Poll: MLB's Best

Marky Mark

You're a GM. If you could take one player in baseball and put him on your team, who would it be? Salary is not a factor either.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Base it on current ability as well as future performance, who would you want on your team? You want this player to help you win the world series this year, yet you want to build your club around him for the future. If the player you want is not in one of the polls, don't vote in that poll.

• C Joe Mauer-25
    • C Brian McCann-24
    • C Matt Wieters-22
    • 1B Adrian Gonzalez-26
    • 1B Justin Morneau-27
    • 1B Ryan Howard-29
    • 1B Albert Pujols-29
    • 1B/3B Miguel Cabrera-25
    • 2B Chase Utley-30
    • No one from this list
  2. 2. Or one of these players? If he's not in here, don't vote in this poll.

• SS Jose Reyes-25
    • SS Hanley Ramirez-25
    • 3B David Wright-26
    • 3B Evan Longoria-23
    • 3B Alex Rodriguez-33
    • LF/3B Ryan Braun-25
    • LF Matt Holliday-29
    • CF Grady Sizemore-26
    • CF BJ Upton-24
    • no one from this list
  3. 3. Or one of these players, if he's not in this poll, don't vote here.

• RHSP Roy Halladay-31
    • RHSP Dan Haren-28
    • RHSP Tim Lincecum-24
    • RHSP Brandon Webb-29
    • LHSP Johan Santana-29
    • LHSP C.C. Sabathia-28
    • LHSP David Price-23
    • LHSP Cole Hamels-25
    • RHRP Francisco Rodriguez-27
    • no one from this list

Honestly, I'd have to go with Grady Sizemore. He has everything and no one spells 5 tool better than him. At 26 years old he still has tons of time to get better and compete at an MVP level. He'd get more attention if he didn't hit leadoff. Putting him in the 3rd spot would reveal to many how good of a player he truly is.

Edited by Markbilliards

salary being neutral...pujols still has at least 4 MVP calibur seasons in him IMO...the guys a freak...his numbers are on an entire different level than anyone elses right now IMO...I don't think you can necessarily look at any one other player and say almost for sure that he will be a top 3 MVP candidate for 4+ years in the future....even though hes 29, i still think you can say that about fat albert

I can't see a good reasoning to pick any of the pitchers. I know they're great, but they are all either too old or not proven yet. Thank god I'm not a GM. I picked Utley simply because I see him play every game and he's a monster out there, especially for his position. I was torn between him and Longoria... I'd like to see a 2nd season with Longoria before I anoint him king.

QUOTE (philadelphia sox fan @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
I can't see a good reasoning to pick any of the pitchers. I know they're great, but they are all either too old or not proven yet. Thank god I'm not a GM. I picked Utley simply because I see him play every game and he's a monster out there, especially for his position. I was torn between him and Longoria... I'd like to see a 2nd season with Longoria before I anoint him king.

Utley is a good pick only because he's much, much, much better than anyone else at his position. For everyone else, there are comparables, even Pujols -- people who could do less with the bat, perhaps, but more defensively, or who are better overall players than someone at that specific position (there are better shortstops than Hanley Ramirez, for instance, because of his weak defense). But I don't really buy the positional comparison in this. I think Pujols is obviously the best player in baseball.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
I don't expect everyday people to be nicknamed "hammerin'" , "the Yankee Clipper" or "The Sultan of Swat". So I really don't see your point.

Who has a point? I'm just having fun.

A.J. "Miller Time" Barthold.

Jeremy "Do The Dew" Kelly

:D

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Who has a point? I'm just having fun.

A.J. "Miller Time" Barthold.

Jeremy "Do The Dew" Kelly

:D

I don't really like Miller. That's usually the default choice at sox games though. I'm usually too lazy to make a trip to the beers around the world stand. :gosox3:

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Honestly, I'd have to go with Grady Sizemore. He has everything and no one spells 5 tool better than him. At 26 years old he still has tons of time to get better and compete at an MVP level. He'd get more attention if he didn't hit leadoff. Putting him in the 3rd spot would reveal to many how good of a player he truly is.

hes good but i dont see how u can say hes better than pujols. late in the game, game on the line, i dont see how u rather face pujols than sizemore. pujols is elite. sizemore is great, a stud, superstar, whatever u want to call him, but not exactly elite.

i think its funny no one chose arod lol

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (philadelphia sox fan @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
I can't see a good reasoning to pick any of the pitchers. I know they're great, but they are all either too old or not proven yet.

Lincecum is 24 and he has a Cy Young. Cole Hamels is 25 and he's had 3 great seasons since coming up. Johan Santana is 29, and I've never heard of 29 being old. Sabathia is 28 but he's fat so I really can't count him due to potential arm problems. Dan Haren is also a pretty fantastic pitcher in his own rights, but for whatever reason, I've never considered anything more than a #2.

Even considering the park he pitches in, it's a huge wonder as to why Jake Peavy isn't on this list over a guy like David Price who has thrown like 20 innings in the majors. Peavy has an ERA of less than 3 in 4 of the last 5 years he's pitched.

I'm also wondering why Rodriguez is on the list of pitchers...he's probably not even the best closer on his own team, let alone the league. I could definitely name 7 or more closers I'd rather have than Francisco Rodriguez. Dude just got whored out this year when he broke Thigpen's record.

If Adrian Gonzalez didn't play at Petco he'd be so much better. Probably not in the top 3 because he doesn't have some other important baseball tools, but he'd still be so much greater than he seems right now. I think his career OPS playing in away games is remarkably better than the home games.