College bats

Tannerfan

I still think college baseball, at least at the scholarship level, should use the laminated wooden bats. However, these new bats seem to be a step in the right direction.

Hopefully we will gradually see more players coming up with better approaches at bat and using all fields, instead of the majority that swing from the heels and try and pull everything.

Personally, for the sake of college baseball, I hate the new bats. No more "ping". It has really impacted a lot of natioanl programs too since power is just so far down that teams who were built on power are just getting killed (see LSU). The reality is there aren't many guys who early in there college career are going to be able to rake with regular bats.

However, I understand the safety use of things and I also understand that from a talent evaluator standpoint if everyone used wood bats it would make things easier.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Personally, for the sake of college baseball, I hate the new bats. No more "ping". It has really impacted a lot of natioanl programs too since power is just so far down that teams who were built on power are just getting killed (see LSU). The reality is there aren't many guys who early in there college career are going to be able to rake with regular bats.

However, I understand the safety use of things and I also understand that from a talent evaluator standpoint if everyone used wood bats it would make things easier.

I hate college baseball games where both teams score double digits. Hell, I hate working HS games where that happens. The game was becoming (or really already was) a joke.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
I hate college baseball games where both teams score double digits. Hell, I hate working HS games where that happens. The game was becoming (or really already was) a joke.

It's really not that common in college though. Sure, it happens, but the good conferences have enough pro prospects in their pitching staffs that it's not too often. The problem is mostly from worn out pitching staffs, which unfortunately happens more in regional play.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
It's really not that common in college though. Sure, it happens, but the good conferences have enough pro prospects in their pitching staffs that it's not too often. The problem is mostly from worn out pitching staffs, which unfortunately happens more in regional play.

In the CWS, many years the scores would be way too high. HR's get old. Worn down pitching staffs maybe, but balls were flying.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
In the CWS, many years the scores would be way too high. HR's get old. Worn down pitching staffs maybe, but balls were flying.

I should clarify. By worn down I meant guys pitching three days in a row or starters going on short rest. I'm not saying they are significantly worse by the end of the season.

Certainly there have been really high scoring games, but I got used to it and it grew on me. That said, I'm all for shorter games.