Anderson and King

Jim Fainter

I hope some of these guys are actually baseball players.... The type of guys that can hit, throw, run the bases with intelligence, bunt, hit and run, hit behind the runner, throw to the right base, hustle. Nah.... I must be living in a dream world.

I hope some of these guys are actually baseball players.... The type of guys that can hit, throw, run the bases with intelligence, bunt, hit and run, hit behind the runner, throw to the right base, hustle. Nah.... I must be living in a dream world.

Let's try and ask for somethign reasonable, k?

I read yesterday in Baseball America that it was unlikely that the Sox would sign either Veal (12th rounder) or Greg Moviel (15th rounder) because of commitments to college (Arizona and Vanderbilt).

Will somebody let this Moviel kid know that Vandy can't play baseball? They finish at or near the bottom of the SEC every year.

Will somebody let this Moviel kid know that Vandy can't play baseball?  They finish at or near the bottom of the SEC every year.

We have a better shot at Moviel, but the Sox have an offer of 500 K on the table from what I've heard in regards to Veal. Not sure about Moviel. His brother is signed and is actually pretty decent.

I think the Sox will land one of them, Brooks and Sweeney. If Sweeney doesn't sign, then the Sox are going to sign them all.

Will somebody let this Moviel kid know that Vandy can't play baseball?  They finish at or near the bottom of the SEC every year.

While Vandy hasn't been very good in the past, they do have a stud SP named Jeremy Sowers who was a first round pick by the Reds in 2002 and dominated the SEC this past season. I think Vandy had a decent season this year and could improve next season with this stud around. Plus, it's a great school for academics and maybe the kid is interested in getting an education. Sox should think about Sowers when he is available to be drafted again, this kid is flat out nasty.

The guy I want the Sox to draft next year is Stanford's catcher Ryan Garko.

That guy is an absolute stud. Way better then anyone in this years draft, imo.

Stanford played a hell of a game yesterday. It sucked Fullerton lost, but damn Stanford has some big bats. Quinlan is going to be real good too. I think Quinlan and Anderson will both turn out to be very good players.

Jason, check out this kid Sowers and his stats in the SEC this past year as a soph. He's from around my area, that's why I take exception to him.

From Vanderbilt's site:

One of the top pitchers in the Southeastern Conference as a sophomore, Sowers ended the regular season leading the league in strikeouts while tying for first in earned run average and innings pitched. He ended the season by setting the Commodore single-season school record for innings pitched (115.0) while ranking second with 123 strikeouts and ninth with a 2.50 ERA.

Sowers, native of Louisville, Ky., won his last seven regular-season decisions and recorded a 7-0 mark and 2.11 ERA over his last nine regular-season starts with 57 strikeouts and 12 walks in 55 and a third innings pitched. He struck out 10 or more batters five times during the year and fanned 12 against nationally ranked foes Kansas (3/2) and Auburn (4/25). He was named SEC Pitcher of the Week (Week 10) on April 8 after he struck out 11 and allowed only five hits, an earned run and a walk in seven innings against nationally ranked Florida.

Damn, those are some impressive numbers. I'm assuming he throws pretty hard? Vandy would have had a pretty decent staff if Prior stuck with them.

I'm still shocked that Wes Littleton of Fullerton slid into the 4th round. That guy will be a good major league pitcher.

I think with Veal he wants an education and so does Moviel. They are going to stick to their guns and once they get enough of a bonus, then they will say hey, this is enough to get me to skip college and I can go back once I fail.

I mean give each of them 600K and they will be like hey, thats a damn good amount of money to save. BOth sound like really smart kids to, so I doubt they piss it away.

Damn, those are some impressive numbers.  I'm assuming he throws pretty hard?  Vandy would have had a pretty decent staff if Prior stuck with them. 

I'm still shocked that Wes Littleton of Fullerton slid into the 4th round.  That guy will be a good major league pitcher. 

I think with Veal he wants an education and so does Moviel.  They are going to stick to their guns and once they get enough of a bonus, then they will say hey, this is enough to get me to skip college and I can go back once I fail.

I mean give each of them 600K and they will be like hey, thats a damn good amount of money to save.  BOth sound like really smart kids to, so I doubt they piss it away.

Yea, I believe they'll eventually sign, just gotta get the figures where they want them.

