9th inning, today.

CWSOX45

I have a question for y'all. It's a 3-1 count to Daubach, why wouldn't you run Maggs and tell Daubach to take the pitch? The last thing Detroit wants is to throw it down to second because of the chance that the ball may get past and end up in centerfield, and letting Rowand score.

However, Maggs didn't steal to get into scoring position and was easily doubled off on the great play by Pena, or was Maggs running in the first place anyway?? Is that why he was doubled off? Someone want to help me on this one?

CWSOX45

maggs was not going on the play but he didnt quite know what do when the ball was hit and was caught leaning and pena dove caught it and then got his hand to the bag before maggs could get back

Yeah, I still don't know why Manuel didn't tell Maggs to go. Most teams in the same situation today would have had Maggs into second before a 3-1 count to Daubach.

CWSOX45

Yeah, I still don't know why Manuel didn't tell Maggs to go. Most teams in the same situation today would have had Maggs into second before a 3-1 count to Daubach.

CWSOX45

ROTFLMAO!! You don't know why JM didn't tell Maggs to do something...?? :huh:

Likely cause he was sleeping. ;)

CWSOX45

Yeah you're right. I've seen so many times do it to us when the game is on the line, how come we don't?

CWSOX45

When all you need is a flyball to tie the game, why would you have Daubach give up a strike when it is 3-1. He hit it hard, it was just unlucky it was at Pena.

Yeah but why not move that second runner into scoring position? I've seen it all the time this year when Botch is pitching. Runners on 1st and 3rd, after that first pitch the guy from first is standing at second base.

I'm not blaming Daubach for our lost today, I'm just wondering why Manuel didn't move Ordonez to second. Even if there was a fly ball all Graffanino has to do is get a hit to score the go ahead run.

CWSOX45

When all you need is a flyball to tie the game, why would you have Daubach give up a strike when it is 3-1. He hit it hard, it was just unlucky it was at Pena.

That's it in a nutshell. Daubach hit it on the nose and a great dive caught it. Unlucky play. We could have been ahead by 2-1 if it had gone through. However, when the count was 2-0 or 2-1 I could see a steal of 2nd base with BD not swinging at the pitch just to stay out of the DP, but heh it didn't happen. I guess there are lots of things that could have been called, done or not done.

Guest wsc425
maggs was not going on the play but he didnt quite know what do when the ball was hit and was caught leaning and pena dove caught it and then got his hand to the bag before maggs could get back

AsshatSoxFan,

I do not understand ur sig. Can you explain it please?

CWSOX45

Yeah you're right. I've seen so many times do it to us when the game is on the line, how come we don't?

CWSOX45

Don't forget the fact that Manuel couldn't manage a box of peanuts and the MLB players voted JM third worst manager for a reason..... :rolleyes:

Sending Maggs would have been a bad baseball move. There are too many ways to score from 3rd with one out to move a runner with average speed. Especially on a 3-1 count. That's a hitters count.

The right move there was exactly what was done. Everything worked except that the line drive was caught. Sometimes in baseball you just don't have luck on your side.

If Maggs gets thrown out at 2B on a steal attempt or Rowand gets thrown out at home trying to advance on the throw down, it is viewed as a stupid move. There is no reason to take the bat out of Daubach's hands in that situation.

The real issue was why the Sox didn't score before that time.

Sending Maggs would have been a bad baseball move.  There are too many ways to score from 3rd with one out to move a runner with average speed.  Especially on a 3-1 count.  That's a hitters count.

The right move there was exactly what was done.  Everything worked except that the line drive was caught.  Sometimes in baseball  you just don't have luck on your side. 

If Maggs gets thrown out at 2B on a steal attempt or Rowand gets thrown out at home trying to advance on the throw down, it is viewed as a stupid move.  There is no reason to take the bat out of Daubach's hands in that situation. 

The real issue was why the Sox didn't score before that time.

Thank you!

If Maggs gets thrown out and then Dauber hits a long fly ball to end the game, JM would be taking a beating today.

Everyone relax, the right decisions were made in the 9th inning yesterday. The real problem, like Rex said, is why the hell didn't they score in the first 8 innings against a sub par pitcher and a sub par team.

I have a question for y'all. It's a 3-1 count to Daubach, why wouldn't you run Maggs and tell Daubach to take the pitch? The last thing Detroit wants is to throw it down to second because of the chance that the ball may get past and end up in centerfield, and letting Rowand score.

However, Maggs didn't steal to get into scoring position and was easily doubled off on the great play by Pena, or was Maggs running in the first place anyway?? Is that why he was doubled off? Someone want to help me on this one?

CWSOX45

Because a Sac fly ties the game. If maggs gets thrown out, that can't happen anymore. You don't run yourself into an out, you tie the game before you think about winning it.

CWSOX45

Because a Sac fly ties the game. If maggs gets thrown out, that can't happen anymore. You don't run yourself into an out, you tie the game before you think about winning it.

Than again don't you always go for the win on the road? Detroit wouldn't risk throwing the ball down to second, if they did it has a chance of going into center. It's been done plenty of times before, I gurantee you Meares wasn't even thinking about Maggs at first base.

CWSOX45

I think that if the Sox were on a roll, and maybe won 4 of the last 5, you leave Mags at first and hope BD can tie it up somehow. However, given the fact that they've lost 5 of 6 with virtually no offense, I would think you go ahead and take a shot at stealing second. With the propensity the Sox have shown for hitting into DP's, what do they have to lose?

CWSOX45

Than again don't you always go for the win on the road? Detroit wouldn't risk throwing the ball down to second, if they did it has a chance of going into center. It's been done plenty of times before, I gurantee you Meares wasn't even thinking about Maggs at first base.

CWSOX45

That age old adage sucks

And when you team has scored 3 runs in 2 games and 8 innings against the Tigers, there is no way in hell you can play for 2 runs before you play for one just to tie the game. It's not smart baseball. If that's the case, if you get the leadoff man on, instead of bunting him over, leave him on first and hope for the 2 run homer because you are "playing for the win"

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

They'd definitely throw to 2nd...this isn't little league where you automatically score from 3rd on the 1st and 3rd play, so they don't throw...

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

It may happen with a different base runner, but it is still not a good baseball move.

No need to second guess the right move, just because of bad luck.