Brent Metheny: interesting minor league signing

scenario

Found this while digging through info about players from the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). I know signing players at this level is not a big thing, but I found it interesting so I thought I'd share it.

JMU BASEBALL PRO REPORT: OFFSEASON MOVEMENT

HARRISONBURG, Va., Dec. 7, 2007 – The offseason in baseball can be a busy time of movement for professional players. While it’s still early in the offseason, several former James Madison University Diamond Dukes have already been on the move.

Former third baseman Brent Metheny (2000-03) compiled one of the top statistical seasons in the Northern League, regarded among the best independent leagues in the country. He was rewarded recently by having his contract purchased by the Chicago White Sox. Playing for the Winnipeg Goldeyes, Metheny hit .304 with 68 runs, 21 doubles, 21 home runs, 70 RBIs, a .406 on-base percentage, a .561 slugging percentage, and 17 steals in 93 games. He tied for second in the league in home runs, finished third in slugging, and had the fourth-best on-base plus slugging mark at .967. He was one of four Goldeyes named to the Northern League All-Star Game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a little more digging. Looks like he's had one tour of duty with us before. 2006 at Kannapolis. So, he's probably just a minor league roster filler.

What are we doing signing 27 year-olds to play A-ball?? :huh:

Edited by scenario