Lee's baserunning

IlliniKrush

As soon as he hit it, i was thinking two. Then as he got about half way to 1st it was apparent there was no way he'd get to 2nd....he'd get thrown out by about 50 feet. So he rounds the base and gets in a rundown and thrown out. Terrible baserunning, i was so pissed sitting in my seat. That could have been a huge baserunner. Instead, not only does he not run to 2nd and at least get thrown out there....he stops like 40 feet off of 1st and leaves himself completely dead.

That, and what was with Alomar having no range on that hit that almost tied the game? Maggs had to run a long long way for that, and Alomar just stopped. He could have had that ball.

I posted about the same thing in the 'opportunities' thread. The 8th inning at-bats of Ordonez and Everett were atrocious, this team thinks they can snap their fingers and just win a game. The number of at-bats that we give up (thomas three, Lee two, and Ordonez,) guys that look like they just want to go sit back down is mind numbing. We easily could have split with the Tigers and were not very impressive last eve.

I posted about the same thing in the 'opportunities' thread.  The 8th inning at-bats of Ordonez and Everett were atrocious, this team thinks they can snap their fingers and just win a game.  The number of at-bats that we give up (thomas three, Lee two, and Ordonez,) guys that look like they just want to go sit back down is mind numbing.  We easily could have split with the Tigers and were not very impressive last eve.

Sorry i looked around for something on that but didn't see it

Anyway, ya a run in that 8th woulda been huge, and the baserunning move by Lee was just awful. It was just stupid because everyone in the ballpark could see it coming. I just kept thinking stop stop stop and then when he finally did, he was almost halfway to 2nd. Did he actually think he had a shot to get to 2nd? That ball was cutoff pretty easily.

As soon as he hit it, i was thinking two. Then as he got about half way to 1st it was apparent there was no way he'd get to 2nd....he'd get thrown out by about 50 feet. So he rounds the base and gets in a rundown and thrown out. Terrible baserunning, i was so pissed sitting in my seat. That could have been a huge baserunner. Instead, not only does he not run to 2nd and at least get thrown out there....he stops like 40 feet off of 1st and leaves himself completely dead.

That, and what was with Alomar having no range on that hit that almost tied the game? Maggs had to run a long long way for that, and Alomar just stopped. He could have had that ball.

Give Alomar a break on that play. He did the right thing by waiting to see if the ball was caught, there for not allowing him to score from 2nd. It was hard play to judge. If he didn't wait and took off at the 1st minute and the RF would have made the catch then you would be on here saying what a terrible mistake because he should have waited to see if he had made the catch.

Give Alomar a break on that play. He did the right thing by waiting to see if the ball was caught, there for not allowing him to score from 2nd. It was hard play to judge. If he didn't wait and took off at the 1st minute and the RF would have made the catch then you would be on here saying what a terrible mistake because he should have waited to see if he had made the catch.

No no no, i meant the hit by the Indians that Maggs did a slide for that he didn't get to. I thought Alomar could have gotten there easily, but he pulled up and let Maggs run a mile for it

The baserunning play by Alomar was the right play, no doubt.

Wow, I thought they won last night.  :huh:

Ya, i know. Hate to be "sooo negative", but winning clubs don't run the bases as poorly as we do. If martinez scores in the 9th and ties the game, then i guess it'd be perfectly fine to mention the Lee baserunning gaffe. There'd probly be a thread 50 posts long on it. I just can't let it go just because we won. Stupid baserunning is one of the things that upsets me the most about this team.

No no no, i meant the hit by the Indians that Maggs did a slide for that he didn't get to. I thought Alomar could have gotten there easily, but he pulled up and let Maggs run a mile for it

Oh my bad then, Yeah that was a bad play. But atleast we still got the out.

If we won the game how exactly did he cost us?  Let's just be thankful for what we got, there is no reason to go looking for things to complain about if we won the game.  There are enough things to complain about when we lose.

You don't just let things slide and cover them up when you win. So if we lost that'd be perfectly fine to bring up, but if we win we assume we had a perfect game? I don't buy it.

That is Maggs call. If Alomar gave up on it, it had to be either because he had no chance on it, or Maggs called him off.

Ya, i know. Hate to be "sooo negative", but winning clubs don't run the bases as poorly as we do. If martinez scores in the 9th and ties the game, then i guess it'd be perfectly fine to mention the Lee baserunning gaffe. There'd probly be a thread 50 posts long on it. I just can't let it go just because we won. Stupid baserunning is one of the things that upsets me the most about this team.

