I bet Dye will be back next year

VAfan

At this stage, I'd say the chances of him staying are probably 60:40 right now, after what happened at the deadline.

He wants a 3 year deal, the Sox are only going to offer a 1 maybe 2 tops.

So I think a compromise e.g a 2 year deal with a team option based on incentives such as AB's etc. could be reached.

If Dye does leave however, do we replace him in house with Ryan Sweeney, or go for another stopgap in a Geoff Jenkins type of hitter, if the Sox brass feel that Sweeney still isn't ready yet (which I don't think he is either, and I don't know if he'll ever be a regular major league outfielder actually)?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
At this stage, I'd say the chances of him staying are probably 60:40 right now, after what happened at the deadline.

He wants a 3 year deal, the Sox are only going to offer a 1 maybe 2 tops.

So I think a compromise e.g a 2 year deal with a team option based on incentives such as AB's etc. could be reached.

If Dye does leave however, do we replace him in house with Ryan Sweeney, or go for another stopgap in a Geoff Jenkins type of hitter, if the Sox brass feel that Sweeney still isn't ready yet (which I don't think he is either, and I don't know if he'll ever be a regular major league outfielder actually)?

Thanks for bringing this back to a Dye thread, instead of a Konerko/Thome thread.

We can't go with Sweeney in RF, Owens in LF, and some mystery person in CF because we're looking at 10 HRs total from the corner outfielders. If we replace Iguchi with Richar and Uribe with someone else, there's another 30-40 HRs lost. The Sox cannot win at the Cell unless they hit 200 long balls or close to it.

The main reason I see Dye coming back is a) he wants to, and will strike a deal to stay, and B) KW knows we need his offense. He's going to be our best hitter in the second half because he'll come on while Thome will fade.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)

I'd love to replace JD with Sweeney next year, but even "prospect happy Balta" has to admit that Sweeney's numbers right now do not tell me he's ready for the big time. If JD does leave, we need to have an OF other than Owens and Fields, and our only 2 in house options appear to be Anderson and Sweeney, and both are on the DL and not living up to their promise right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
I'd love to replace JD with Sweeney next year, but even "prospect happy Balta" has to admit that Sweeney's numbers right now do not tell me he's ready for the big time. If JD does leave, we need to have an OF other than Owens and Fields, and our only 2 in house options appear to be Anderson and Sweeney, and both are on the DL and not living up to their promise right now.

A couple of scenarios there. The Sox could sign Aaron Rowand to play CF, but then would Owens and Fields both be starting OF's? Who would play RF?

Or, the Sox could sign a Jenkins stopgap, someone who can play RF, to let Owens play CF and Fields in LF.

Of course the Sox could decide to trade Crede, so Fields slides in there, and it opens up another OF spot. So really a LOT of possibilities here.