Playing GM over the all star break

southsider2k5

If everyone could play GM for a day, what would people do to prepare for the 2nd half?

First. I would stick Frank at 1B for 5 days a week, getting Pauly and Daubach work the other two days, and at DH. Frank is hitting .236 in 208 AB's as a DH with 12 HRs and 26 RBI (OPS846). In 91 AB's as a 1B he is hitting .352 with 8 HR and 22 RBI.(OPS1.212). Why is this even a question?

Second. I didn't like the Everett trade at all. It weakens us in CF big time. Plus he hasn't been hitting worth a damn anyway. Aaron Rowand is my starting CF, with Everett playing DH as a starter, and getting occasional time in LF, and CF as a back up for Rowand and Lee offdays.

Third. Catcher. IMO Olivo has been playing too much and he is suffering because of it. Get Sandy out there 3 times a week, and Miguel 4 times. Miguel was hitting just fine when this arrangement was being used early in the season, then after Sandy got hurt and Miguel was catching 6 or 7 days a week is when he started downhill. Lighten the load on the kid.

Fourth. Get Sanders and espesially Glover regular work. Glover was good in the first month of the season when he was pitching every few days. He also was an excellent set up man when used in that role over the past few years. Don't let the kid rot. With Sanders we have no idea if this kid can pitch or not. Test him and see if he can handle it. With Kelly hurt we need another lefty and if Dave can't handle it, call up someone else (Munoz or Cotts or someone!)

Fifth. Tom Gordon is my closer. Billy Koch either needs to go on the DL, or into middle relief until he finds what he lost. We can't afford to lose games cheaply. Plus Gordon's arm has just been electric this year. Use him while he is still healthy.

Sixth. 5th starter. Obviously Dan Wright is not right, right now. Give Porzio a few starts and if he can give us a 4.50 to 4.75 era and some consistancy that is fine with me for a 5th starter. If not, if Rauch is healthy give him a shot. I DO NOT want to see Neal Cotts up here yet, until his BB #'s come down.

Well that is good for now. I am curious to see what everyone else thinks.

I only have one problem with your ideas......

They are things that the Manager should do, not the GM (with the exception of deciding who replaces Porzio if needed).

Other than that, I think you have some good ideas.

OK how about playing Manager for a day :)

I only have one problem with your ideas......

They are things that the Manager should do, not the GM (with the exception of deciding who replaces Porzio if needed).

Other than that, I think you have some good ideas.

OK how about playing Manager for a day :)

Well done