is listing this as more of a precautionary thing so that Crede is ready for the stretch run. Crede, however, had an interesting quote about the injury and the possibility of surgery yesterday:

"I never want to have surgery on anything, especially in the back area," Crede said. "But they sound pretty confident that it's a small surgery, that it won't have any long term effects. They say it will make you feel better, but there's also other stuff that could go wrong with it, too. ... It's something I obviously want to avoid but if it comes to it, it comes to it."

My guess is he will be back within the next 2-3 games and try to play out the season. This definitely seems like something he's going to need to get taken care of though otherwise he is a big risk for us if we want to sign him to a long term deal.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
To answer your second question, yes, if Crede can't come back real soon, expect Fields to be in the lineup at 3B. The Sox can't survive with a guy like Mack, Cintron or Ozuna defensively at 3B for an extended period.

As far as Crede's injury, everything I have read seems to indicate that this is same thing Crede has dealt with over the past few seasons and Guillen is listing this as more of a precautionary thing so that Crede is ready for the stretch run. Crede, however, had an interesting quote about the injury and the possibility of surgery yesterday:

"I never want to have surgery on anything, especially in the back area," Crede said. "But they sound pretty confident that it's a small surgery, that it won't have any long term effects. They say it will make you feel better, but there's also other stuff that could go wrong with it, too. ... It's something I obviously want to avoid but if it comes to it, it comes to it."

My guess is he will be back within the next 2-3 games and try to play out the season. This definitely seems like something he's going to need to get taken care of though otherwise he is a big risk for us if we want to sign him to a long term deal.

I actually think Mack is probably a better defensive 3rd baseman than Fields and right now is much more ready to succeed at the major league level offensively. But either way I'd expect to see Josh. Joe is in the lineup today though so hopefully his back will be alright.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
I actually think Mack is probably a better defensive 3rd baseman than Fields and right now is much more ready to succeed at the major league level offensively. But either way I'd expect to see Josh. Joe is in the lineup today though so hopefully his back will be alright.

The odd thing is that Mack has only started 2 games at 3B all year.

If Joe is in the lineup, that would hopefully mean the shot worked and he could get it periodically to reduce the pain. Thats good news.