More on the Kobe issue

Steff

Here's the charge.

Level 3 - Aggravated Sexual Assault

It is a crime if, while committing a sexual assault, the attacker wounds, maims, disfigures, or brutally beats the victim

endangers the life of the victim.

For a level 3 assault evidence of violence must be present. If not then it would be level 1. Level one means any type of sexual conduct (kissing, touching, fondeling etc.) that is non-consensual.

As you can see.. it doesn't have to include any type of genitalia contact to be charged as sexual assult.

CK.. any idea if these are federal levels, or just instituted at the state level?

That definition seems AWFULLY broad. How do they define "wounds"? Is a scratch on the arm considered a "wound"? How about a broken finger? It would seem to me that the "wound" would have to be quite severe, since it's mentioned in the same breath as "maim", "brutally beat", and "endangers the life of the victim".

Forensics can usually tell (as far as I know) what bruises, scratches etc were caused by what and approxiamitely when.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1
So IN THEORY, a girl could have sex with a guy, hit herself in the leg with a bat, cry rape, and then the guy could be charged with 3rd degree sexual assault? :huh:

with todays forensics(sp? you know what i mean) there are ways to tell where the wound came from.. and how..........kinda hard to self inflict these days and it not come out proven as such if you have a good defense team......

So IN THEORY, a girl could have sex with a guy, hit herself in the leg with a bat, cry rape, and then the guy could be charged with 3rd degree sexual assault? :huh:

Sure she could. But forensic analysis of her broken leg would reveal the damage to be self-inflicted. Forensics is really a wonderful thing. Blood-splatter, blood-pooling, insect larvae..... there are so many ways a good crime scene investigator can strengthen or weaken a criminal case. A leg would break a different way if someone hit her as opposed to her hitting herself. Of course she could have an accomplice hit her, but the bat would be taken into evidence and, more than likely, she'd have to answer up to police as to why the accused fingerprints aren't on it.

Sure she could. But forensic analysis of her broken leg would reveal the damage to be self-inflicted. Forensics is really a wonderful thing. Blood-splatter, blood-pooling, insect larvae..... there are so many ways a good crime scene investigator can strengthen or weaken a criminal case. A leg would break a different way if someone hit her as opposed to her hitting herself. Of course she could have an accomplice hit her, but the bat would be taken into evidence and, more than likely, she'd have to answer up to police as to why the accused fingerprints aren't on it.

Thank you again for your intelligent and lucid comments.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Dude rape requires penentration.  So you would have to put your pecker or something else in her, for it to be rape.

well if he used his tounge could it be considered rape???? that is using something to penetrate her with isnt it?????? just a thought..... ;) :o

well if he used his tounge could it be considered rape???? that is using something to penetrate her with isnt it?????? just a thought..... ;)  :o

not it has to be a pecker of object, i dont think the tongue counts. Besides it would be pretty difficult to force your tongue in there and hold her down at the same time.............. ;) :huh:

Guest hotsoxchick1
not it has to be a pecker of object, i dont think the tongue counts. Besides it would be pretty difficult to force your tongue in there and hold her down at the same time.............. ;)  :huh:

geez i should have put that in green .. i was answering to his level..........lol..........btw answer your IM ok.. im home now.........what did ya want to talk about??????

couple interesting things i heard tonight...

1) dunno if this was mentioned somewhere before, but apparently the drug the girl OD'd on was tylenol PM.

2) the DA didn't even know about the OD when he made the decision to charge bryant. he said he wasn't even aware of it as recently as a few days ago.

3) when they do finally get around to looking at it, the prosecution will file a motion to get the whole incident thrown out (obviously), meaning the defense can't bring up the OD. however, it is not automatic as far as getting it thrown out. IF (and it's a big if) the defense can bring it up, the fact that she took tylenol PM and not something illegal could mean she didn't want to kill herself, but just wanted attention, which makes her look bad in this situation.

3) a few days after the OD, she did speak at her friend's funeral, even sang at it. that shows character, i think.

4) one of her friends (are they getting paid, or are they just chatty?) told the press that the girl doesn't want a dime from bryant, just to see him in prison.

the opinions expressed in this blurb are not necessarily the opinions of me.

1) dunno if this was mentioned somewhere before, but apparently the drug the girl OD'd on was tylenol PM.

2) the DA didn't even know about the OD when he made the decision to charge bryant. he said he wasn't even aware of it as recently as a few days ago.

