Anyone doing RAGBRAI this year in Iowa?

WilliamTell

• 1 month later...

I don't have to worry about the camping because it's going around my hometown, haha. But I'm not totally sure on this, I think they have set areas were people can camp whether you bring a tent or have an RV at a camping site. Basically you need an extra person to drive supplies to each designated town while the other bikers are riding. But I may be wrong, I haven't done it yet. RAGBRAI is starting today though. I get to ride on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. Can't wait!

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
That sounds awesome. How is the camping? I would be concerned for waking up stiff after a long ride.

So, on RAGBRAI, you have multiple options at each overnight town. The basic option is, there are camping areas set aside in each town (typically a park or football field, occasionally a fair grounds), and your RAGBRAI fee pays for your bag to be trucked from one to the next for you. So you get up in the morning, throw your bag on the truck, and when you arrive in the next town, your bag is waiting for you there.

You can also go with a shuttle company that will sometimes add the feature of setting up a camp area for just their customers in each town - this tends to make it less crowded, which is nice.

Another level up, each overnight town has a list of residents that volunteer their homes for people to either camp on their lawn, or in some cases actually stay in their house. This is kind of neat, because its quieter, less crowded, you get a real bathroom, and you get to know some nice locals. Great experience.

If you go with a big team, then they also might have their own facilities, RV's, or whatever.

And if you are really, really lucky, you find a hotel or motel room - but good luck getting one more than an hour after the route is announced in January.

I've done all the above except for a big team. All worked fine.