Random All-Star Thoughts

Rex Hudler

1. Frank deserves to make the team and will likely be asked to replace Mike Sweeney. It is getting in using the back door somewhat, but who cares. He deserves it. He should have gotten in over Carl Everett.

2. I find it interesting that Tim Hudson did not make the game, yet Keith Foulke did. Foulke has just 4 blown saves this season, but ALL FOUR were in Tim Hudson starts. Foulke ought to give Hudson half his AS bonus (guessing there is one) for making it while all but assuring that Hudson would not.

3. Dontrelle Willis will likely make the game in place of Kevin Brown. Brown has been battling a abdominal muscle injury and they can be tough to heal quickly. This is just a random thought and not backed up by any info other than what is in my head.

4. The concept of having the winning team get the home field advantage in the WS is stupid. The players aren't going to play harder because of this, considering most of them won't be playing in the WS. If the goal was to get the starters to play longer and to manage the game more to win than it has been lately, MLB could have just mandated that. They could have mandated that all players have to be in uniform until the game is complete. That no player could leave for the airport while the game is going on. That starters would play longer. That not every player has a "right" to play. Remind them that it is an honor to be selected alone.

5. Speaking of selection....... The process this year was stupid... A large percentage of the players didn't even vote. Ravech on Baseball Tonight said that at least half of the Yankees didn't cast votes. It was extremely unlcear how the process would work (selection by players and manager).

6. The only good thing they did is add two players to the roster. This lessens the painful effect of every team having a member on the squad.

7. I think the way they handled the all-star game last year was bad in that they didn't have a plan for that occurrence even though it could have happened in any of the 10 previous years. The game has been managed differently so that every player can play (remember O's fans being irate that Mussina didn't get in the game at Camden?) so a tie and extra innings were going to happen, it was just a matter of time. There was no contingency plan.

8. The fact that the game ended in a tie was no big damned deal. Every one cried and felt that the fans at the game were cheated, but they got to see two more innings than normal. Any knowledgeable fan would already be aware of how the game is played and that by playing everybody means extra innings would be trouble. Hell, I went to the AS game in Atlanta a few years ago and I have no idea who won or lost. The game is an event and the way it has been the past 10 years, it was an exhibition and winning and losing weren't a priority. If they wanted to change that, they could have without all the BS they have attached to it this year.

9. Guys I am looking forward to seeing play in an all-star game (besides the obvious)... Mark Prior, Dontrelle Willis, Carlos Delgado (he may be obvious), Alfonso Soriano (ditto Delgado), Esteban Loaiza, Jamie Moyer, Vernon Wells, Hank Blalock and Nomar. Some guys have played before and others are first-timers. The reasons for wanting to see these guys varies.

4.  The concept of having the winning team get the home field advantage in the WS is stupid.  The players aren't going to play harder because of this, considering most of them won't be playing in the WS.  If the goal was to get the starters to play longer and to manage the game more to win than it has been lately, MLB could have just mandated that.  They could have mandated that all players have to be in uniform until the game is complete.  That no player could leave for the airport while the game is going on.  That starters would play longer.  That not every player has a "right" to play.  Remind them that it is an honor to be selected alone.

5.  Speaking of selection.......  The process this year was stupid... A large percentage of the players didn't even vote.  Ravech on Baseball Tonight said that at least half of the Yankees didn't cast votes.  It was extremely unlcear how the process would work (selection by players and manager). 

6.  The only good thing they did is add two players to the roster.  This lessens the painful effect of every team having a member on the squad.

7.  I think the way they handled the all-star game last year was bad in that they didn't have a plan for that occurrence even though it could have happened in any of the 10 previous years.  The game has been managed differently so that every player can play (remember O's fans being irate that Mussina didn't get in the game at Camden?) so a tie and extra innings were going to happen, it was just a matter of time.  There was no contingency plan.

8.  The fact that the game ended in a tie was no big damned deal.  Every one cried and felt that the fans at the game were cheated, but they got to see two more innings than normal.  Any knowledgeable fan would already be aware of how the game is played and that by playing everybody means extra innings would be trouble.  Hell, I went to the AS game in Atlanta a few years ago and I have no idea who won or lost.  The game is an event and the way it has been the past 10 years, it was an exhibition and winning and losing weren't a priority.  If they wanted to change that, they could have without all the BS they have attached to it this year.

9.  Guys I am looking forward to seeing play in an all-star game (besides the obvious)... Mark Prior, Dontrelle Willis, Carlos Delgado (he may be obvious), Alfonso Soriano (ditto Delgado), Esteban Loaiza, Jamie Moyer, Vernon Wells, Hank Blalock and Nomar.  Some guys have played before and others are first-timers.  The reasons for wanting to see these guys varies.