And if some of the line shots were hit in gaps instead of right at Gerut and Crisp, the game may have been a blow out. Lot's of "ifs" in baseball.

Yeah, they won alright, but you can still see why they are going nowhere but .500 this year. Only a Carl Everett single bailed them out. Thank you Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee for both swinging at garbage third strikes, AGAIN not getting runs home from scoring positions with less than 2 outs. Thank You Carlos Lee, for another baserunning case for sending you home on the short bus. Sorry for the negativity, but this team ain't playing in October.

And if some of the line shots were hit in gaps instead of right at Gerut and Crisp, the game may have been a blow out. Lot's of "ifs" in baseball.

Whereas line drive outs aren't stupid plays, what Lee did last night sure is

Huge difference. While there are ifs and baseball, you can't give away outs. Lee gave away an out. A line drive at an outfielder doesn't give away an out. You actually hit the ball well, did something positive, that turned into an out

Huge difference. While there are ifs and baseball, you can't give away outs. Lee gave away an out. A line drive at an outfielder doesn't give away an out. You actually hit the ball well, did something positive, that turned into an out

So Bradley gave them one back with his bad baserunning and it evened out.

The baserunning isn't the greatest, but who would have thought that the Sox would be 4th in the league in pitching and tied for third in fewest errors commited? Everyone was screaming that they couldn't go anywhere without good pitching and defense. Now they have that. They just won four in a row, and instead of finding a way to lose last night (like they were doing all year long), they found a way to win. Instead of Everett's single landing in the third baseman's glove, it went for a single and gave them the lead. Instead of that long fly ball in the 8th tying the game, Everett caught it on the track. Instead of Hafner's hit going down the line and tying the game in the 9th, Paulie grabs it for the out.

Why dwell on the few lowlights? They are in a very weak division with lots of games left against the team in first. The pitching is the best it has been since the first half of 2000. The bullpen with the exception of Koch is stabalizing. The defense has improved greatly over the past couple years. If the bats keep coming around and some of those shots like last night find the gaps, they will score a lot more than 4 runs.

The baserunning isn't the greatest, but who would have thought that the Sox would be 4th in the league in pitching and tied for third in fewest errors commited? Everyone was screaming that they couldn't go anywhere without good pitching and defense. Now they have that. They just won four in a row, and instead of finding a way to lose last night (like they were doing all year long), they found a way to win. Instead of Everett's single landing in the third baseman's glove, it went for a single and gave them the lead. Instead of that long fly ball in the 8th tying the game, Everett caught it on the track. Instead of Hafner's hit going down the line and tying the game in the 9th, Paulie grabs it for the out.

Why dwell on the few lowlights? They are in a very weak division with lots of games left against the team in first. The pitching is the best it has been since the first half of 2000. The bullpen with the exception of Koch is stabalizing. The defense has improved greatly over the past couple years. If the bats keep coming around and some of those shots like last night find the gaps, they will score a lot more than 4 runs.

Good points. I guess why i'm so upset over base running is because it's the easiest thing to correct and one of the most coachable things. It's mainly a mental thing whereas everything else is physical. Mental errors are unacceptable in my book. Physical errors happen. I guess that's how i'd explain it. If guys were getting rocked on the mound, i wouldn't label them as stupid and get as upset, because that happens. But as most coaches will tell you, there's no room for mental errors. Also, when i played i was a really good base runner, it was one of my strengths, and i just don't think it's really that hard to do well. It's just frustrating.

And as far as Bradley goes, unless he ran through a stop sign, that's the 3rd base coach's fault.

Good points. I guess why i'm so upset over base running is because it's the easiest thing to correct and one of the most coachable things. It's mainly a mental thing whereas everything else is physical. Mental errors are unacceptable in my book. Physical errors happen. I guess that's how i'd explain it. If guys were getting rocked on the mound, i wouldn't label them as stupid and get as upset, because that happens. But as most coaches will tell you, there's no room for mental errors. Also, when i played i was a really good base runner, it was one of my strengths, and i just don't think it's really that hard to do well. It's just frustrating.

And as far as Bradley goes, unless he ran through a stop sign, that's the 3rd base coach's fault.

Yeah, it sucks to see, but at least he was being aggressive. My only problem with it was he should have kept going to 2B and made them make a play.

Every team is going to make mental errors, the good ones find ways to win in spite of them.