Going to Spring Training

Soxguy

My wife and I are thinking about driving the 5 hours to watch some spring training. We are thinking about going for a weekend, leaving Friday night and coming back Sunday night. I figure we could catch games Saturday and Sunday. I was just wondering what else is there to do besides the actual games (baseball related or not) and if anyone can offer any tips for going? We are not even sure where to buy tickets or how much they cost.

I've never been to any spring training so anything you can offer is appreciated!

YOu should be able to easily buy tickets at the park, and avoid all the ticketmaster charges. YOu can view the schedule and buy tickets at the sox website. If you go next weekend, and you are a blackhawks fan, you can see them play the COyotes. That is what I'm doing.

If you go to see the Hawks, or not, the area outside jobing.com arena is a whole entertainment and shopping area. This is also in Glendale, about 5 minutes from Camelback Ranch.

Here is a link to that:Westgate City Center

The drive isn't too bad. Probably around 5.5 hours. I come from Orange County and usually with one short meal stop we are there between 5:15 and 6 hours.

Great restaurants in Arizona, hiking if you want to do that, or golf if you and your wife play that. Plenty of stuff to do, imo.

I'll be driving out there in a couple more weeks for my annual trip. It really is a great time.

My one question is how much does your wife like baseball?

Thanks for the info Tony. I'll check out going to the hawks game too and check out that link you sent me.

The drive doesn't sound so bad. My wife likes baseball but isn't an enthusiast yet. She only started learning when we met about 4-5 years ago. She is starting to like it (and the Sox) more and more and enjoys going to games. Her favorite plays is Carlos Q because he grew up where she did.

QUOTE (Soxguy @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 07:02 AM)
My wife and I are thinking about driving the 5 hours to watch some spring training. We are thinking about going for a weekend, leaving Friday night and coming back Sunday night. I figure we could catch games Saturday and Sunday. I was just wondering what else is there to do besides the actual games (baseball related or not) and if anyone can offer any tips for going? We are not even sure where to buy tickets or how much they cost.

I've never been to any spring training so anything you can offer is appreciated!

I'm heading over Friday as well and have 2 extra tix for the Sox vs Cubs in Glendale. Let me know if you want them and I can send you my cell #. They're good seats, infield box sec 115, $30 each. But you might find even better online still, like I did. Have fun, I'm psyched!

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
YOu should be able to easily buy tickets at the park, and avoid all the ticketmaster charges. YOu can view the schedule and buy tickets at the sox website. If you go next weekend, and you are a blackhawks fan, you can see them play the COyotes. That is what I'm doing.

If you go to see the Hawks, or not, the area outside jobing.com arena is a whole entertainment and shopping area. This is also in Glendale, about 5 minutes from Camelback Ranch.

Here is a link to that:Westgate City Center

That's where I stay as well. There's a Mexican restaurant at the entrance to the whole place that is freakin awesome. Otherwise there are some good restaurants a little north as well in Peoria.