Report: Yankees move on Girardi

Balta1701

ESPN's saying the Yankees have a manager.

Just think...the Red Sox got roughly 10 hours of coverage sandwiched between Yankee events. They must feel truly special.

The Yankees officially offered their managerial job to Joe Girardi on Monday morning and he is expected to accept it, a source has told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

"The Yankees have offered Joe the opportunity to become their next manager. Discussions are ongoing." Steve Mandell, Girardi's agent, said. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Don Mattingly and Tony Pena that they will not be getting the job.

Girardi was in Denver for the World Series. A source said he is expected to fly to New York for the announcement, which is likely to come Tuesday. Girardi's contract is expected to be in the three-year, $6 million range.

Mattingly will not accept a position on the Yankees coaching staff, Marchand and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney are reporting.

It doesn't shock me. Don was loyal to Torre and at first it didn't even sound like he was going to go for the job after the way the Yanks ran Joe out of town (he was expected to step in when Joe eventually retired).

I'm sure Don will either get a managerial job or make way to LA where he will join Torre's staff once again (after he gets hired by the Dodgers).

perfect fit for that team IMO....he knows alot of the vets already, and would hopefully be able to help their young pitchers hit their potential....hes a classic fiery guy that is hired after the laid back manager leaves....and usually teams tend to respond to that (at least for a year or two)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
It doesn't shock me. Don was loyal to Torre and at first it didn't even sound like he was going to go for the job after the way the Yanks ran Joe out of town (he was expected to step in when Joe eventually retired).

I'm sure Don will either get a managerial job or make way to LA where he will join Torre's staff once again (after he gets hired by the Dodgers).

Mattingly's son is also in the Dodgers farm system.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
The Dodgers could turn into the Yanks/Red Sox cast off team. If Torre/Don make there way to LA, does A-Rod follow???

They could really use a power bat and with all the other young players already in their lineup they could very easily afford to add Arod's large contract without having a ridiculous payroll (plus in LA they have a large stadium and generate good revenue). I think the Dodgers could do this while moving both Pierre/Furcal (they have younger alternatives at both of those positions).