that game sucked

hawkiconk

I love Hawks response the umpire's stupidity.

"this guy doesn't understand the game of baseball"

Someone mind filling me in on what he was doing? I missed 6+ innings.

Throwing Matt Ginter out of the game for "throwing" at a batter with an 0-2 count and a runner on 3rd with one out. If he wanted to put the runner on, he would have given him the walk, or just hit him with the first pitch.

The thing that irritated me the most were the two big mental errors.

#1 no one covering 2nd on that straight steal. Olivo still managed to almost throw out the guy even after standing there waiting for Jose or Robbie to cover the damned base. I gotta imagine that is Jose's fault, and that he should have been covering, but I am not sure.

And #2 No one covering 3rd base on the sac bunt attempt causing all of the runners to be safe. Once again it looked like it should have been Jose covering 3rd on a wheel play, but he was no where to be seen. It looked like Crede was sent in to charge the ball and try to make the play. How different could the game have been if these two simple plays had been made???

#1 no one covering 2nd on that straight steal.  Olivo still managed to almost throw out the guy even after standing there waiting for Jose or Robbie to cover the damned base.  I gotta imagine that is Jose's fault, and that he should have been covering, but I am not sure. 

And #2 No one covering 3rd base on the sac bunt attempt causing all of the runners to be safe.  Once again it looked like it should have been Jose covering 3rd on a wheel play, but he was no where to be seen.  It looked like Crede was sent in to charge the ball and try to make the play.  How different could the game have been if these two simple plays had been made???

Olivo's best bet was to let it go foul (looked like it had that spin on it to go foul easy)

#1 no one covering 2nd on that straight steal.  Olivo still managed to almost throw out the guy even after standing there waiting for Jose or Robbie to cover the damned base.  I gotta imagine that is Jose's fault, and that he should have been covering, but I am not sure. 

And #2 No one covering 3rd base on the sac bunt attempt causing all of the runners to be safe.  Once again it looked like it should have been Jose covering 3rd on a wheel play, but he was no where to be seen.  It looked like Crede was sent in to charge the ball and try to make the play.  How different could the game have been if these two simple plays had been made???

Olivo's best bet was to let it go foul (looked like it had that spin on it to go foul easy)

Yeah, but unless the grounds crew has changed the slope of the lines this year, that ball always stays fair if it rolls onto the line. It would have had some good spin if it went foul.

I've been thinking about this, and if it would have happened we may have won. I'm not blaming Miguel for this, however. Anyways, here it goes.

On the pitch before Tucker fouled it off his leg, causing the injury, Olivo couldn't hold on to the 2 strike foul tip (whick Tucker probably wishes he did, as it turned out), which would have made one out. As it happened, Harvey came in and walked and scored. Also, if we had gotten Tucker/Harvey out, all of those 2-out runs wouldn't have scored. Amazing how big something so small can be.

I've been thinking about this, and if it would have happened we may have won. I'm not blaming Miguel for this, however.  Anyways, here it goes.       

On the pitch before Tucker fouled it off his leg, causing the injury, Olivo couldn't hold on to the 2 strike foul tip (whick Tucker probably wishes he did, as it turned out), which would have made one out. As it happened, Harvey came in and walked and scored.  Also, if we had gotten Tucker/Harvey out, all of those 2-out runs wouldn't have scored.  Amazing how big something so small can be.

The time to adjust to a foul tip is nil. Basically it goes into your mitt or it doesn't. A catcher does not have the time to move to catch it.

I've been thinking about this, and if it would have happened we may have won. I'm not blaming Miguel for this, however.  Anyways, here it goes.       

On the pitch before Tucker fouled it off his leg, causing the injury, Olivo couldn't hold on to the 2 strike foul tip (whick Tucker probably wishes he did, as it turned out), which would have made one out. As it happened, Harvey came in and walked and scored.  Also, if we had gotten Tucker/Harvey out, all of those 2-out runs wouldn't have scored.  Amazing how big something so small can be.

Ya, you can't fault Olivo for not holding on, it either gets in your mitt or doesn't, like ss2k3 said.

Another thing i noticed and i don't know if anyone commented on this. That reminds me. That delay was what, 7-8 minutes maybe? I don't recall jon garland tossing with anyone the entire time of the delay, and then he threw a ball to Harvey. All he had to do was throw a strike with some movement and he probly would have struck out a cold Harvey. Unless i missed it...why didn't Jon toss around to stay warm? That was a long delay.

Ya, you can't fault Olivo for not holding on, it either gets in your mitt or doesn't, like ss2k3 said.

Another thing i noticed and i don't know if anyone commented on this. That reminds me. That delay was what, 7-8 minutes maybe? I don't recall jon garland tossing with anyone the entire time of the delay, and then he threw a ball to Harvey. All he had to do was throw a strike with some movement and he probly would have struck out a cold Harvey. Unless i missed it...why didn't Jon toss around to stay warm? That was a long delay.

Garland didn't throw anything to Harvey, as he was stationed on the bench. Schoeneweis, however, did not throw anything between the injury and ball 4.

Yes, like I said, I'm not at all blaming Miguel. It's just they way it worked out.

I've been thinking about this, and if it would have happened we may have won.   I'm not blaming Miguel for this, however.  Anyways, here it goes.       

On the pitch before Tucker fouled it off his leg, causing the injury, Olivo couldn't hold on to the 2 strike foul tip (whick Tucker probably wishes he did, as it turned out), which would have made one out. As it happened, Harvey came in and walked and scored.  Also, if we had gotten Tucker/Harvey out, all of those 2-out runs wouldn't have scored.     Amazing how big something so small can be.

Garland didn't throw anything to Harvey, as he was stationed on the bench. Schoeneweis, however, did not throw anything between the injury and ball 4.

Yes, like I said, I'm not at all blaming Miguel. It's just they way it worked out.

ah, i meant to say schoe, but the thought still follows through