1.  Frank deserves to make the team and will likely be asked to replace Mike Sweeney.  It is getting in using the back door somewhat, but who cares.  He deserves it.  He should have gotten in over Carl Everett.

What is wrong with Mike Sweeney? I would love to see Frank make it, but I don't think the odds are too good considering he's going up against a Yankee in Giambi. Then again Thomas does have big time name recognition. I would love to see him playing in the all star game at his home park. I was shocked that Everett got in over him. I think that tells you that the players don't have a thing against Carl and they know he plays with heart and cares about winning (Not Knocking Frank; Just bringing up this point since the media always whined about Everett, but if there was a reason to whine playesr wouldn't of cared).

3.  Dontrelle Willis will likely make the game in place of Kevin Brown.  Brown has been battling a abdominal muscle injury and they can be tough to heal quickly.  This is just a random thought and not backed up by any info other than what is in my head.

Dontrell Willis is a stud. I'd be very dissapointed if he didn't make the game. He may of arrived late to the show his season, but his numbers are deservant of an all star birth. I agree, he'd be a good replacement for Brown.

Rex, I completely agree with you that the tie didn't mean much. It was still a very exciting all star game and speaking for myself I really don't care who wins all that much, but I'm not a big national league or american league backer, I'm just a baseball backer. Also this whole All Star game meaning stuff is crap.

To add another point, I am confused at why Lance Carter is being selected from Tampa Bay. I can name 3 Tampa players more deserving of an All-Star appearance Al Levine, Rocco Baldelli and Aubrey Huff. I can understand Huff and Rocco not being included due to too many better offensive players in the Al but I do not understand Al Levine being left out. I guess saves are an attractive stat for Sciosia.

To add another point, I am confused at why Lance Carter is being selected from Tampa Bay.  I can name 3 Tampa players more deserving of an All-Star appearance Al Levine, Rocco Baldelli and Aubrey Huff.  I can understand Huff and Rocco not being included due to too many better offensive players in the Al but I do not understand Al Levine being left out.  I guess saves are an attractive stat for Sciosia.

Closer vs. reliever, I guess. You're right, Levine's #'s are better.

To add another point, I am confused at why Lance Carter is being selected from Tampa Bay.  I can name 3 Tampa players more deserving of an All-Star appearance Al Levine, Rocco Baldelli and Aubrey Huff.  I can understand Huff and Rocco not being included due to too many better offensive players in the Al but I do not understand Al Levine being left out.  I guess saves are an attractive stat for Sciosia.

For that matter,Eddie Guardado, Mike Williams(hell Jeff Suppan could have gone?) he's doing as well as Wood I think. Yeah Jasosn's right I like Zambrano myself, that game against the Yankmees was very well done. He's really come around since. 4-1, 1.98 in last 50IP.

Anybody have Shigetoshi Hawegawa's numbers handy? Kind of disappointed he made it over Damaso.

Then again, "Everybody hits" Eddie Guardado definately did NOT deserve to make it. Corey Koskie or AJ the asshole Pierzynski would have been better then Guardado. Guardado has gotten lit up like a candle this year. No one deserves to go to the All-Star game if you give up a homer to Paul Konerko anyways.

Man that game was fun.

Also....Everett getting in over Frank is BS. Frank has better numbers. And I don't see Harold Reynolds love fest with Roger Clemens getting to play in the All-Star game. He's 8-6 with a 3.75 ERA....good numbers, but not All-Star worthy numbers. I don't care if he won his 300th game or if it is his last year. He does not deserve to be there with those numbers. I wouldn't be opposed to him being there as a guest to just sit in the dugout, but come on....jeezus.

also hasegawa is a former angel.

but yeh how does lance carter (5-3 4.17 era) make it over aubrey huff (.307 16 HR 49 RBI .914 OPS, tied for the league lead in doubles)?? the disparity is so great, scoscia should have found a way to get huff on the team instead of carter.

also hasegawa is a former angel.

but yeh how does lance carter (5-3 4.17 era) make it over aubrey huff (.307 16 HR 49 RBI .914 OPS, tied for the league lead in doubles)?? the disparity is so great, scoscia should have found a way to get huff on the team instead of carter.

Careful what you ask for. If Huff makes the team, the chances of Frank making it are even more slim.

I gotta admit that it will be very exciting to see all these first-timer All Stars. I heard somewhere that there were 26 first-timers.

I'm one of the few that actually doesnt mind the at least one player per team thing. One thing that I think they should do is ditch the mandated pitching and hitting roster numbers and let the manager decide how many pitchers and hitters will be on the roster.

And the obvious BS selections: Mike Williams (Giles), Benitez (Burnitz), Dusty taking Wood over Willis, Carter (Rocco or Huff). I'm sure theres some more but its too late to think right now.