The joke that is KW and the White Sox

Steve9347

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
Well, unfortunately this has turned into another "trash the organization" thread over the fact that Crede and Uribe are getting the starting nods.

But I'm going to try and counter what Steve initially seemed to be saying in this thread, which is "What the hell was/is the plan this offseason?"

In order to try and understand what the plan is/was, you've got to look at how the offseason unfolded, as opposed to what the result is now.

Excellent Post!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Beast @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
I just am curious about the makeup 25-man roster and if KW keeps Masset over Wassermann, which potentially could be a truly stupid move.

White Sox Baseball: Stupid Moves R Us

Actually I was really optimistic until this Fields thing. Wanna bet he eventually signs with Borass now?

Edited by klaus kinski

Blah blah blah. Overreaction blame-game bulls*** with simple minded answers for complex situations. You may be Steve #9347, & you'll never be Steve Number One to me. You're a real man of long winded complaints based on false pretenses.

Is it kenny's fault richar got injured?

We have a lot of young talent in the OF, even more than we thought, and that's a bad thing.

Ever think that maybe we can get more for crede with a month up here? Ever think that maybe josh could use some work on his plate discipline and glove work?

Those are the answers to the summary of your three major complaints.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Blah blah blah. Overreaction blame-game bulls*** with simple minded answers for complex situations. You may be Steve #9347, & you'll never be Steve Number One to me. You're a real man of long winded complaints based on false pretenses.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, dude. If you're ecstatic the Sox didn't cut ties with Uribe, good for you... me? I'm a realist.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, dude. If you're ecstatic the Sox didn't cut ties with Uribe, good for you... me? I'm a realist.

No, I was happy they put him on waivers and supposedly someone picked him up. Then richar broke his rib and I was happy when they took him off waivers. Richar will heal, and uribe will be gone. Kenny made the right moves. I don't see how you can blame him for richar breaking a rib.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
No, I was happy they put him on waivers and supposedly someone picked him up. Then richar broke his rib and I was happy when they took him off waivers. Richar will heal, and uribe will be gone. Kenny made the right moves. I don't see how you can blame him for richar breaking a rib.

I don't blame him for Richar breaking a rib. I blame him for not taking a golden opportunity to move Juan Uribe. He could have just as easily signed Marcus Giles whose production would be downright identical at 1/5 of Uribe's salary. Uribe knows he's unwanted, and now he's still here. They are throwing away money, but like I said that's not my problem. I actually watch these games though, and watching Uribe for ONE MORE AT BAT will be one too many.

Interesting tidbit from Jason Grey today.

The White Sox are expected to make a decision on their starting second baseman on Tuesday. If Juan Uribe is the choice, I don't expect him to stay in that job for very long. After two seasons of 20-plus homers but also a sub-.240 batting average, Uribe looks done to me. His swing looks late on everything and it is apparent that he's trying to guess the pitch and take a big cut at it. If he guesses right, he can hit it.

The whole Uribe thing - i cant see why that gets people upset. No question Jerry would like to have the $4.5M back, but why do we care so much? They were willing to spend more than that on the difference between Hunter and Swisher, so really it's not like they wouldve spent that elsewhere. They can but didnt want to overpay for any of the remaining bigger FAs that hadn't said no yet.

And, yes, the job is Richar's unless Uribe (or Alexei) is outstanding early. It's Richar's turn, and neither Ozzie nor the org have ever stood in the way of that.

Seriously, its obvious you skimmed to the paragraph headers and then went on super defend the White Sox mode. How does this statement in my original post say I blame Kenny for Richar's injury? Just show me that one spot and I'll care what you have to say. Right now, however, you're on my ignore list.

We've got Sexy 'Lexi looking good, and Richar's only out a few weeks (news that broke the same day Uribe was placed on waivers, surely making this somewhat difficult for Kenny, but not really). I mean, seriously, if you're worried about that, let Juan go and sign Marcus Giles for something like 700k and save yourself a lot of money while getting roughly the same production.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
I don't blame him for Richar breaking a rib. I blame him for not taking a golden opportunity to move Juan Uribe. He could have just as easily signed Marcus Giles whose production would be downright identical at 1/5 of Uribe's salary. Uribe knows he's unwanted, and now he's still here. They are throwing away money, but like I said that's not my problem. I actually watch these games though, and watching Uribe for ONE MORE AT BAT will be one too many.

Interesting tidbit from Jason Grey today.

