Prince Fielder Dropped?

So, in my league someone just dropped Prince Fielder who I consider to be a very good 1B. Does anyone know why someone would do that? I have Konerko and Giambi on my team, but am still thinking of picking him up as trade bait. Am I crazy? I have the #1 waiver priority. So, I could get him easily.

Some people are weird. Who'd he pick up? Who else does this guy have at 1b?

I was in a similar situation last year -- I ended up with Pujols, Berkman, and Derrek Lee. When Lee returned (briefly) I tried trading one of the three. I was willing to gamble on Lee's health. Lucky for me, noone would give me anything close to value. I've never seen anyone do very well in trading an 'extra' player. Maybe people just know you don't want to burn the roster spot and they have you over the barrel.

Related question -- someone dropped Hideki Matsui. I'm probably too far down the waiver wire to get him, but just in case, pick one to drop: Stephen Drew (backup to Tejada), Ryan Shealy (backup to Adrian Gonzalez), Scott Olsen, Chuck James, Jeremy Sowers, Dan Wheeler, Javier Vazquez. I'm leaning towards dropping Shealy.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)

I was in a similar situation last year -- I ended up with Pujols, Berkman, and Derrek Lee. When Lee returned (briefly) I tried trading one of the three. I was willing to gamble on Lee's health. Lucky for me, noone would give me anything close to value. I've never seen anyone do very well in trading an 'extra' player. Maybe people just know you don't want to burn the roster spot and they have you over the barrel.

Related question -- someone dropped Hideki Matsui. I'm probably too far down the waiver wire to get him, but just in case, pick one to drop: Stephen Drew (backup to Tejada), Ryan Shealy (backup to Adrian Gonzalez), Scott Olsen, Chuck James, Jeremy Sowers, Dan Wheeler, Javier Vazquez. I'm leaning towards dropping Shealy.

I would go with Shealy or with Wheeler depending on your relief situation.

They picked up Mike Jacobs (1B Fla) for him (who is off to a decent start, but I would not think that you would drop Fielder unless you had heard something). Conor Jackson is the other 1B on his team.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
So, in my league someone just dropped Prince Fielder who I consider to be a very good 1B. Does anyone know why someone would do that? I have Konerko and Giambi on my team, but am still thinking of picking him up as trade bait. Am I crazy? I have the #1 waiver priority. So, I could get him easily.

Fielder is a good player, theres many players off to bad starts power wise so far this season. Fielder is healthy and I would pick him up if I were you, just drop someone on your team you dont need, and hell try trading him.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)

Shealy is a good bet to drop, could also argue Sowers or Wheeler though. Astros are too committed to Lidge and Wheeler wont take his spot I think which is why many people took him. Sowers is alright, wild pitcher, but if your pitchings weak keep him. Shealy should be gone hes not on an offensive powerhouse team and is not gonna light up the scoreboard, hes useless really.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
I would go with Shealy or with Wheeler depending on your relief situation.

They picked up Mike Jacobs (1B Fla) for him (who is off to a decent start, but I would not think that you would drop Fielder unless you had heard something). Conor Jackson is the other 1B on his team.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
Shealy is a good bet to drop, could also argue Sowers or Wheeler though. Astros are too committed to Lidge and Wheeler wont take his spot I think which is why many people took him. Sowers is alright, wild pitcher, but if your pitchings weak keep him. Shealy should be gone hes not on an offensive powerhouse team and is not gonna light up the scoreboard, hes useless really.

Jacobs for Fielder? Might want to start proposing some trades to this guy. :D

The thing about Shealy is that I need power badly. But Gonzalez, even if he's not a 40-hr guy, is almost a lock for 20+. What's Shealy likely to do this year, in Kauffman? Can't be much more. I'm not convinced on Wheeler. I don't think Lidge gets more than one shot this year, if Wheeler can hold it down after the switch. I'm really a believer on Sowers. You have to sacrifice strikeouts, but I think he'll win enough games with rate stats good enough to carry him.

Thanks for the input. Any other opinions welcome.

Edit: Crap, didn't get him. Figures.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Jacobs for Fielder? Might want to start proposing some trades to this guy. :D

The thing about Shealy is that I need power badly. But Gonzalez, even if he's not a 40-hr guy, is almost a lock for 20+. What's Shealy likely to do this year, in Kauffman? Can't be much more. I'm not convinced on Wheeler. I don't think Lidge gets more than one shot this year, if Wheeler can hold it down after the switch. I'm really a believer on Sowers. You have to sacrifice strikeouts, but I think he'll win enough games with rate stats good enough to carry him.

Thanks for the input. Any other opinions welcome.

Edit: Crap, didn't get him. Figures.

By all means if you like Shealy go for it. Its too early to tell if any player does good or not, so after a rough start he could pick things up. I have Sowers in a league or two, just cause I dont have many optinos pitching wise and he seems like the 2nd best pitcher on their team, dont necessarily like him but he should bag lots of wins on indians.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
By all means if you like Shealy go for it. Its too early to tell if any player does good or not, so after a rough start he could pick things up. I have Sowers in a league or two, just cause I dont have many optinos pitching wise and he seems like the 2nd best pitcher on their team, dont necessarily like him but he should bag lots of wins on indians.

Yeah, I tried to drop Shealy for Matsui, but I was only 6 on the waiver wire. No dice. I may drop Shealy soon enough, anyway. I'm not really concerned about the slow start, but I doubt I'll play him over Gonzalez soon, Gonzalez plays almost every day, and it doesn't seem like the Royals are going to play Shealy consistently (Gload's seeing good time at 1b). I just gotta find someone with power potential at c or of. The wire is pretty well picked over.

The guy who dropped Matsui just dropped Baldelli. It's like Christmas if you have high waiver priority.

I dropped Shealy, picked up Quentin and dl'ed him, and added Al Reyes. But since Wheeler just got the closer job, I'm considering dropping Reyes for Baldelli. I could also go with Sowers. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
I got Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir and Felix Hernandez off of drops.

They all picked up Pettitte, Rich Hill and, I believe, K-Rod.

:o WOW.......

I dont know how some people can be so stupid to drop Petitte, Rich Hill, and Krod, and others in this thread its beyond me.

Some people enjoy making a joke of it, I think. This guy who's dropped Matsui, Baldelli, Delgado...a couple others, I just can't remember...has done well in baseball leagues before. And there's just no way a strategy like this can work. For the David Aardsmas of the league. (And I'm an Aa fan, I'll have you know.)

The good news is, if a couple more people get knocked off the waiver priority list and Carlos Lee or Ryan Howard follows with enough of a slump to get him off the can't-cut list, they're MINE.

• 1 month later...