2006 Average Salaries

agame

I thought this article was interesting. I'm sure it was hard for Sox management to be in the top 5 payrolls and come up short of the playoffs. I for one agree with the balanced approach of having young and old. Hopefully there won't be a pitching fire sale (I doubt it), but we need get younger and cheaper guys to do something. I wonder where we'll be in 2007.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...583/1009/SPORTS

QUOTE(agame @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
I thought this article was interesting. I'm sure it was hard for Sox management to be in the top 5 payrolls and come up short of the playoffs. I for one agree with the balanced approach of having young and old. Hopefully there won't be a pitching fire sale (I doubt it), but we need get younger and cheaper guys to do something. I wonder where we'll be in 2007.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...583/1009/SPORTS

I'm curious if that is just the average salary for the players on the team, or if it takes into account whether or not another team is paying part of the salary?

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
I'm curious if that is just the average salary for the players on the team, or if it takes into account whether or not another team is paying part of the salary?

I'm curious how they could possibly have Houston and its $92 million total team salary and have it above the Red Sox and their $120 million total team salary. Even taking into account the time Clemens missed doesn't make up that big of a difference.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
I'm curious how they could possibly have Houston and its $92 million total team salary and have it above the Red Sox and their $120 million total team salary. Even taking into account the time Clemens missed doesn't make up that big of a difference.

It has to do with the amount of players the average salary is counted against.

The Red Sox must of had more players count against their payroll, lowering the average salary per player. Still kind of an odd way to list the data without the other information.

Also, I know Houston's payroll number of $92mil is as of opening day. If you add Clemens salary, then divide by the number of players on their roster for the entire year, their average salary would be higher than the Sawks (as long as they had more players on the roster).