While Vandy hasn't been very good in the past, they do have a stud SP named Jeremy Sowers who was a first round pick by the Reds in 2002 and dominated the SEC this past season.  I think Vandy had a decent season this year and could improve next season with this stud around.  Plus, it's a great school for academics and maybe the kid is interested in getting an education.  Sox should think about Sowers when he is available to be drafted again, this kid is flat out nasty.

I was half joking there. Vandy did finish 6th (tied with two other teams) this year. Sowers is a solid pitcher and was arguably the best in the SEC this year (Miss. St. 1st rounder Paul Maholm may argue that point).

Sowers didn't throw as hard as I thought he would, but he has a nasty breaking ball and excellent control. He lost the game I saw, but he was impressive nonetheless.

Vandy also had a guy a few years ago by the name of Mark Prior. Things just didn't work out for him there so he bolted for USC.

That guy is an absolute stud.  Way better then anyone in this years draft, imo. 

Stanford played a hell of a game yesterday.  It sucked Fullerton lost, but damn Stanford has some big bats.  Quinlan is going to be real good too.  I think Quinlan and Anderson will both turn out to be very good players.

How about Carlos Quentin (?) playing RF for Stanford while he can barely throw. The guy needs Tommy John surgery and is playing through it. On top of that, he was still a first round pick even though they new ahead of time he was headed for surgery. Plus, he can hit a little too. ;-)

Damn, those are some impressive numbers.  I'm assuming he throws pretty hard?  Vandy would have had a pretty decent staff if Prior stuck with them. 

I'm still shocked that Wes Littleton of Fullerton slid into the 4th round.  That guy will be a good major league pitcher. 

I think with Veal he wants an education and so does Moviel.  They are going to stick to their guns and once they get enough of a bonus, then they will say hey, this is enough to get me to skip college and I can go back once I fail.

I mean give each of them 600K and they will be like hey, thats a damn good amount of money to save.  BOth sound like really smart kids to, so I doubt they piss it away.

Standard bonus contracts include provisions (or funds) to pay for college if the player doesn't make it. For instance, if they sign him for $600k they would likely add another $50k into a fund to pay for school. Sometimes the amount of that fund can slow or even halt negotiations. In the case of wanting to go to Vandy, you are likely looking at an additional $75k at least. Who knows how much Vandy will cost 5 or 6 years from now? Isn't it close to $20k a year now?

Standard bonus contracts include provisions (or funds) to pay for college if the player doesn't make it. For instance, if they sign him for $600k they would likely add another $50k into a fund to pay for school. Sometimes the amount of that fund can slow or even halt negotiations. In the case of wanting to go to Vandy, you are likely looking at an additional $75k at least. Who knows how much Vandy will cost 5 or 6 years from now? Isn't it close to $20k a year now?

Try over 30K

Try over 30K

OUCH

Try over 30K

OUCH

Wonder how much of that $30k Moviel will have to cover at Vandy? Not likely he is on full scholarship.

Try over 30K

OUCH

Wonder how much of that $30k Moviel will have to cover at Vandy? Not likely he is on full scholarship.

If he is a good student, could get some money from that.

Stanford played a hell of a game yesterday.  It sucked Fullerton lost, but damn Stanford has some big bats.  Quinlan is going to be real good too.  I think Quinlan and Anderson will both turn out to be very good players.

How about Carlos Quentin (?) playing RF for Stanford while he can barely throw. The guy needs Tommy John surgery and is playing through it. On top of that, he was still a first round pick even though they new ahead of time he was headed for surgery. Plus, he can hit a little too. ;-)

Whoops for some reason I had Rob Quinlan in my mind instead of Carlos Quentin.

Thats the guy I meant to talk about, lol.

Did you notice that he didn't cut a ball off last night in the gap because he couldn't throw? He left it to the CF who couldn't get there and the hitter ended up on third instead of second.

They were showing him in warmups and he was throwing underhanded.

Did you notice that he didn't cut a ball off last night in the gap because he couldn't throw? He left it to the CF who couldn't get there and the hitter ended up on third instead of second.

They were showing him in warmups and he was throwing underhanded.

Ya, it turned out becoming a triple because of it. What a gamer. Two games ago he caught a ball in the outfield and flipped it to the centerfielder to throw it in.

From what DJ said in the WGn telecast yesterday, Brian Anderson has all the tools that YASNY asked for!

I hope that's the case, but it sounds a lot like what I heard about Joe Borchard when he was drafted. Now the guy is around 25 years old and still can't hit well enough to stay in the bigs.