Morrissey game column...

caulfield12

I had a lot of respect for Hillman because he actually acknowledged the importance of OBP. Sadly, he has no idea how to apply it, and his GM has no idea how to obtain it. Hillman's bullpen use is incredibly shaky, they have the best young closer in the league, and they underuse him, leaving way too much room for the Farnsworth's of the world to blow whatever lead they have.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,1201846.column

By the way, why in God's name wouldn't you use Mahay or even Juan Cruz in that situation against Thome?

There's no way that Farnsworth is a better pitcher at this point in his career than Cruz...Kyle always seems to implode (very conveniently) against the White Sox.

haven't we talked about this in like 3 or 4 threads already? i know it's opening day and we're excited... but man.

The Royals are an interesting case study...they have a lot of "good" players like DeJesus, Teahen, Crisp, etc. Then there's Jacobs (.296 OBP last year), Guillen (another low OBP) and Olivo/Buck (more low OBP). They have some pieces in DeJesus and Crisp at the top of the order, but there's no way that Teahen is a legit 3 hitter on a playoff caliber team. I'll give more credit for improving the team and making it more and more competitive up and down the order, but they still need another year and development from Hochevar, Moustakas, Hosmer and Cortes.

It still really comes down to Gordon and Butler becoming legit stars and both hitting 25-35 homers.

I never understood the logic of spending that money on Farnsworth. I think it was one of the silliest signings of the offseason. Juan Cruz, I get that one...but not overpaying for a washed up/declining reliever that almost always collapses when he has the lead. He makes Dotel look like a sure thing in comparison. And I can't say that I understand Willie Bloomquist either.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,6110080.column

Column on the enigma known as Kyle Farnsworth.

Edited by caulfield12