U20 US Soccer beats U20 Brazil

2-1 win for the US. Jozy Altidore (better than Adu and younger by 5 months) scored both goals today. The US team finished group play 2-0-1 with a tie against South Korea and a 6-1 pounding of Poland. This is a great group of young players for the US. This group of US players beat Brazil before at the 2005 Milk Cup (yes I'm a soccer nut), which is a 19 and under competition. The future might be bright for US soccer down the road. Though the MNT B team got spanked in the Copa America.

Due to my disguist with the Sox and my interest in International Soccer (I am bored by club/league games, but love to watch International matches), I watched this entire game. To be fair, Adu made an AMAZING play to get past 2 defenders and help set up the game winning goal, but that kid Altidore seems like a great finisher. Adu also had a hat trick when the U.S. blew out Poland like 5 or 6-1 (and Poland also beat Brazil and qualifed for the final 16).

The U.S. was supposedly in the tougest group by far, so for them to win the group is pretty cool to see, hopefully they go far in the knockout rounds. Obviously not everybody has all their best players in this, but I'd assume it's a good sign for our soccer that we're doing well in this tournament since it's all kids playing basically. Also, that goalie for the U.S. is really good, he was a big reason why they tied South Korea and played an awesome game against Brazil last night.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

If the US wins a world cup i can die a happy person. I was so devastated by last years collapse. I hope this is a sign of a brighter future for US soccer, because a US world cup victory would be so great! I get the chills just thinking about it! I like that guy Altidore, he's special.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
If the US wins a world cup i can die a happy person. I was so devastated by last years collapse. I hope this is a sign of a brighter future for US soccer, because a US world cup victory would be so great! I get the chills just thinking about it! I like that guy Altidore, he's special.

I really can't imagine the US, or any other non-premier football country winning the World Cup any time soon. Hell, only 7 different countries have won the damn tournament. As long as Argentina, France, Brazil, and Italy keep pumping out superstar players, it'll be tough for anyone to compete. I expect Argentina to dominate international competition in the next few years to come, especially with the slow decline of Brazil.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
I really can't imagine the US, or any other non-premier football country winning the World Cup any time soon. Hell, only 7 different countries have won the damn tournament. As long as Argentina, France, Brazil, and Italy keep pumping out superstar players, it'll be tough for anyone to compete. I expect Argentina to dominate international competition in the next few years to come, especially with the slow decline of Brazil.

I really think we'll win a World Cup someday. but that being said, you wouldnt think its been 41 years since England hoisted the trophy.

I too watched the game and came away very impressed. Adu did not dominate the game at all, but he did stand out as one of the better players there. Also, i liked Altidore but to me he seems like a more athletic version of a Clint Mathis/Brian McBride and will be a on dimensional player. Didnt see much out of Szetela, which was disappointing b/c i'd heard a lot about him coming in. All in all it seems like a promising group of youngsters.

Also, was it me or did Brazil's defense look really bad? I did notice Jo and Pato(sp?) up front for them. They look like they'll be good ones, although Pato didnt strike me as the "prodigy" people use when talking about him. And Jo looks like a young Didier Drogba. Brazil's gonna have another crop of good forwards.