Shelby & Retherford - Carolina League All Stars

scenario

http://www.warthogs.com/content/News/items...7_11-55-42?c=on

8/27/2008

WINSTON-SALEM, NC – Winston-Salem Warthogs outfielder John Shelby III and third baseman C.J. Retherford were recently named to the Carolina League Postseason All-Star team. The selection committee consisted of general managers, media and field staffs from around the league.

Selected by the Chicago White Sox in the fifth round of the 2006 draft, Shelby III has been a dominating fixture in the Warthogs lineup. He paces Winston-Salem with a .297 batting average, 76 RBI and 32 stolen bases. The former Kentucky Wildcats has added 15 home runs, 35 doubles and 7 triples, which puts him third in the league with 57 extra-base hits.

Retherford was signed as a free agent out of Arizona State and has been the cornerstone of the Warthogs defense at third base. He leads the team with 16 home runs while hitting .292 and knocking in 68 runs. In his team-high 124 games played, Retherford has added 27 doubles while stealing 11 bases and scoring 62 runs.

Both players have played a prominent role in the Warthogs recent playoff push with their exceptional play in the final month of the season. Shelby III is hitting .354 with 5 home runs and 19 RBI in the month of August. He has also added 10 doubles, 4 triples and is a perfect 10-for-10 in stolen bases. Retherford has contributed 16 RBI and a home run with a .333 batting average in August. He has also walked 12 times which has aided his .417 on-base percentage.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 07:21 PM)
Too bad there's really no spot for Shelby until JD is gone.

I'm not too familiar with his glove/height/weight, otherwise I might say he could be our CF'er next year if we get rid of Konerko.

Too quick. I think he'll have 2 more years in the minors before we see him in Chicago.

He could be part of the youth movement with Danks and Beckham though.

They'll probably all be coming up pretty close to the same time.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
Too quick. I think he'll have 2 more years in the minors before we see him in Chicago.

He could be part of the youth movement with Danks and Beckham though.

They'll probably all be coming up pretty close to the same time.

So then, Danks in CF and Shelby in RF?

Then Beckham at SS/2B and Alexei at SS/2B (or Beckham or Ramirez at 3B and then make Getz the 2B).

Quentin in LF.

Swisher at 1B.

Who knows at C and 3B?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
The Sox, unless something terrible happens, should be playoff contendors next season. You really would be ok with Shelby, an OF that has never seen AA, to start in CF for the MLB club under any circumstance?

Again, I have never seen Shelby play. I have no idea how pro-ready he may be, so it was a question, but it was more of a question to get a scouting report out of someone.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
I think Quentin will end up moving to RF and so Shelby would be in left.

I forgot about the rumors that Q is a "really good" defensive RF'er.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Again, I have never seen Shelby play. I have no idea how pro-ready he may be, so it was a question, but it was more of a question to get a scouting report out of someone.

I forgot about the rumors that Q is a "really good" defensive RF'er.

Q's an above average LF'er i don't know about putting him in right. i'd like to see Q in left, Shelby in center and danks in right