VSL White Sox

Flash Tizzle

Earlier I attempted to browse through the statistics of our Venezuelan summer league team and noticed our split squad with Baltimore isn't present. Does anyone know why this is? Please don't say they've abandoned it in the one damn country the influence of Guillen and the White Sox should hold a monopoly on outgoing talent.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 02:18 AM)
Earlier I attempted to browse through the statistics of our Venezuelan summer league team and noticed our split squad with Baltimore isn't present. Does anyone know why this is? Please don't say they've abandoned it in the one damn country the influence of Guillen and the White Sox should hold a monopoly on outgoing talent.

Big $$$ for signing bonuses > Influence of Guillen

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
Big $$$ for signing bonuses > Influence of Guillen

Of course.

But big signing bonuses + Guillen's influence = something no one else can match.

A deciding factor in Felix Hernandez signing with Seattle was the presence of Freddy Garcia. If we can't use our World Series championship or notable manager to draw in talent, in addition to enough funds available to sign talent, then it's a disgrace.

I've already set the expectations of a legitimate #1 or #2 starter emerging by 2010 from Venezuela. It's time someone does their job down there.

And none of this answers the question of where our VSL team went.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
Of course.

But big signing bonuses + Guillen's influence = something no one else can match.

A deciding factor in Felix Hernandez signing with Seattle was the presence of Freddy Garcia. If we can't use our World Series championship or notable manager to draw in talent, in addition to enough funds available to sign talent, then it's a disgrace.

I've already set the expectations of a legitimate #1 or #2 starter emerging by 2010 from Venezuela. It's time someone does their job down there.

And none of this answers the question of where our VSL team went.

If we're not willing to outspend the Detroit Tigers, this organization seriously has questionable, Cub-esque priorities, especially after winning one WS.

I think a lot of it has to do with the unstable/unfriendly political situation down there. I lived in Colombia all last year, which is right next door, and I'm not sure you want to put your ballplayers through some of that stress...of course, the Uribe accusation/ransom/kidnapping type of situation can happen in any Latin country, and, if you believe the movies, Slovakia as well, lol.