Ozzie makes SI Top 100 Twitter list

southsider2k5

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-white-...s-greatest-hits

Ozzie Makes SI's Top 100 Twitter List - We Remember His Greatest Hits

By Ricky O'Donnell - Blogger

Ozzie Guillen is named one of Sports Illustrated's 'Top 100 Twitter Follows' as we recap his best-ever tweets.

Follow @sbnchicago on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Chicago on Facebook.

Jul 14, 2011 - Sports Illustrated released its 'Top 100 Sports Follows On Twitter' today, and it has quickly become the talk of the Internet. That likely says more about what's *not* going on than the list itself, of course: baseball doesn't come back from its All-Star break until tonight (if anyone even notices), the ESPY's are unquestionably the lamest of all lame awards shows, and while the Women's World Cup has proved to be more galvanizing than anyone could have anticipated, the entertainment value it provides is still more novelty than anything to most tried-and-true sports fans. And as you may have heard, the NBA and NFL are still locked out, too. It takes a perfect storm for something as irrelevant as SI's list today to become the talk of the town, but dammit, the stars have aligned.

SI's list includes everyone from WWF WWE wrestlers to media members to real athletes (Rory McIlroy!) to Joe Rogan. I did the math -- yes, "counting" equates to math for us journalism majors -- and I follow 20 members of the list myself -- approximately 20 percent! While there are as many worthy selections (Ken Tremendous! Gilbert Arenas!) as head-scrathers (again....Joe Rogan?), there's one name I think we can all agree was a spot-on choice: White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. Guillen may be the lone Chicago representaitive, but at least Sports Illustrated picked the right guy.

Guillen's arrival on Twitter created a brief firestorm in February of 2010, and so far the White Sox manager has lived up to the hype. He tweets daily, alternates between English and Spanish, and can be counted on to write something funny or controversial at least once a month. On Twitter, can you really ask for anything else?

As an ode to Oz, SBN Chicago is here to recap his greatest ever tweets. Keep in mind that due to time and space limitations, many, many tweets were left on the cutting room floor.

Ozzie was ejected in the first inning of an April 27 game against the Yankees for arguing over a called third strike on Paul Konerko. Like anyone with a smartphone and a grievance is prone to do, Ozzie immediately took to Twitter to air out his complaints.

Just as Guillen expected when he typed those fateful words, the Sox manager was fined and suspended two games for the incident.

It may seem like a distance memory after the immense heartbreak of the Eastern Conference Finals, but the Bulls' regular season sweep of the Miami Heat was arguably the highlight of one of the most enthralling seasons in recent Chicago sports history. Ozzie Guillen was along for the ride just like the rest of us, and dished out of a few tweets for the ages during the Bulls' 93-89 victory over the Heat at the United Center.

As if "Rose is dirty great ass player" wasn't perfect enough, "Nice shot james lol" is my pick for the best tweet of all-time. Without trying to be clever or ironic, Ozzie perfectly summed up exactly how every Bulls fan -- nay, NBA fan? -- felt during one of LeBron's many late game failings.

He also made Deadspin's list of the 100 worst baseball players of all time. Career OBP of .286!!!!!

9. Ozzie Guillen, 1985-2000 (White Sox/Braves/Rays/Orioles)

Ozzie Guillen, like many managers, was a bad baseball player. His on base percentage in 15 seasons was .286. His slugging percentage was .238. But he won a Gold Glove, you say. And a Rookie of the Year award! He was a three-time All Star! And he stole a lot of bases! Actually, Guillen was caught on almost 40 percent of his attempts. And after his last All Star appearance at age 27 (for a season in which he had a .284 on-base percentage) he hung around for nine more years, doing nothing in particular with his glove and less with with his bat.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Same with me, and then with half of em being in Spanish, I just quit following him.

Half of them are English/Spanish and the rest are some other language he made up.

QUOTE (Carlo Paz @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
He also made Deadspin's list of the 100 worst baseball players of all time. Career OBP of .286!!!!!

9. Ozzie Guillen, 1985-2000 (White Sox/Braves/Rays/Orioles)

Ozzie Guillen, like many managers, was a bad baseball player. His on base percentage in 15 seasons was .286. His slugging percentage was .238. But he won a Gold Glove, you say. And a Rookie of the Year award! He was a three-time All Star! And he stole a lot of bases! Actually, Guillen was caught on almost 40 percent of his attempts. And after his last All Star appearance at age 27 (for a season in which he had a .284 on-base percentage) he hung around for nine more years, doing nothing in particular with his glove and less with with his bat.

Deadspin is wrong about his slugging numbers. Wrong by a lot actually.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Deadspin is wrong about his slugging numbers. Wrong by a lot actually.

Yea I wanna see the kind of funny math it takes to have a SLG lower than your BA. But seriously, checking Baseball Reference, its .338 so it was just a typo.