AJ throwing out baserunners?

RME JICO

I saw this little nugget in the post game wrap-up:

Pierzynski threw out two of three runners trying to steal. He has erased nine of his last 23 would-be base stealers, but is only 18 for 106 overall this season.

So he is 9 out of his last 23 compared to 9 out of his first 86? That is a huge difference. Are slower players running on him lately or has he actually improved in this area?

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)

So he is 9 out of his last 23 compared to 9 out of his first 86? That is a huge difference. Are slower players running on him lately or has he actually improved in this area?

AJ has remained the same. The pitchers have improved. Remember, the catcher really has a maximum of 10% to with stolen bases.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 03:26 AM)

The dig was against Sox pitchers not holding on runners and then their slow deliveries to the plate didn't give AJ a chance. He has looked pretty good the last few games I have been able to watch, but you see guys like Buerhle and Danks holding runners close. Contreras weas one that runners etole on a lot because of that slow move to the plate

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
The dig was against Sox pitchers not holding on runners and then their slow deliveries to the plate didn't give AJ a chance. He has looked pretty good the last few games I have been able to watch, but you see guys like Buerhle and Danks holding runners close. Contreras weas one that runners etole on a lot because of that slow move to the plate

Buehrle has always held runners close. It's very rare when players steal against him, simply because of how good his pickoff move is and his quick delivery to the plate. You literally have to wait for him to commit towards home before you can take off, and that doesn't give you any time at all to get to 2nd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Buehrle has always held runners close. It's very rare when players steal against him, simply because of how good his pickoff move is and his quick delivery to the plate. You literally have to wait for him to commit towards home before you can take off, and that doesn't give you any time at all to get to 2nd.

To steal off of MB, you have to go off of first move and hope he throws home.

A.J. has always thrown OK, but a few of the pitchers on the staff give him zero to no chance. I would imagine if he was on a staff that held runners well he'd have about average to slightly above average numbers.

I hope they bring someone in to ST to work with the pitchers on that, when it is bad for the Sox it's horrible