Thursday's game is a MUST

clujer420

Today's early start game is the most important game of the season so far for the Sox. If we can come out and take the series, it will take a lot of the sting out of yesterday's ugly loss, and we can cut the deficit back down to 4.5 games. If we lose, though, we'll fall back to 6.5 out, and IMO will kill any confidence that this team may still have -- and at this point they cannot afford to lose any since they have very little to begin with.

BTW, what's with the tendancy now to score all of our runs in bunches? For the longest time, we couldn't get 4 runs in a game period -- now we seem to have a big inning pretty frequently, but after that inning ends, we get shutdown for the rest of the game. It doesn't make sense. It happened in the first 2 Cub games, and obviously it happened again Wednesday. It's nice to see the Sox get 5 runs in a game, but when all of them come in 1 inning and you get shut down for the other 10, it's quite pitiful.

Today's early start game is the most important game of the season so far for the Sox.  If we can come out and take the series, it will take a lot of the sting out of yesterday's ugly loss, and we can cut the deficit back down to 4.5 games.  If we lose, though, we'll fall back to 6.5 out, and IMO will kill any confidence that this team may still have -- and at this point they cannot afford to lose any since they have very little to begin with.

BTW, what's with the tendancy now to score all of our runs in bunches?  For the longest time, we couldn't get 4 runs in a game period -- now we seem to have a big inning pretty frequently, but after that inning ends, we get shutdown for the rest of the game.  It doesn't make sense.  It happened in the first 2 Cub games, and obviously it happened again Wednesday.  It's nice to see the Sox get 5 runs in a game, but when all of them come in 1 inning and you get shut down for the other 10, it's quite pitiful.

Today is a huge game you are right, I like the early start as it doesn't give them much time to dwell on the loss.

As to the offense, I like the signs that we are showing. We had 13 hits last night. I can't remember the last time we had 13 hits in one game (the most in the Cubs series was 11hits) So we are a step closer. before we were getting 3 or 4 hits and scoring one run.

The key to today is to jump on Radke early. Get that confidence back. Plus getting 7 or 8 out of Mark would be huge.

Today's early start game is the most important game of the season so far for the Sox.  If we can come out and take the series, it will take a lot of the sting out of yesterday's ugly loss, and we can cut the deficit back down to 4.5 games.  If we lose, though, we'll fall back to 6.5 out, and IMO will kill any confidence that this team may still have -- and at this point they cannot afford to lose any since they have very little to begin with.

BTW, what's with the tendancy now to score all of our runs in bunches?  For the longest time, we couldn't get 4 runs in a game period -- now we seem to have a big inning pretty frequently, but after that inning ends, we get shutdown for the rest of the game.  It doesn't make sense.  It happened in the first 2 Cub games, and obviously it happened again Wednesday.  It's nice to see the Sox get 5 runs in a game, but when all of them come in 1 inning and you get shut down for the other 10, it's quite pitiful.

Today is a huge game you are right, I like the early start as it doesn't give them much time to dwell on the loss.

As to the offense, I like the signs that we are showing. We had 13 hits last night. I can't remember the last time we had 13 hits in one game (the most in the Cubs series was 11hits) So we are a step closer. before we were getting 3 or 4 hits and scoring one run.

The key to today is to jump on Radke early. Get that confidence back. Plus getting 7 or 8 out of Mark would be huge.

I completely agree. I am very happy that it's an early game today. I just got home from work and watched the end of the game. I already knew that we had lost because I checked, but it was somewhat therapudic to watch it. I even rewound it and watched it twice. Helped me get over it. :)

And yes, with our bullpen pitching as much as it did yesterday, we absolutely need either 7 or 8 from MB, or a 7 or 8 run lead so guys like Glover and Sanders can come in and limp through the rest of the game.

Guest Ncorgbl
With Buerhle's mindset about the Metrodome and after last nights tragedy its going to be tough to win today.

Maybe even tougher than we think.

From today's Sun-Times

June 26, 2003

MINNEAPOLIS--Armando Rios got a rare start in right field Wednesday, taking the place of Magglio Ordonez, who was out of the lineup for just the second time this season.

White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said Ordonez was trying to shake a virus, but another explanation emerged.

