Steroids, HGH, and the HOF

SoxFanInDallas

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
I am not sure you 'get' my point. I am that as an excuse. What MY issue is is that the Mitchell Report is a 'sliver' (Sen. Mitchell's words) of the problem that existed in baseball. What is going to happen is that HOF voters are going to NOT vote in Clemens and Bonds or anyone else noted in this report. As the Senator said, it is a SLIVER of the problem. Owners, commissioners, etc. perpetuated the problem. So, net effect is that during a period of time going back to the 70's and 80's when players were using amphetamines, etc., steroids started to also enter the picture. While this was happening, the whole league was turning its back on the problem. So, I have a problem that a guy like Clemens will likely not make the HOF, but there are guys that will not have been identified that may have shot themselves up weekly, but just happened to not get their stuff from the guys that cooperated with the investigation.

Welcome to how laws are enforced. You never, ever get everyone. You get as many as you can, and the risk of getting caught cuts down the number of future rule-breakers. That will never of course cause a complete cessation of that rule or law being broken - just reduce it. That is what Mitchell is trying to do, with this first big step. Others will come along and, hopefully, further the effort. But for now, I have no problem with Clemens or Bonds being penalized for breaking the law and the rules of baseball. The "but Mommy, Jimmy does it too!" excuse holds no sway with me (in fact, better that Clemens points out Jimmy so he can be penalized too). And judging by the fan reaction in the public to this, a significant portion of the fan base agrees.

As far as the HOF is concerned, those folks who are being seriously considered will be put under the microscope. Its unlikely that, for example, Clemens is kept out, but Maddux is let in without anyone giving him a second look. His records will be dug into by someone too, before his name comes up on the ballot.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a problem that almost only American athletes are going to suffer becasue the probe did not look into South America?

Do you have a probelm that for some of these athletes who are not national citizens, they can return to their home country to take some of these drugs legally?

Where is the justice in that?

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 06:27 PM)
Do you have a problem that almost only American athletes are going to suffer becasue the probe did not look into South America?

Do you have a probelm that for some of these athletes who are not national citizens, they can return to their home country to take some of these drugs legally?

Where is the justice in that?

That's why the next step needs to be better testing with near-zero advance notice.

Do you think that no rule or law should ever be enforced unless there is a 100% airtight perfect enforcement solution available?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
That's why the next step needs to be better testing with near-zero advance notice.

Do you think that no rule or law should ever be enforced unless there is a 100% airtight perfect enforcement solution available?

As I stated in the general Mitchell Report thread, a bona fide testing regimen should be the best thing to emerge from the report. Not run by MLB or the MLBPA, but by an \outside company.

If you are an Olympic-class athlete in many sports, you are subject to out-of-competition testing 365 days a year. That's what should happen in baseball.

I'll freely admit that I'm not exactly holding my breath at the prospect, though.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
As I stated in the general Mitchell Report thread, a bona fide testing regimen should be the best thing to emerge from the report. Not run by MLB or the MLBPA, but by an \outside company.

If you are an Olympic-class athlete in many sports, you are subject to out-of-competition testing 365 days a year. That's what should happen in baseball, football, basketball and hockey.

I'll freely admit that I'm not exactly holding my breath at the prospect, though.

Fixed that for you.