Yeah that would make a huge difference. Giles could come up and hit .229 for less power. Awesome move!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
Seriously, its obvious you skimmed to the paragraph headers and then went on super defend the White Sox mode. How does this statement in my original post say I blame Kenny for Richar's injury? Just show me that one spot and I'll care what you have to say. Right now, however, you're on my ignore list.

4-6 isn't a few weeks.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)

Giles' career stats downward sloping at present. Is pretty much 30 now and he hit .224 last yr. If he's identical to Uribe, they're throwing away 1/5 of Uribe's salary cost, too... which should also anger you. Because it's more JR money that you dont want seen thrown away.

I think your last sentence marks the problem: we're letting our emotions get motivated by which players we're sick of seeing. When in truth, we have in Uribe a guy who can play SS if Cabrera goes down with anything. That's not worthless. I dont want Ozuna at SS and Alexei's fielding still has to be investigated more before it's truly known where/what he can do.

You'd have a valid point on all this if not for the existence of (and plans in place for) Richar. Cano II !

Edited by Princess Dye

My point is, you have no clue as do I, what is going to happen when Richar is healthy again. Uribe may have increased his value, decreased it, or it might be the same. So why not put him back on waivers when we have the opportunity in a month and a half? Or maybe a better move could be made if he stays hot.

Instead you are just complaining about our bad luck of richar getting hurt at this moment.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, dude. If you're ecstatic the Sox didn't cut ties with Uribe, good for you... me? I'm a realist pessimist.

Edited for accuracy.

The Sox didn't exactly look like world-beaters going into 2005, either. Be fair and wait until June or so before declaring the Sox a "joke."

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
Edited for accuracy.

The Sox didn't exactly look like world-beaters going into 2005, either. Be fair and wait until June or so before declaring the Sox a "joke."

Actually, I was quite high on the White Sox going into 2005 because of their pitching staff and the addition of a true leadoff hitter and a catcher who could actually hit. Do you remember before 05 when we had 5th starter woes? What do you think of 3rd, 4th, AND 5th starter woes?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
I'd put my house on him not having increased value.

It will probably stay about the same, but he usually starts off hot. The point is, he might just get traded when we dont need him and you are panicking now. You are also panicking with joe and josh. If you want to blame anyone for josh being sent down, blame joe for sucking major horse dong in spring and being greedy and selfish last year, not kenny.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Actually, I was quite high on the White Sox going into 2005 because of their pitching staff and the addition of a true leadoff hitter and a catcher who could actually hit. Do you remember before 05 when we had 5th starter woes? What do you think of 3rd, 4th, AND 5th starter woes?

Garland was worse in 2004 than he was in 2003. El Duque was the 5th starter who had pitched very little the previous couple of years. Contreras was a guy 95% of this board hated, even wanted traded halfway through the 2005 season as part of a package for AJ Burnett. That would have been disasterous. People can cry that Fields is in AAA, but he was hitting .229 with a .284 OBP halfway through Sept. last year, before he beat up the KC Royals in a battle for last place. I fail to see how a couple of months at AAA will ruin his career. Ramirez has played in Cuba which is compared to high A ball. Sure he's looked good in spring training, but there's no way to project what he will do when the games count. People on this board ripped the Cubs for Fukudome, saying the level of play in Japan isn't up to snuff. Its considered a higher level than the Cuban league. The guy probably has never played in a game where it wasn't at least 60 degrees. Uribe has had success in the major leagues, but hasn't come close to his potential. Maybe fighting for a job and playing for a contract will help him put together a full season. If he plays like he did his first year with the Sox, he's far and away the better player for 2008. I don't think the Sox will win their diviion or make the playoffs, and I don't think the reason will be Crede and Uribe.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)

You were "high" on Jose Contreras after his disasterous stint in NY, an apparently washed-up El Duque, an injured Frank, a not-quite-there-yet Garland, Dustin Hermanson, and an aging/declining Shingo Takatsu? I wasn't. And I was pretty pissed that Maggs and Carlos Lee were gone. Agreed that I liked Freddy back then as a #2 more than I like Javy right now and that the rotation was stronger in '05. Then again, the '05 Sox were abysmal at the plate... only two starters had an OBP of .350 or higher.

I still don't understand the complaining about Uribe. Yeah, he can't hit for crap, but he's still pretty good defensively and it's not like his supporting cast (Paulie, Thome, Dye, Swisher, Cabrera, Crede... and Fields, if needed) isn't going score runs.