"This is a guy that he doesn't hit very well, so I think he's kind of welcoming it himself,'' Manuel said of the Sox' matchup against Twins starter Joe Mays. "It gives us a chance to get Rios some at-bats.''

Ordonez was batting just .162 (6-for-37) in his career against Mays, who lasted 3-1/3 innings.

Ordonez pinch-hit for DH Brian Daubach in the seventh inning and went 2-for-3 against Twins relievers.

The matchup today against Brad Radke is a better one for Ordonez, who is batting .475 (19-for-40) against the Twins right-hander.

Manuel plans to start Paul Konerko at first base today and give Frank Thomas a rest. Konerko is batting .345 (10-for-29) in his career against Radke with a home run and five RBI. Thomas is batting .250 (11-for-44) against Radke with three homers and seven RBI.

Ordonez, who said four weeks ago that the Sox stink, is optimistic about the kind of baseball the team has played of late.

"We have to do it with pitching and good hitters,'' Ordonez said. "Before we got pitching and not hitting, and then hitting and not pitching. We have better players this year and better pitchers, and we just have to keep playing like that and see what happens.''

Doug Padilla

That is a tendency that bad teams have. You kind of shoot your wad in one good inning and then relax and hope that the rest of your teammates can hold the lead, instead of continuing the fight to scratch out more runs and play winning baseball for the rest of the game. A psychologist would have a field day with that question, Clujer. The solution starts with the manager. It's an attitude thing, and it is acquired. That game last night was exactly the type of game that was winable and would have been won with a different manager with a different attitude. That tendency to sit on your heels and wait for the rest of your team to win the game has manifested itself several times this year as Clujer noted.

Maybe even tougher than we think.

From today's Sun-Times

June 26, 2003

MINNEAPOLIS--Armando Rios got a rare start in right field Wednesday, taking the place of Magglio Ordonez, who was out of the lineup for just the second time this season.

White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said Ordonez was trying to shake a virus, but another explanation emerged.

"This is a guy that he doesn't hit very well, so I think he's kind of welcoming it himself,'' Manuel said of the Sox' matchup against Twins starter Joe Mays. "It gives us a chance to get Rios some at-bats.''

Ordonez was batting just .162 (6-for-37) in his career against Mays, who lasted 3-1/3 innings.

Ordonez pinch-hit for DH Brian Daubach in the seventh inning and went 2-for-3 against Twins relievers.

The matchup today against Brad Radke is a better one for Ordonez, who is batting .475 (19-for-40) against the Twins right-hander.

Manuel plans to start Paul Konerko at first base today and give Frank Thomas a rest. Konerko is batting .345 (10-for-29) in his career against Radke with a home run and five RBI. Thomas is batting .250 (11-for-44) against Radke with three homers and seven RBI.

Ordonez, who said four weeks ago that the Sox stink, is optimistic about the kind of baseball the team has played of late.

"We have to do it with pitching and good hitters,'' Ordonez said. "Before we got pitching and not hitting, and then hitting and not pitching. We have better players this year and better pitchers, and we just have to keep playing like that and see what happens.''

Doug Padilla

Well just a few games ago we used a weird ass lineup and they came out of the gates running. Hopefully facing a guy he's had success against will get PK in a good mindset and get a couple of hits today. We need it from him.

That is a tendency that bad teams have.  You kind of shoot your wad in one good inning and then relax and hope that the rest of your teammates can hold the lead, instead of continuing the fight to scratch out more runs and play winning baseball for the rest of the game.  A psychologist would have a field day with that question, Clujer.  The solution starts with the manager.  It's an attitude thing, and it is acquired.  That game last night was exactly the type of game that was winable and would have been won with a different manager with a different attitude.  That tendency to sit on your heels and wait for the rest of your team to win the game has manifested itself several times this year as Clujer noted.

Why does this make so much sense?

Also have we scored any runs off good bullpen pitchers? Like SF, Cubs, Minny, Oakland, or Seattle?

I said that if Sox are going to hit&pitch like they have shown in 2000-2002, we can--no, need--go 14-4.

So far we are 1-1, now it becomes 13-3. Minnesota-Cubs-AL bottom dwellers we play in the next 3 weeks should be put in their place once and for all. If we can't win at least 11 games, we might as well pull a WFT-2 and get it done with.

