Cuban - US Relations

Cubano

The Revolution is dead. 80 % of the cubans want out. That system does not work. It is broken. Not only baseball players are defecting, but also basketball, handball, volleyball, track and field, judo, boxers, soccer, etc players are leaving for Europe, USA and Latin America countries. There is even a track and field woman that left for Sudan. Yes, that is right SUDAN, one of the last place on earth to live.

The regular cubans like me are trying to leave too. I am glad I took the first opportunity and packed. Thank USA for being so kind to me and my fellow cubans.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
The regular cubans like me are trying to leave too. I am glad I took the first opportunity and packed. Thank USA for being so kind to me and my fellow cubans.

It has helped that the Cuban population that has immigrated has been smaller, less geographically diverse, better educated, and with better marketing than Mexico. It is interesting we do not mind a Spanish speaking Cuban Doctor immigrating, but he damn better hire an Anglo gardener instead of a Mexican. :lol: We want those jobs.

Texsox:

I can infer you like politics. I do not want to get ban here.

The reason mexicans are targeted are various. One is the great numbers of mexicans that come to the USA. At the beginning of the cuban wave in the early 60's and 70's, the Jews and white americans in South Florida saw it as a bad thing. I bet you that if 10 million cubans enter Mexico now and live in the same area in Mexico many mexicans will protest.

Another reason mexicans are targeted is because the gangs and drug issues in Mexico. Colombia is far away from the USA and we do not have many colombians coming to the USA. However, Mexico is next to the USA. Many mexicans are hard workers, but many also come and create problems in the USA. Then, all mexicans pay the price. Every week you read something bad about mexicans mafia in Mexico and americans do not want the same thing hapen in here.

Another thing is that the most visible mexicans are the ones working in construction, lawn movers, etc. These guys usually travel together before and after jobs. Everytime you see many men together people think gang, trouble, first.

In addition, USA-Mexico history has been a rocky one.

Americans also do not mind peolple from Asia such as Korea, India, etc.

One thing I never understood about mexicans is the following. You guys take issues with USA immigration policies against mexicans. However, Mexico immigration policies are the same or worst for Hondurans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, etc. Cubans usually can get by Mexico on their way to the USA, but you guys put us in jail many times unders not so good conditions.

Every country has the right to control who enters their country. Mexico has the right to control immigration as well as the USA. Shame on the cubans for allowing Castro to gain power. I am not blaming only the cubans for Castro because the USA also has some blame in here.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
Texsox:

You won't get banned. This is actually a really good topic for the Filibuster, although I can't recall ever seeing you post outside Pale Hose Talk.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
You won't get banned. This is actually a really good topic for the Filibuster, although I can't recall ever seeing you post outside Pale Hose Talk.

Where is Filibuster?

I rather stay on Pale House than exploring other threads.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Where is Filibuster?

I rather stay on Pale House than exploring other threads.

From Soxtalk main page, scroll down to SLaM, the Filibuster is a subforum in there. That's where we talk politics in depth.

I noticed before that you're pretty sharp on financial issues too, there's a lot of really smart finance guys in there. Sometimes they talk over my head though and I have no clue what they're saying.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Texsox:

The reason mexicans are targeted are various. One is the great numbers of mexicans that come to the USA. At the beginning of the cuban wave in the early 60's and 70's, the Jews and white americans in South Florida saw it as a bad thing. I bet you that if 10 million cubans enter Mexico now and live in the same area in Mexico many mexicans will protest.

Another reason mexicans are targeted is because the gangs and drug issues in Mexico. Colombia is far away from the USA and we do not have many colombians coming to the USA. However, Mexico is next to the USA. Many mexicans are hard workers, but many also come and create problems in the USA. Then, all mexicans pay the price. Every week you read something bad about mexicans mafia in Mexico and americans do not want the same thing hapen in here.

Another thing is that the most visible mexicans are the ones working in construction, lawn movers, etc. These guys usually travel together before and after jobs. Everytime you see many men together people think gang, trouble, first.

In addition, USA-Mexico history has been a rocky one.

Americans also do not mind peolple from Asia such as Korea, India, etc.

One thing I never understood about mexicans is the following. You guys take issues with USA immigration policies against mexicans. However, Mexico immigration policies are the same or worst for Hondurans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, etc. Cubans usually can get by Mexico on their way to the USA, but you guys put us in jail many times unders not so good conditions.

Every country has the right to control who enters their country. Mexico has the right to control immigration as well as the USA. Shame on the cubans for allowing Castro to gain power. I am not blaming only the cubans for Castro because the USA also has some blame in here.

Couple areas I disagree.

The US has had a couple hundred years of the longest unguarded, peaceful borders, in the world. The relationship is far from rocky.

Every country has different immigration needs. Even if Mexico allowed unlimited immigration for Americans, it would not be a valid reason for the US to allow unlimited Mexican immigration. I do not believe comparing the two is a valid tool. What works for America and is in America's best interest is what is important, not some other countries laws. I don't know if Cuba accepts every immigrant who touches their shore, not do I care. We accept every Cuban defector who reaches the beach because it is the right thing to do and overall good for America.

We have issues with every non English speaking immigrant. The better educated immigrants almost always speak English, or have the capacity to quickly learn. That is why we accept an immigrant taking a $100,000 position, then go crazy when he hires a Spanish speaking maid, taking that job from a deserving American. What makes Mexico unique is the people can walk across. A very primitive technique that has occurred since the dawn of man. Other countries you mentioned require greater travel and greater expense, again helping to self select who is here. Once here, Mexicans find private American businesses competing for their business in that great American ideal of free enterprise. These American businesses roll our the "alfombra roja" to these customers. Further, they find a large population of ex-pats who also speak Spanish. The need to speak Spanish is small, and too many never learn.

We should probably move this to the filibuster. I enjoy reading your posts on all subjects and look forward to hearing what you have to say about Cuban - US relationships.