Blast from the Past

chosk8

The Cleveland Indians traded P Aaron Myette to the Philadelphia Phillies for OF Lyle Mouton.

Lyle Mouton - easily one of my favorite names for announcer Gene Honda to say at the ballyard.

The White Sox traded Aaron Myette and Brian Schmack to the Texas Rangers for Royce Clayton.

If memory servers me correctly, Mouton was acquired in the Jack McDowell trade to the Yankees.

I have one fond memory of Lyle Mouton.

In I think 1996, Texas started out 8-0. I got home from school in time to tune into the game at around the 7th inning. I watched the game from that point on(then being mainly a Frank Thomas fan over a White Sox fan). The score after 9 was 5-5, and I remember it staying that way until the bottom of the 11th. The Sox put 2 men on, and Lyle Mouton came up. If memory serves correct(and it may not since I was in like 2nd grade then) he hit one way out into right-center field....and it was a blast. It had to have been 425 or 450 feet.

The Cleveland Indians traded P Aaron Myette to the Philadelphia Phillies for OF Lyle Mouton.

Lyle Mouton - easily one of my favorite names for announcer Gene Honda to say at the ballyard.

The White Sox traded Aaron Myette and Brian Schmack to the Texas Rangers for Royce Clayton.

If memory servers me correctly, Mouton was acquired in the Jack McDowell trade to the Yankees.

Both former Barons as well.....

Lyle Mouton and Aaron Myette. The ESPN Classic Baseball game that aired last week from 1997 Orioles-Sox game featured Lyle. He had 3 or 4 hits that game and his hit in the 10th won the game. He had the tools I think, but never really put it together. Myette was another one of those Sox potentials from the minors that just never blossomed.

He hit one of the longest home runs I have ever seen at the College World Series years back when he was at LSU. Back when Rosenblatt had the scoreboard was in leftfield, he hit the ball over the scoreboard and the ball looked like it was still on it's way up. I thought when he and Big Frank batted next to each other in the order, that had to be intimidating to opposing pitchers. Those are 2 very big men.