Levine: Sox Could Reconsider Beckham Timetable

DaveBrown85

QUOTE (G&T @ May 23, 2009 -> 05:54 AM)
White Sox may have plans for Gordon Beckham

The White Sox's first-round pick in 2008, Gordon Beckham, was not among the names mentioned in the trade for Padres pitcher Jake Peavy, and part of the reason is that the Sox may have plans for him sooner than expected.

The reason he was not among the names is that he can't be traded until after the June draft. Duh.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ May 23, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
The reason he was not among the names is that he can't be traded until after the June draft. Duh.

There were reports that the Sox consider Beckham "untouchable" and would not trade him for Peavy straight up. Also, there were reports that Beckham was NOT in the trade package (one source of this was Gammons). I think it is pretty safe to assume that Beckham would not be going to SD for Peavy, though we clearly can't be 100% sure.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:00 AM)
They probably meant that the Sox would promote Beckham to Charlotte and move him to 3B, with Viciedo staying at 3B for the Barons.

Just a thought....too early for anyone to think about moving him off SS or where he will end up in the majors in 2010 until we watch the major league team for at least another 4-6 weeks.

Where does that leave Viciedo in the scheme of things?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
We can say that Viciedo obviously needs two more years based on his first seven weeks ever playing in the US?

Well, we also could have said Alexei Ramirez needs to go to the minors twice...and we probably would have been wrong twice.

I would say so. His defense is really really raw. He can't just switch to OF in the majors, he will have to learn that in the minors. His O is still very raw, too. Bad K/BB ratio, limited power right now even though the potential is great. Let's not forget Alexei was 26 last year IIRC and Dayan is 20. Huge difference in development. If he makes it to the majors at 23, I would say that is very solid, especially since we control him for awhile.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 23, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I would say so. His defense is really really raw. He can't just switch to OF in the majors, he will have to learn that in the minors. His O is still very raw, too. Bad K/BB ratio, limited power right now even though the potential is great. Let's not forget Alexei was 26 last year IIRC and Dayan is 20. Huge difference in development. If he makes it to the majors at 23, I would say that is very solid, especially since we control him for awhile.

Well, in that case, I think Beckham would struggle anywhere from quite a bit to a lot on the defensive side of things if he played SS. He's only 2 behind Viciedo with 7 errors already.

2B would probably be THE best position for him, although it seems the organization/KW/Buddy Bell will try him at 3B before they give up on Getz...or even start thinking of him (Getz) as merely a utility player, which is what was the projection by quite a few scouts when he was drafted.

There's definitely a lot more patience with Getz. You get the feeling that the move to 3B the other night was the dawning realization that Fields can't hit or field the position, Betemit definitely can't field it or hit lefties and Nix might not be able to hit enough or consistently.

From Ozzie's comments in the post-game, he seems to be confident enough in Alexei to say he will be the starting SS going forward and that the opening would be more likely at 2B or 3B for the immediate future.

Edited by caulfield12