Ecology Homework

SockMe

Im working on this worksheet and there are a few questins I cant find.

Pond>becomes_______>________ continues to fill in bottom> a ________ community eventaully forms>animal commmunities become more________.

As temp. increases, body temp of animals______>metabolic rate_______> O2 demand______.

as temp. increase, effect of toxic chemicals______> damage to organisms________bottom conditions of ponds: lots of decomposition = lots of _______ but not much ______ or _______.

The trunover of the layering of the pond occurs seasonally and is called_____.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Im working on this worksheet and there are a few questins I cant find.

Pond>becomes_______>________ continues to fill in bottom> a ________ community eventaully forms>animal commmunities become more________.

As temp. increases, body temp of animals______>metabolic rate_______> O2 demand______.

as temp. increase, effect of toxic chemicals______> damage to organisms________bottom conditions of ponds: lots of decomposition = lots of _______ but not much ______ or _______.

The trunover of the layering of the pond occurs seasonally and is called_____.

Fun stuff. Do your own work. :lolhitting

Seriously, the first problem question is about pond ecological succession as it silts over.

Question two, everything increases with temperature. Q10 rule, baby, which is a double whammy in aquatic systems because as water temperature increases metabolism and respiration speed up but oxygen levels in the water go down because warm water holds less DO at saturation than cold water.

Question three, first half is more of the same, and the second half I honestly don't know what they are getting at without seeing the context of the readings. If the context involves summer pond thermal stratification (see below), then the second part of the question may be referring to the seeming paradox of high nutrient availability (due to organics breakdown) in the bottom strata but very litle primary production because phytoplankton are in the the upper strata. a condition which persists in temperate ponds and lakes until turnover occurs (see below).

Seasonal pond turnover is destratification — at which time the nutrients that have been locked away in denser, cooler bottom strata mix with warm, less dense upper strata.

So, basically, Do Your Own Work! :lolhitting

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
Fun stuff. Do your own work. :lolhitting

Says the guy that saved my ass with some stats work late at night :lolhitting

My Professor could not believe where and how I received the help :lolhitting He actually introduced me to another professor and told the story, four years later.