2007 Music

BoKnows

We are only 2 months in to the new year and there are already several really good albums that have been put out.

if you are in to the indie / modern rock thing, give the following albums a chance.

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - The Good, The Bad & The Queen

- This is Damon Albarn's (blur & gorillaz) new band with Paul Simion from the clash. it is very dark, but has amazing melodies.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder

- the 2nd album from the brooklyn band who caught a lot of people by surprise a couple years ago with their self titled / self distributed release. This album is not for everyone, because it is very challenging to the ears. Recorded with a lot of distortion, it will take a few listens to get used to it, but once you do, you will find that these guys are a really good band.

Albert Hammond Jr. - Yours To Keep

- This is the solo album from the guitar player from the strokes and you can hear where they get their style from. Not as rockin' as the strokes, but definitely as sound musically.

The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

- so far, this is the album of the year in my opinion. Originally, I didn't really care for this band then I got to see them at Lollapalooza a couple of years ago and they were great. Listened to their first album again and I was hooked, I was a fan. Some may complain a bout the lead singers voice, but once you get used to it or just listen to the music, they will be one of your favorites. The new album is very big, intense and dark.

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

- Zach Braff should get royalties from this band for taking them from indie rock heroes to selling out the congress theatre. The 3rd album from the band shows how they have grown from album to album. Like other shins albums, this one is mellow then hits you with some great pop music.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

- OK, I admit it, this album may not be for everyone, but it is still a good album. This Athens, GA band has been putting out albums for 10 years now and it seems with every album, they keep getting bigger and bigger. For example, when I was in school at UIUC, I went to see this band at the student union and there was about 25 people in the crowd. Now you go see them, and they sell out places like the abbey pub and metro. Not sure how they did, but they did it. Anyway, the new album is very very poppy and dancy. not it a disco type of way, but there is a heavy use of synthesizers on the album.

anyway, these are just a few albums that have been released this year that I think are worth mentioning. If this continues, this could be a great year for music. Especially since we are still expecting albums from the Kings of Leon, Sea and Cake, Doves, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Wilco, The Thrills, Polyphonic Spree, Radiohead and Stereophonics just to name a few.

Edited by BoKnows