If we go after Alomar

If we were to, in fact, go after Alomar, I'm thinking about a trade along the lines of Rios, Jiminez, and a minor league prospect for Alomar. We'd cut some of the fat, add on a solid bat and defender, and become a better team overall.

If we were to, in fact, go after Alomar, I'm thinking about a trade along the lines of Rios, Jiminez, and a minor league prospect for Alomar.  We'd cut some of the fat, add on a solid bat and defender, and become a better team overall.

Yeah, i wouldnt give much for Alomar, but if we can get him cheap, id go for it.

If we trade for Alomar, the Mets will have to pick most of his huge salary

Which means we may have to part with someone decent....

No way the Sox pick up even half of Alomar's salary.....would not make sense if they were not willing to pay for Ray

No way the Sox pick up even half of Alomar's salary.....would not make sense if they were not willing to pay for Ray

You don't think the Expos were going to pay Juan Gone do you? Nope... that's the price these days. The Sox are competing with a couple of teams for Alomar, so that could jack up the price a bit.

Gammons has said that the Mets will pick up ALL of his salary and thats why both the Expos and the Royals are in it along with us.

I'm sorry to tell you this fans but it looks like Cotts won't be here bye the end of the week. It seems that his name has come up in talks for both Alomar and Weaver and if we trade for either one Cotts will be the one going to the other team.

I like Cotts but this is the nature of the game. You have to give something to get something. I don't think the Mets would ever take a trade of Rios, DJ, and a propest for Alomar, because well they aren't getting thing back to help them except for maybe DJ. I think the best deal for us would be DJ and Rauch for Alomar. But as of last night it looks like it will be Cotts for Alomar.

Gammons has said that the Mets will pick up ALL of his salary and thats why both the Expos and the Royals are in it along with us.

I'm sorry to tell you this fans but it looks like Cotts won't be here bye the end of the week. It seems that his name has come up in talks for both Alomar and Weaver and if we trade for either one Cotts will be the one going to the other team.

I like Cotts but this is the nature of the game. You have to give something to get something. I don't think the Mets would ever take a trade of Rios, DJ, and a propest for Alomar, because well they aren't getting thing back to help them except for maybe DJ. I think the best deal for us would be DJ and Rauch for Alomar. But as of last night it looks like it will be Cotts for Alomar.

I think that would be a huge mistake. Trading Cotts for a 3-month rental player is not smart. If KW has the balls to call their bluff, the Sox have other players that can be traded.

I agree, Rex. Alomar is on the way downhill, and who knows if he'd be "rejuvenated" by coming to a contender? Weaver might be worth Cotts, I don't know. But Alomar is not. Trades like that are made by fools. Oh s***... we are in trouble!

I think everyone is reading things wrong. Gammons said when the Sox and Yanks talked about Weaver, the name of Cotts came up. Who knows what happened after that. Maybe the Sox GM laughed and hung up the phone.

I'll care if something actually happens.

I think everyone is reading things wrong. Gammons said when the Sox and Yanks talked about Weaver, the name of Cotts came up. Who knows what happened after that. Maybe the Sox GM laughed and hung up the phone.

Keep in mind we are still talking about Kenny Williams... ;)

Keep in mind we are still talking about Kenny Williams... ;)

That is what I meant by this:

Trades like that are made by fools. Oh s***... we are in trouble!

The more i think about it, the more i like this deal. DJ sucks. Hate em. What happens then is that rowand and harris can split CF duties, and we hope one of em stays hot the rest of the year. Chances are, one of em will tank, that's what i think. I think it will take the pressure off of both of em, and they can hit towards the bottom of the order where they have a better chance for success.

The more i think about it, the more i like this deal. DJ sucks. Hate em. What happens then is that rowand and harris can split CF duties, and we hope one of em stays hot the rest of the year. Chances are, one of em will tank, that's what i think. I think it will take the pressure off of both of em, and they can hit towards the bottom of the order where they have a better chance for success.

All of you guys giving up on DJ already, fine. I guarantee you we will regret letting him go if he's involved in a trade for Alomar, etc.

His mistakes on the field and on the basepaths are correctable, unlike Valentin where it persists for years. I liked what I saw from him in his SD days, and I know what I heard from friends and friends of friends that actually work or know people who work with the Padres organization and have witnessed the harrassment he received from Klesko and Nevin on a daily basis.

Maybe he's still p1ssed about that and refuses to let it happen again, thus not thinking clearly, or the Klesko statements are affecting his game. Did you notice when his "downfall" started occurring? Right after the Padres series...

If we get Alomar, cool....just can't give up on Jimenez immediately after that. He can still do much better then Graffy in a utility role the rest of the year, and in a few more years who knows?

Of course, if it's between DJ and Miles as to who we have to give up to get Alomar, we'd have to say goodbye to DJ due to Miles having more of an upside for the future.

DJ probably has more of an upside than Miles... IF he gets his head on straight. Big IF, though.

Guest wsc425

Roberto Alomar 2B NYM Signed Nov 1998 - 5 years/$38M

1999: $6.5M (+$1.0M signing bonus)

2000: $7.0M

2001: $7.5M

2002: $8.0M

2003: $8.0M option exercised

2004: Free Agent

http://www.bluemanc.demon.co.uk/baseball/m...lbcontracts.htm

I don't know If the Sox should acquire Alomar for Cotts. If the Sox were smart, they would trade Rios.

IMO, Alomar isn't worth it unless Sandy tells him to stay.