Robbie Alomar worth the trade

sox-r-us

This guy made an unbelievable play in the 1st with the catch with a man on 2nd base

And then his base running got us the run when CLee got a lucky hit

In general, Robbie has been very good for us. I wish he would get his power back but I think he has lost that HR hitting power of his for good.

This guy made an unbelievable play in the 1st with the catch with a man on 2nd base

In general, Robbie has been very good for us. I wish he would get his power back but I think he has lost that HR hitting power of his for good.

We don't need Robbie to hit hr's. I think he's been a very fine addition to this ballclub. He's hittin around .300 since the trade has a solid obp and has played a tremendous 2nd base...And also he's one of the few guys on the team that can lay down a bunt...I guess it's true that Alomar gets disintrested when he's not in a situation where he can win...

Robbie Alomar is hitting above .300 for us, great defense, a huge experience(2 world series), great character, gets on base, plays fundamental baseball...he is worthing much more than most guys in the time of the trade thought.

No question, Robbie is an upgrade at second base, particularly on defense. But it doesn't make sense to compare him to the departed Jiminez, because I believe that Harris would have been getting most of the action at second had we not acquired Alomar. Jiminez was already toast.

If Robbie can continue hitting .290 or so, he will get some offers next year, particularly from us.

Who'd we give up for him? I was surprised as anyone when i turned on the game my first day back and saw him playing second base for us.

Who'd we give up for him? I was surprised as anyone when i turned on the game my first day back and saw him playing second base for us.

Royce Ring, Edwin Almonte, and some other no name minor leaguer.

IF Andrew Salvo.

The deal was definitely worth the trade! Look at the Sox record since Robbie and Carl joined! Hes getting on base (.390 OBP) and he is playing great defense. When he gets on base, he really forces the issues. He's 3-4 in steals but hes running the bases smart. EX: Last night when he was on 2nd, CLee hit the groundball of Randa's glove, RTobie hustled al the way from 2nd to score. Everyone else on the Sox team (with the exception of Valentin) would have stopped at 3rd.

It is too early to ask that question.  You can't rate a prospect trade when the prospects are still in the minors, come back in 3 years.

Then wasn't it too early to start the KW bashing regarding Ring when he traded an unproven minor league reliever for a Hall of Fame second baseman?

Where are all the Royce Ring lovers out there who said this trade was stupid because they didn't want to give up Ring?

If you look at his stats at AA Birmingham and Binghamton, it hurts to lose him. But, with a plethora of lefties already up, and some in AAA, we could afford to ship him out.

If you look at his stats at AA Birmingham and Binghamton, it hurts to lose him. But, with a plethora of lefties already up, and some in AAA, we could afford to ship him out.

Those are minor league stats though, not majopr league proven stats like Robbie's. I understand that we lost a prospect, but that's all he was, a prospect. I just think people around here talk about our minor league prospects as superstars, when all they really are is unproven talent.