It has been such a frustrating season so far. Look at the failures of players like PK and Koch, Buerhle's struggles, Colon's up's and downs, etc, etc, and that's why predictions are so iffy. You just never know in this game.

We need to come back and win today that's for sure. I am hoping that Buerhle coming off some good starts and also his admission about pitching in the baggie dome will motivate him to the next level. Let's Go Sox!

Here are the players I personally blame for this mess:

-White

-Glover

-Colon

-Jimenez

-Burly

-Galrand

-Wright

-Valentin

-Harris

-Crede

-Ordonez

-Rowand

-Lee

-Alomar

-Rios

-Koch

-Gordon

-and KONG

Here are those who get an exemption:

-Loaiza

-Thomas

-Olivo

-Daubach

-Wunsht

-Marte (yes, despite 5 blown saves)

-Graffanino (I don't know why but I give him a pass)

-Borchard

I have little confidence winning this game because Buehrle is just b****ing and does not want to pitch at all. A perfect story line for him is getting rocked and b****ing after the game... "i told you i just hate pitching there...see what happens?"

If he says that, his teammates have every right to beat his ass into a bloody pulp. I don't know what Mark's problem is. He seems to have a case of "Idon'tknowwhentoshutup-itis". For those of you who rag on Frank for some of the things he's said over the years, I don't hear much about MB -- who in just 3 short years has made several highly moronic statements. The team shouldn't allow him to speak to the media -- only bad can come out of it.

If he says that, his teammates have every right to beat his ass into a bloody pulp.  I don't know what Mark's problem is.  He seems to have a case of "Idon'tknowwhentoshutup-itis".  For those of you who rag on Frank for some of the things he's said over the years, I don't hear much about MB -- who in just 3 short years has made several highly moronic statements.  The team shouldn't allow him to speak to the media -- only bad can come out of it.

? :huh: Mark gets trashed for saying stupid s*** everytime he does it. Did you miss the thread from Monday about his comments on the Dome?

? :huh: Mark gets trashed for saying stupid s*** everytime he does it.  Did you miss the thread from Monday about his comments on the Dome?

He gets bashed at the time of the quote...but then talk of it seems to die down.

Maybe I'm just over-protective of Frank, but it seems like a lot of stuff from the past is talked about when it comes to Frank, but not other players.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm just over-protective of Frank, but it seems like a lot of stuff from the past is talked about when it comes to Frank, but not other players

I may not be the biggest fan of his batspeed, but I absolutely love the way he speaks this year, charm and honesty and all.

Shammy, Kong and Burly should be taking notes.

I may not be the biggest fan of his batspeed, but I absolutely love the way he speaks this year, charm and honesty and all. 

I agree -- Frank has said all the right things thus far in '03.

He gets bashed at the time of the quote...but then talk of it seems to die down.

Maybe I'm just over-protective of Frank, but it seems like a lot of stuff from the past is talked about when it comes to Frank, but not other players.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Heck there are people still bringing up all of the Konerko stuff a year later. And this was after they had supposedly settled and Frank went into training camp and ripped Pauly, Jerry, and Kenny all in one setting.

Really on this team the only guy who has more BS to say than Frank is Mark. Pretty much everyone else keeps their mouths shut for the most part. Frank has been quiet as of late though, which is the smartest thing he can do. Just let his play do the talking.

I might go as far to say that Frank is being a "team player"...and Mark is not. For a 4th year guy...not being a team player is a huge no no

I might go as far to say that Frank is being a "team player"...and Mark is not. For a 4th year guy...not being a team player is a huge no no

Yes. Mark has not earned the right to say stupid stuff, LOL -- Frank has. :lol:

You know, for "not liking" the dome, he sure as hell pitched a gem today.

Maybe we should have him not like pitching everywhere now? :)

I don't know what it was....he could have said I'm pitching s***ty right now....but it wouldn't have mattered to me. We have a big game....clujer calling it THE biggest game of the year so far.....and Mark goes out and throws a gem. Didn't I say something about Mark being a stopper, our big game pitcher, not that long ago? And that in this situation, Jon/Judy Garland would have s*** his pants?

In big games, I have a TON of confidence that Mark will get the job done. He is a big game pitcher. He will be great in the postseason.