3) when they do finally get around to looking at it, the prosecution will file a motion to get the whole incident thrown out (obviously), meaning the defense can't bring up the OD. however, it is not automatic as far as getting it thrown out. IF (and it's a big if) the defense can bring it up, the fact that she took tylenol PM and not something illegal could mean she didn't want to kill herself, but just wanted attention, which makes her look bad in this situation.

3) a few days after the OD, she did speak at her friend's funeral, even sang at it. that shows character, i think.

4) one of her friends (are they getting paid, or are they just chatty?) told the press that the girl doesn't want a dime from bryant, just to see him in prison.

I dont know many 19 year old girls/women who dont want attention. ODing on tylenol pm looks pretty shady. I hope i am wrong and its not allowed.

As for #3, she looks very bad regardless of her intentions. Either she was trying to kill herself, which obviously shows she is mentally screwed up, or she was looking for attention, which would crush her credibility (she could just be looking for attention again) and also means she's mentally screwed up.

This revelation was probably the most damning thing that could have happened to the prosecution.

As for #3, she looks very bad regardless of her intentions.  Either she was trying to kill herself, which obviously shows she is mentally screwed up, or she was looking for attention, which would crush her credibility (she could just be looking for attention again) and also means she's mentally screwed up.

This revelation was probably the most damning thing that could have happened to the prosecution.

And despite Cwsox expertise in this matter, it will be allowed.

And as far as it being admissible in court, of course it will be. The Rape Shield Law or whatever it's called, as I understand it, covers only previous sexual information. Stuff like possible attempted suicides will come up in the "character witness" segment of the trial. Kobe will have people testify as to how nice and great a guy he is, while the defense will look for guys that have maybe seen Kobe do weird s*** in the past (although, with him being an NBA player, don't look for anything but positive feedback from any potential NBA player witness). Conversely, with this chick, the prosecution will look for witnesses that have nothing but good things to say about her, while Kobe's camp will try to do the opposite.

And as far as it being admissible in court, of course it will be.  The Rape Shield Law or whatever it's called, as I understand it, covers only previous sexual information.  Stuff like possible attempted suicides will come up in the "character witness" segment of the trial.  Kobe will have people testify as to how nice and great a guy he is, while the defense will look for guys that have maybe seen Kobe do weird s*** in the past (although, with him being an NBA player, don't look for anything but positive feedback from any potential NBA player witness).  Conversely, with this chick, the prosecution will look for witnesses that have nothing but good things to say about her, while Kobe's camp will try to do the opposite.

GEE and you didnt have to work in a law office to figure that out? ;)

I dont know many 19 year old girls/women who dont want attention. ODing on tylenol pm looks pretty shady. I hope i am wrong and its not allowed.

Why would you hope it's not allowed? Doesn't an attempted suicide say a lot about a person? Sure, it doesn't mean she's lying, but it at the very least shows that she was and possibly still is mentally unstable. That, IMO, is something that definitely needs to be examined..especially when a man's life is on the line.

Why would you hope it's not allowed? Doesn't an attempted suicide say a lot about a person? Sure, it doesn't mean she's lying, but it at the very least shows that she was and possibly still is mentally unstable. That, IMO, is something that definitely needs to be examined..especially when a man's life is on the line.

Because i believe that fact alone will get Kobe off the hook, whether he is guilty or not. I want justice and there will be no justice.

Because i believe that fact alone will get Kobe off the hook, whether he is guilty or not. I want justice and there will be no justice.

Well, if there's physical evidence, that will override any OD stories. It will likely come down to what the DA has.

Well, if there's physical evidence, that will override any OD stories. It will likely come down to what the DA has.

Yeah who knows. All i know is there was tons of physical evidence on OJ and he got off on BS............i dont want kobe to be guilty or innocent. I just want whats right. Girls who OD get raped too.

Yeah who knows. All i know is there was tons of physical evidence on OJ and he got off on BS............i dont want kobe to be guilty or innocent. I just want whats right. Girls who OD get raped too.

Yes...and at the same time, people who OD and are mentally unstable make up stories. That's all I'm saying -- just pointing out the alternative since most seem to be piling on Kobe.

Does anyone also find it odd that no one but her "friends" are stating this story (about her "attempted suicide")? No one (media) can get ahold of 911 records - which are public - not one person from the hospital. Nothing. Just her "friends".

:huh:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/loca...2124167,00.html

If you also think about her "friends" for a second... the girl is 19, so resonably her friends are probably in the range of 16-25ish. Not exactly the most reliable source of information. And if the girl is the daughter of a billionaire, factor in jealousy etc... I don't count on them for much at all.